CT90 or ?

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Think I've finally sold my scooter and I'm looking to replace it with something capable of handling dirt that I can just put on a receiver when going camping, taking hunting/fishing, and just tooling around town (less than 40mph, can go 25mph anywhere really). I was planning on picking up a ct90 or preferably a ct110 but titled ones in decent shape are difficult to find for a decent price so I am interested in alternatives people might suggest (xl200r?). I have no interest in interstate riding or fast dirt riding or heavy bikes. Just putt around forest roads, single track, and hauling the occasional elk. Willing to spend $1,000 (including getting it running proper and replacing needed parts).

Ideas?

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Yamaha TW200. Plenty of aftermarket support. Been basically the same bike for over 20 years and they are great off road. But you will need to search hard to find one for 1k

vicali

Adventurer
I would hold out for a CT.. As a retirement project my Dad bought one to 'fix-up'.
He searched for about 6 months and ended up paying $800, Spent another couple hundred on parts and restored it to better than new condition.

This month he's re-assembling #2, #3 is waiting to be restored, and #4 is currently a parts bike.
Once you start finding them they all come home with you..

82fb

Adventurer
Ct's are pretty lousy for a whole bunch of reasons. 240 pounds roughly. Near zero suspension. Handling is terrible. I have had several and cant figure out why people want them. Top speed around 35-40, bad brakes.

82fb

Adventurer
Yet you have had several....

Maybe they are fun.

Haha, no, they were my first bikes. Got them because they were cheap and I thought they would be good beginner bikes. I now have 8 bikes including ttr90, ttr110, two ttr125's, crf80f, xr100, wr250f, and a Rokon. Any of them are more fun than the ct90's. Well, maybe not the Rokon!

fluffyprinceton

Adventurer
HTML:
Ct's are pretty lousy for a whole bunch of reasons. 240 pounds roughly. Near zero suspension. Handling is terrible. I have had several and cant figure out why people want them. Top speed around 35-40, bad brakes.

209lbs wet with aux tank & 3/4 fuel load & front rack - just weighed mine... Can't defend them on suspension & handling & brakes except at 110 speeds what's the issue? Comfort? More comfortable than a horse or mule or walking... They sure could use a design update! BUT this being expedition portal there isn't another choice out there as good at being the bike you take off your bumper to go where your "mother ship" can't - in National Parks too as they are street legal unlike a Rokon (which is admittedly far superior off trail). Finally it all comes down to the bikes weight & dual range. It can go SLOW enough to walk it up most anything you can walk up and a slightly stronger that average male can lift it over stuff. As a 2 guy CT tag team & some rope you can drag them over some serious washouts & minor cliffs...

You can two up self rescue on any sort of dirt road if your main rig gets bogged - not comfortably but safely...and you could run on the shoulder of many freeways if you had to...All in all a great "lifeboat" for wildland travel.

Also they are light enough to run up a steep ramp so the hitch mount can be way up there & not mess with your entrance/exit angle.

Also...you get fist bumped by armored up guys on orange bikes in the middle of nowhere just because you are soooo cool...Moe

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
Well this is back from the dead....I ended up selling my 110 to buy an xl185 which I then sold and bought a BMW F650 Funduro which I then sold and am now motorcycle less and will probably stay that way.....maybe.

Around town the CT110 went faster than 35 and in my opinion handled just fine since it was so low and light. I loved running errands on that thing.....every ride was an epic. Low range with no clutch is amazing for putzing around fire roads.

Kiomon

Adventurer
Any of them are more fun than the ct90's. Well, maybe not the Rokon!
not to thread jack, but the rokon's look awesome, are they too hardcore for casual use?

As for alternatives to a CT90, we have two Sachs MadAss 125's. They will go 55 mph+, we have some enduro like tires and have had a blast with them in the dirt and road, and we keep them on the front of the Unimog. Great for beer runs when the rig is parked up somewhere. More details in our blog.

image.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles