The Rambulance: FL50 Freightliner Ambulance / Camper / Tow Rig - Conversion

MNtal

Observer
After driving mine from Miami to Phoenix I would suggest no radio but noise canceling headphones.

Does it gave the 8 x 275 weird lug pattern?

They Don't call them Shake liners for nothing. Yes 8 x 275mm lug pattern.

You scored a Horton, nice. They make the most solidly built rigs out there.

Solids an understatement...

Being that you are a Pirate guy you might want to check these guys out. http://www.tdsdrive.com/index.cfm/EZTrac/landing

EZ Trac - Power and Performance...

Yeah I saw those In Rocky's thread on the PBB and that you had a link in yours aswell. Pretty Cool should we see about a group Discount?

I'm betting it would be about 10k plus in parts... :Wow1:h

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
That truck has air brakes.

Actually I think you will find it has hydraulic disk brakes. From my research all the 8 lug Freightliners were hydraulic disks. They are big buggers and have plenty of stopping power with more feel but not as much stopping power real air brakes. (don't be confused by the air actuated park brake).

jtpaintball70

Adventurer
Nice looking bus... Ya know, me and my partners at work have talked many times about making our rigs into RV type things... I might just do it eventually.

MNtal

Observer
Not really a Rambulance Update, but hey I did use the truck, so try and cut me some slack ehhh...

Well life's been busy but I have been tinkering with my Rambulance when the opportunity presents itself. It came in pretty handy when I needed to transport my chassis jig out to the shop a couple weeks ago.

Thats a 500+ lb chunk of steel hanging out in the back like its no big deal...

IMG_0576_zpsf17869b1.jpg

IMG_0582_zpsc52a2b1a.jpg

IMG_0577_zpse6732c41.jpg

140410_CHASSIS_TABLE_zps2a3042a2.jpg

I have since changed directions with the plan for my Chassis Jig and plan to make the castors lower on both ends similar to this.

Heavy duty work bench with retractable wheels | Handle It!

2013-05-13-11-50-32_zpse0e1bef0.jpg

I have welded on 6 legs to the bottom of the jig with my FREEBIE version of adjustable feet (left over 5/8" Caridge Bolts w/ nuts) for leveling. But I still need to weld in stringers and rig up my caster drop bars and bottle jacks. it works for now without castors so that might have to wait till I have the most recent jeep doner. You can kinda see it in the background...

IMG_0621_zpsb2ba1446.jpg

MNtal

Observer
We'll life's been getting in the way less and I have been picking away at this project again; it’s been nice to get back to the project as I wasn't intending to let it stall out so bad.

Testing out the finished jeep TJ project:

IMG_20150124_152522_rewind_zpsgmar8iir.jpg

IMG_20141130_132819_zpsbbxgoj4k.jpg

IMG_61703616103734_zpskeek9jqh.jpeg

IMG_61788903985994_zpskndd7w6n.jpeg

In the last few weeks / months I have been acquainting myself with the Rambulance and replacing parts / picking away at small projects and trying to get two or three things done per weekend. Mix that in with a few steps forward and a few steps back and here is what I have been up to.

I started out by having the pleasure of replacing all three batteries since the truck likes to drain the starting batteries if it’s not left on a tender. I chose to purchase Napa Commercial Group 31 batteries since they are manufactured by East Penn Manufacturing, who also produce Deka batteries, come with a 3 year warranty, and cost me a little over $100 each with my discount at the off-road shop. I have mixed feelings on Napa parts, heck most Aftermarket or non OEM parts for that matter, I usually only purchase Orbital batteries for my personal Auto's, but I figured I would go with these batteries knowing it won't be a problem getting them warrantied should the situation call for it.

Group 31 Battery Specs>>>NAPA AUTO PARTS

So with three new batteries, a new Noco G7200 battery tender that I ordered off of Amazon to keep the bank happy I was getting ready to get the beast moved over to the shop to start working on the list of things I want to get accomplished. While doing a quick walk around I checked the tires and noticed one of the rear duels had gone flat and fallen off the rim. So I got to practice re-beading tires in the 0° temperatures.

Re-beading tires is not to bad if you have a little luck, a tire blaster, a small portable compressor, and a lot of practice. Once the tire was blasted back on the rim and filled back up to whatever the small compressor would muster, I lucked out once again when the alternator locked up and broke the serpentine belt. That was a very disheartening event, since knowing that my Alternator is a 270 amp unit, is the size of a milk pail, and with a manufacture like Leece Neville, it sure smells a lot like money. I was sure that it was not going to be a cheap repair and after doing some checking around for Model # A0014864jbI my fears were confirmed as remand units were looking to be in the $550-1000 price range.

Prestolite - Leece Neville

IMG_0428_zpsa367c5de.jpg

With the serpentine belt broken it meant no accessory drives, which left me pulling the unit outdoors in the -20° temperatures we were having at the time. Serves me right for letting the truck sit so long, so I got to removing the alternator in snot in your nose freezing temperatures and I sent it to a local shop that rebuilds units for us at the Off-road shop. I chose to roll the Dice and have the alternator rebuilt and I finally lucked out, total job ran $75, and only took around a week to get back. The following weekend it was back out in the cold to install the alternator. The install went rather quick but I ended up fighting with the belt for an hour and a half, I don't know I'm an idiot. Then after unthawing back inside it was time to blast the tire back on the truck for the second time.

Upon remounting the tire, and quick once over, it was time to get the truck over to the shop so the real work could begin. Or at least some work that didn't include freezing my balls off. I started off by cleaning out the truck compartments and removing the shelf's and dividers that were separating things. It’s amazing how much stuff you can clutter up one of these boxes with without the intention of even using it for storage. It’s kind of like having a self-propelled shed with lights and sirens.

The next task that I decided to pursue was attacking the squad bench and rear drug cabinet in the #5 compartment on the passenger rear side. I'll sure give it to Horton, those guys sure never intended for that stuff to come out easily. Upon getting everything but the rear cabinet wall cut out I called it a night and headed home for the night. Upon returning to the shop the following day I was welcomed back with a large puddle of brake fluid under the driver side. upon seeing that I inspected the backlines where they came out of the master. Finding rusty crusty brittle lines it confirmed what I was expecting to have to do later but was only hoping to put off for a while, I needed to redo all of the brake lines, awesome. Having enough for the weekend I packed up all of the stuff I had torn out and parked the truck back outside.

IMG_20150221_222048_rewind_zps2jr2vmvi.jpg

IMG_20150221_222055_rewind_zps4ejxgvx3.jpg

IMG_20150221_230226_rewind_zpswpkyjms0.jpg

IMG_20150222_192042_rewind_zpszztx3crh.jpg

IMG_20150222_192017_rewind_zpsu9pi0gge.jpg

The following weekend I brought the truck inside and started crawling around underneath to see how big of a job it was going to be to replace all of the lines. Let’s just say there are about 6 lines on the truck so its really not that complicated of a task, but let’s just also say that those six lines total about 65 feet that not only have to come off but they also have to be replaced with new stuff. All in all it took me about two and a half days to get through it, and I am very glad to have that job behind me. I'm also very thankful to have had a hoist that could get the truck up in the air at least far enough to me to stand underneath the truck as that was truly a blessing. One of the snags I ran into while replacing lines was a small electrical sensor that snapped off of the master cylinder. My guess was it was already broke and the rust was just holding the plastic on until I touched it and it came apart. $13 later at freightliner and that problem was solved.

IMG_20150228_220647_rewind_zpsq6histjn.jpg

IMG_20150301_164800_rewind_zpsq5im228m.jpg

IMG_20150301_163427_rewind_zpsrkofl6nl.jpg

IMG_20150302_224048_rewind-25357669_zpshgzwxpi9.jpg

The other snag that I had was getting the rear wheels off as it requires a 33mm socket for the lug nuts and our 3/4" Gun wasn't even interested in breaking them free. That's even running on a 3/4" air hose. Not sure what that was about, but a few broken adaptors later, one broken extension, an 8 foot pipe on my breaker bar and I was able to get the wheels off. The Torque spec tag on the passenger frame rail says 500ft/lbs but it sure took a hell of a lot more than that to get them to break free.

I also chose to replace the valve stem extensions for the inside rims since the ones that were on there decided to self-destruct.

IMG_20150302_225010_rewind_zpslbjot1yo.jpg

With that task done I moved on to replacing a leaky airbag that was on the rear passenger side, I found the part I needed online on at Leaf Springs, Air Springs and Suspension Parts and Service. My freightliner FL50 has the Hendrickson Low Leaf Air Ride Suspension in the rear and after cross referencing Hendrickson / Firestone part numbers I was able to find the new air spring needed and since I was at it, I decided to order new shocks as well. Those were finished installing those last Saturday along with a battery kill switch on top of the batter box since I am tired of the truck sucking the batteries dead when it sits off the tender for a few days.

IMG_20150228_220845_rewind_zpsrhsxsxgf.jpg

Next up on my list is changing the Engine oil and all of my fuel filters, Steering filter, typical maintenance stuff.

After that on the short list

Front Tow points (had to pull the truck out once already after digging holes with the 1 wheel wonder)
Build a rear receiver hitch
7 wire trailer plug & trailer brake controller
Rear View back up Camera
Strip the vinyl lettering

I'm going to try and keep it to a short list of things and that way I can try to keep myself motivated.

Last edited:

MNtal

Observer
Its a Mohawk Lift rated for 16,000lb's it grunted a little picking up the Rambulance, to the point where I questioned wanting to stand underneath it. But no one died so I'm glad I have access to it.

have you guys ever seen these?

truck.jpg

k9lestat

Expedition Leader
Yes sir. I friend of mine has two sets of them. He loves them. He works on big trucks and buses. As long as they are on the concrete pad they can bring the left to the vehicle.

rlrenz

Explorer
My buggy will be down at the 4x4 shop as soon as I can get some electrical system changes done and the batteries reinstalled. Probably half of my brake lines have been already been replaced, but I want to be sure EVERY ONE of the things is new - brakes are nice to have....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles