AT IT AGAIN: Paul and Mike Convert a Mid/Tall T1N Sprinter Cargo

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
And a few loose ends . . .

We have privacy shades, custom made for T1Ns, that go around the outside of the windshield and front windows. However, it's inarguably easier to use shades that deploy from the inside. A pleated, reflective accordion shade that stores in a fairly innocuous plastic housing

P1010032.jpg

was attached so it covers the windscreen when pulled across and attached on the other side.

P1010033.jpg

We have fabric blackout curtains that snap over the side windows, but we were able to replace the one used on the slider window with a different size of the pleated shade.

P1010034.jpg

These shade units aren't custom for the T1N, so there are some gaps that let in light. But the gaps are all under an inch and thus the shades give more than enough coverage to work well as privacy shades.

We got a new grab handle for getting in through the slider

P1010017.jpg

which meant we could move the Sprinter handrail we'd transferred from the rear door to the slider back to the rear, though I rotated it to horizontal and attached it to the rear of the streetside cabinet, so we now have a combination towel rack-grabrail.

P1010014.jpg

We always carry a folding step stool to put outside the slider, but I stumbled on a semi-trick fix that makes it easier to get in and out without the stool. I knew that the short "running board" steps under the driver and passenger doors just bolted on and off--making them easy to remove if you have a reason, like use in a boulder field--but I recently discovered that the bolts go through elongated slots that allowed considerable adjustment. Simply by loosening the bolts and pulling the curbside step toward the rear, I was able to get it far enough back that it works as a handy step for making entry through the slider less of a climb.

P1010018.jpg

And we've also done some work with the truck electronics . . . we first put in a bluetooth-capable Jensen radio in the dashboard--good of Paul to help with our campers when he apparently owns a global electronics firm--and then put this round JBL marine radio into the forward edge of the curbside overhead cabinet, and then most recently put a small-form-factor Zotac Zbox computer below it.

P1010026.jpg

The white plug connects to the back of the previously-mentioned Vizio unit, and then it's simple to plug an HDMI cable from the Zbox to the Vizio. A wireless keyboard with touch pad is carried in the bag attached to the passenger's seat. At that point, the computer (which has a wireless adapter) will put an HD display--your browser window, Netflix, whatever--onto the Vizio. (Zbox computers are available at various price points; Newegg has a good selection.)

That's it for the moment. Responsibilities fulfilled, it's back to the rest of the To-Do list for me.

Last edited:

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
Oooh, I like that pleated shade Mike. Any hints as to a source for something like that?

Thanks much.

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
Oooh, I like that pleated shade Mike. Any hints as to a source for something like that?
Yep. Between the windscreen, slider, and one I bought to potentially pull across the front of the potti, they've got a bunch of my money.

http://www.dashdesigns.com/content/carsunshades.aspx

The silver reflective seems both classy and useful, but if your Astro needs a cheerfulness upgrade, know that you can get "Aloha" and a few other designs instead. :)

alohaShade.jpg.aspx

If they don't have one directly assigned to the use you want, you can e-mail them with the length and they will tell you what to order. My slider shade is, for example, for a Honda Civic.

BTW, thanks for the kind words about the usefulness of the build thread. Be sure to let me know if you need any more information. I'm a big fan of the Portal's Astro builds. I sold my '02 four years ago, and have regretted selling it at least three times a week ever since.

Last edited:

RickM

Observer
I am not sure how I have missed this full build thread. Very nice. Thanks for sharing such great detail.

GR8ADV

Explorer
In a leadership meeting at work I boldly stated that "the only constant in this world is Mike updating his vehicles". For some reason everyone just stared at me. :ylsmoke:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
In a leadership meeting at work I boldly stated that "the only constant in this world is Mike updating his vehicles". For some reason everyone just stared at me. :ylsmoke:
It's not as bad as when you met me, Ken. I'm getting better. A little. Kinda. :)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
What page did you go over the walls on?
Post 144 is about all there is.

There's not much "wall" at all in this camper. The overhead cabinets cover the side walls front to back down to the point where the windows start. And below the windows are cabinets. Pretty much the only wall surface that shows is behind/over the streetside sofa. (The slider and rear door panels retain their elegant factory-supplied grey plastic insets.)

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
T-nut to the head liner are strong enough to hold 50#? Or did it have to be fastened to the frame??
There's screw attachment to the metal in about four places in our front (over-cab bedding storage) area. It catches points where there's a sort of flange that has something to do, I think, with mounting a partition behind the cab seats.

For a heavier load, like the cabinets, you'd want to move to something like Riv-Nuts going into the ribs.

troubleboy

There's screw attachment to the metal in about four places in our front (over-cab bedding storage) area. It catches points where there's a sort of flange that has something to do, I think, with mounting a partition behind the cab seats.

For a heavier load, like the cabinets, you'd want to move to something like Riv-Nuts going into the ribs.

Great build!!! Sorry I'm late but I'm new to this forum. I've got to say that this is one of the nicer builds I've seen. Love your overhead cabinets. Did you use Riv nuts to mount them to ceiling ribs? They look like self tappers through the brackets in the photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles

Members online