Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

Default AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

As you can read about toward the end of this thread,

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...printer-Camper,

I've once again decided something needs to be more complicated and expensive. This time the victim is the 144" wheelbase, '03 Freightliner Sprinter van that I've been using as sort of a made-outta-leftovers camper. It's proven a really sweet van, and I recently decided it was worth making it a good bit spiffier.

I am very fortunate to once again enlist the talents of Paul Jensen, the craftsman who gets the credit for much work on my Wrangler camper:

P1010732.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...t-Edition-quot

and the camper conversion of the rear of my LX470:

064.jpg

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ighlight=LX470

I've loaded up the van with a bunch of bits and pieces and will head up to Paul's tomorrow.

083.jpg

With any luck, he'll keep you posted on the progress over the next few weeks.
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on all-terrains
    2008 Lexus GX470
    2008 Suzuki DR-Z400
    2006 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus Expedition Scooter

This should be good!!

Waiting.........
    A vehicle’s worth is not what you put into it, but what it put into you.
    '80 300GD "Radio Flyer"(SOLD)
    '03 G500 "O'erländewagen"(SOLD); Build thread, ExPo feature
    '07 E-350 6.0L UJOR 4WD "VANdiana Jones"; Build thread

M'kay….
    Jerry KD0ZDX
    2008 Land Rover LR3 2013 Ducati HyperStrada

Default #1

The calendar said it was January 15th, the pre-arranged day to take possession of the Hiscox Sprinter...The shop was cleaned out, the driveway was swept and hosed...My work calendar was clear of other work and my full focus will be getting the conversion done before March 1...

(above) So it begins...

(above) Empty and clean, I couldn't ask for a better way to start...

(above) Last month when Mike came up to discuss the conversion, he had a fully built particle board mock-up in place...I was expecting that when it arrived today...I'm glad that removing all of that is something I don't have to do...Thanks Mike...

(above) Let's finish the pre-build tour...Driver side wall...

(above) The side windows went in since I last saw the van...From the inside it makes a huge difference in the amount of light, from the outside the van seems bigger...

(above) On the curb side will be a built in fridge, some storage, a built-in seat, a convertible bed, a storage compartment for the toilet and cabinets above the window...

(above) Over here will be a built-in full size bed/sofa, sink, stove, microwave, blue and grey water tanks, water pump, inverter,more storage and cabinets above the window...

(above) Under the floor is a battery bank...I'll start with what's here and rework it as needed...

(above) I haven't really looked intently at what's here, but the previous work looks clean and professional...Whew, they all don't come that way...

(above) One thing I don't need to do much with is the insulation...Under the plastic wrapped fiberglass is foil bubble wrap glued to the walls...

(above) Driver side door...Not sure how this will look when it's done...

(above) Curb side door...Same thing...

(above) The first thing to happen was the removal of the upper wall cabinet...

(above) The headliner came out next...Nice to see it's insulated up there too...Looks like at some time, there had been wired-in lights...???...

(above) The front cabin headliner was next to come out...i'll be adding a shelf into that and it's easier and stronger to have it out to do it...

After you've done a few Sprinter conversions, the mystery of how these things come apart is gone...Pop a fastener here, pull this weatherstrip loose here, remove this screw, voila', it's out...

At the end of the day it was basically a fresh canvas...Compared to the other conversions I've done, it feels like I'm already a week ahead of schedule...Experience tells me that is an illusion...Don't get cocky, get busy...Momentum matters...

Yay! This will be fun to watch. I'm in.

Thanks for taking the time to document as always Paul!

Quote Originally Posted by PaulJensen View Post
    Looks like at some time, there had been wired-in lights...???...
    Yes, there were. I put the remote controlled battery powered LED pucks at the same locations where John had previously installed small, invidivually switched lights of this style:

Feel free to use that ceiling wiring for bigger lights if you want.

Heck of a start for half-a-day's work.
    Mike Hiscox

2003/2014 Sprinter 2500 mid/tall custom conversion
    2012 Porsche Cayenne TT on all-terrains
    2008 Lexus GX470
    2008 Suzuki DR-Z400
    2006 Honda PS250 Big Ruckus Expedition Scooter

This is great....I have been missing my fix of the Jensen magic....at times I find myself looking at older threads of Paul's work just to be amazed all over agan.
    Looking forward to more fantastic work.
    cigar smoking, wilderness first responding, ham talking night nurse who is overland certified and a fellow of the Royal Geographical Society.....
    now everyone say "so what where have you been lately?"

Page 1 of 35 12311 ... LastLast