Starting a home build FG and looking for lots of advice.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Had a chance to work on the frame extension bumper and tow hitch recently. Will be bolting and welding it to the frame soon.

uploadfromtaptalk1404367630334.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1404367647867.jpg

dlh62c

Explorer
Looks good!

Before you get to far, check your states bumper height restrictions. In some states, it can vary depending on the vehicle's GVWR.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Thanks I'm in Washington the west coast one and it's 30 to the bottom. Most of the time I'll be a little above that but letting the air out of the air bags will put me below.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You obviously do not have to contend with the same 60% rule that we have to (max overhang = 60% of wheelbase).

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Well

(1) The body, fenders, and bumpers shall be maintained without protrusions which could be hazardous to pedestrians. In addition, the bumpers shall be so attached and maintained so as to not protrude beyond the original bumper line.

No vehicle shall be operated upon the public highways with any part of the permanent structure or load extending in excess of fifteen feet beyond the center of the last axle of such vehicle. This subsection does not apply to "specialized equipment" designated under 49 U.S.C. Sec. 2311 that is operated on the interstate highway system, those designated portions of the federal-aid primary system, and routes constituting reasonable access from such highways to terminals and facilities for food, fuel, repairs, and rest.

Honestly I'm not sure but I'm not going to need a inspection so I'm not sure anyone would know.,...

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
You obviously do not have to contend with the same 60% rule that we have to (max overhang = 60% of wheelbase).

I'm not aware of any US-spec like that - but admittedly it's not in my wheelhouse. Anyone know for certain if there is any spec? I always figure as long as the CG is between the axles it's all good. :)

1aquaholic

Adventurer
I've got some ideas on how to mount the sub-frame but would love input from all those out there who have experience, I have been reading everything I can find here.

20141018_103116.jpg20141018_103112.jpg20141018_103107.jpg

20141018_103144.jpg

j

dlh62c

Explorer
Well

(1) The body, fenders, and bumpers shall be maintained without protrusions which could be hazardous to pedestrians. In addition, the bumpers shall be so attached and maintained so as to not protrude beyond the original bumper line.

No vehicle shall be operated upon the public highways with any part of the permanent structure or load extending in excess of fifteen feet beyond the center of the last axle of such vehicle. This subsection does not apply to "specialized equipment" designated under 49 U.S.C. Sec. 2311 that is operated on the interstate highway system, those designated portions of the federal-aid primary system, and routes constituting reasonable access from such highways to terminals and facilities for food, fuel, repairs, and rest.

Honestly I'm not sure but I'm not going to need a inspection so I'm not sure anyone would know.,...

If you do and the bumper is too high, you can weld on what's called a Mansfield Bar.

SkiFreak

Crazy Person
You obviously have a camper body design in mind, but I don't really understand why you have steps and ramps in your subframe. Maybe you can elaborate on that.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
dlh62c

Damn I was hoping no one would notice that, good eyes! Yes as my attention was focused on many other parts of the fit, many angles, and clearance issues everywhere, I missed a very important spot. I made sure the cross members were spaced just right fore and aft of the dually and in my mind the outside part of the frame was outside of the tire....of course it was not, too much on the brain I guess. Anyway I will probably have to modify the frame right at the tire into an arched segmented section. I have been sleeping with the builder’s guild since I started this build and have scoured Owens masterpiece of a build/blog the last month or so but thank you for the resources. I am having trouble with the bump numbers in the builders guild for the dually, they are very big distances and as my build will be at cab height while on the road that space is precious. I will mostly be on the road with a fair amount of snow and beach use; of course I will go off road but will try to avoid any aggressive off-road use. At this point I don't plan on switching to SRW's, I have a 7'6" height restriction and SRW's would make that more difficult to achieve, this will be a hard wall popup. The bumper is under regs in WA State http://app.leg.wa.gov/wac/default.aspx?cite=204-10-022

SkiFreak

From the step forward will be a large elevated bed and under will be a large pass-through compartment for surf/kitesurf/snowboard/paragliding gear and a couple of bikes. From the step back will be the living space.

1aquaholic

Adventurer
Anyone have mounting suggestions? My plan at the moment is to copy Owens mounts http://canter4x4.com/technical/building-a-subframe-system-p2/# top portion would be alu and bottom would be steel. I would like to build 4 of these and mount them at all four corners of the 2X6 alu portion of my frame in the pics, but that is only the middle half of my sub-frame which I can see some pluses and minuses to. What do you guys think?

j

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne