AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

bstory

Observer
Well, I still keep hoping/dreaming of a mini split heat pump that can provide both cooling and heating for mobile applications. Haven't found it yet. The ones for big truck rigs aren't quite right - not efficient enough and most provide electric heat rather than heat pump heat. When I query the manufacturers of the residential units, they are quite explicit that the warranty would be voided with an install in a camper van. So we are coming back to consideration of installing a small window unit, such as this Energy Star rated Frigidaire 8000 BTU one. http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/FFRE0833Q1.html

I want low watts - this is 704 watts - low amps - this is 6.2 amps - low voltage start - and decent dehumidification. I have been looking at installs using similar venting and air supply setups to what you did in your first Sprinter. A lot of people with small fiberglass travel trailers are doing this and there are some fairly good installs shown in various places. The hope is that if the draw is low enough and the batteries are being topped up by the solar panels and the alternator when we are driving, that we could maybe run it for a few minutes at the end of the day, off the batteries, just to get the inside of the van cooled down after being away from it all day hiking or whatever. We'd need an inverter, which so far we have done without - nothing we really wanted to run on shore power. Almost all the time, of course, the AC would have to be on shore power, so the inverter/battery option might not be a high priority.
https://plus.google.com/photos/116459007686903112464/albums/5504329226263402513?banner=pwa

I do know a mini split installer here in town that used to install AC on fishing boats in Gloucester, who might be able to put in a fairly cheap one for us - the outside unit riding in a small cargo carrier on the hitch and the inside unit high on one of the side walls. I figure if anyone could help us do it he could. We would mount it on rubber motor mounts or something similar to reduce vibration and have him do anything else he recommends to protect it. Probably cover it when driving as some units don't like high winds - especially the cheaper ones I've looked at - but we don't need it anyway when driving. This option only would work if the unit was cheap enough that we didn't care about the warranty.

We have a larger version (older model) of a portable rolling AC like yours, but it is too big and too loud for our van. Wish we could use it since it just sits in the shed since we installed the Mitsubishi mini-splits in the house in 2012.

All this waits on selling some sculpture for the wherewithall, so meanwhile we are using the time to continue researching options, and avoiding camping in very hot places. The Fantastic fan, an additional 12 volt portable fan made by Fantastic, and the opening awning windows do a pretty good job in most situations.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Well, I still keep hoping/dreaming of a mini split heat pump that can provide both cooling and heating for mobile applications.
Yeah, me, too. Kimberley uses the split systems, so if you maybe know someone in Australia, try to get one for me, too. :)

http://www.kimberleykampers.com/off-road-camper-trailers-air-conditioning

I agree that the window ACs would be better than the portable units--better cooling, less noise, lower cost, lower current draw. I just couldn't figure out how to mount one through the window, and couldn't find the courage to perforate the exterior wall for an elegant permanent mounting.

FWIW, we got this Bionaire double fan (which has a thermostat and remote) at Amazon; it will fit in OK behind the window, and we can use it when it's not worth taking an AC:

Sprinter fan.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Really enjoyed this thread, cheers!

(especially the names of stuff & glues used, removes the need to respond to prying questions)
Thanks. Paul always goes out of his way to make sure people can learn something useful from his threads.

There's not been much to show off about the truck, but we've been using it a lot and it's been working great. Very good fuel economy and very nice for long highway slogs. Haven't come across anything I'd do different yet.

I'll write up anything if there's to report. The truck did get the September'a Build-of-the-Month, which is kind of cool:

http://expeditionportal.com/build-of-the-month-the-hiscox-sprinter/

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Trying to get hold of Paul. Anyone seen him around?
Try again. He was gone for three weeks on a Sprinter trip around the Northwest. Just got back.

Of course, I told him not to pay any attention to you. :sombrero:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Last week I was busy writing about how there's nothing to report, but today it struck me that I'd never put up any pictures of the new second bed arrangement, which is kind of a significant thing.

The board that makes up the bed base still stores underneath the sofa/bed 1:

attachment.php

But whereas the original second bunk was made by putting the light-but-reinforced on top of the curbside countertop/refrigerator lid,

attachment.php

the new setup places the two beds side by side. There really wasn't much wrong with the original rearward positioning, but the curve of the sidewalls meant that the sleeper fouled the blinds when they were down. It was also possible to use the sink, microwave, etc. with the someone in the rear bed, but it was kinda weird doing so.

So after a little thought, we found that there's enough room in front of the sliding door to put the bed board and still have enough space for a functional aisle. So that's what we did.

P1020138.jpg

The trick to having this be quick and easy was the ubiquitous-among-RVers folding footstool. Collapsed, there's room for it to ride in the big underbed drawer:

P1020134.jpg

And when it's deployed it is the right height to match the curbside seat base:

P1020135.jpg

So what you do is put the rear end of the bed board on the seat and the front end on the footstool. Between the yoga mat foam on the back and a pin that anchors the front curbside to the former extinguisher bracket, it doesn't move around.

P1020140.jpg

While changing around the bed, we upgraded the "mattress," cutting down a fairly cushy 2" memory foam topper. That thickness was selected because it still allows the lid to close flush over it.

P1020141.jpg

We found a fleece cover to put over it so there's a nice surface to sleep on. Shame about the awkward color. We'll perhaps be improving on that.

P1020142.jpg

The pad by itself is pretty good. If we want it extra cushy, it only takes a few seconds to inflate the Thermarest Prolite Plus sleeping pad to put on top of the topper. That arrangement is extremely nice.

All in all, a good improvement.

P1020143.jpg

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Thank you, gentlemen, for the kind words. This truck has exceeded my expectations, and we're pleased to share the setup.

bstory

Observer
folding footstool?

Hi Mike,

Pretty amazing you can fit two beds in that space and still have that extra seat there. So the foam mattress also fits in the other bed?/couch?

Now I want to know about this footstool. I realize you said it is ubiquitous, but never seen one before. Looks great. How does it fold and where can one get one?

Beth

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Pretty amazing you can fit two beds in that space and still have that extra seat there. So the foam mattress also fits in the other bed?/couch?
The rearmost end of the bed board sits on top of the "jump seat" base. Figure about two feet of the board length is on the seat base and four-and-change feet in the open space in front of the sliding side door.

Now I want to know about this footstool. I realize you said it is ubiquitous, but never seen one before. Looks great. How does it fold and where can one get one?
Google "Collapsible storage ottoman" and look at the images and you'll find connections to a number of retailers, including Kohl's and Walmart.

The best pictures I could find of how it works were at this eBay site . . . look at it fast, as I'm sure it will go away soon . . .

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Skammel-Zuo...rontgate-GrandinRoad-New-in-Box-/350951335178

but the gist of the idea is that a thin rigid floor is hinged at the bottom of one of the four rigid connected vertical sides. Fold the floor piece down and the sides become pretty rigid, then put the top on to close of the unit. When collapsed, the four-sides-and-floor piece fits in the lip of the ottoman top. Thus, it's pretty much a 15" cube when deployed, but a two-inch-thick 15" square when collapsed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz

Members online