M100 - new axle on old springs, etc.?

rustystruck

Is it possible to replace a M100's original axle with a new axle for different wheels while using the trailer's original springs, shocks, etc.? I'd like to replace my M100's original axle with one to accommodate the same tires/wheels as my 2011 JK. Can I still use the original shocks, spring mounts, etc. with the new axle? Or, will I have to have to use a different ones? Thanks!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
If you get a new axle with the same tube diameter you can use most of the original hardware.
I would suggest new U bolts as they tend to be damaged or stretched when used.

rustystruck

Thanks!

Sounds great! I was hoping that I could put the mounts, etc., in the same places. My big worries were that I'd need different sized shocks or springs.

There are several examples of what you are asking but I am not that great at finding and linking them to this thread. I know most swap for purposes such as electric brakes, track width and bolt pattern. You didn't specify but maybe swap in wheel adapters from 5 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 5 if that is the only issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rustystruck

In a previous thread you were exploring what it took to replace bearings and seals did you purchase them? How about some pictures of the M100.

Good point. Nope, I didn't. As is, the bearing pack was looking good and didn't seem to need immediate replacement. I'd planned long term to upgrade the axle to e-brakes and hubs made for JK wheels. The re-packing of the bearings was part of a short-term rehab/upgrade to include wheel spacers to accommodate JK wheels. I realized that it was more cost effective to just upgrade the whole axle. The process got shelved since October so I could finish building my house. It has also moved slowly since I"m having to out-source the welding, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz