Trailer Water Filtration System

djwuzj

I'm stockpiling goods over the winter for my trailer build this spring, and now I'm onto water filtration.

The goal is to install a cost effective system, that could treat fresh water in a pinch (read: SHTF), but in all reality, it will just be to clean up already potable water.

Solutions vary widely in ability, and cost. The first is the Everpur water system from SurFlow... but carries a bit of a hefty price tag, and filtration ability is as good (no better) than the unit below...

I came across this on Amazon, and looks like it may fit the bill for the objectives above: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DVW0PI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Per Filtrete, it filters down to .5 microns, which is about the same as any backpacking filter, and also maintains good flow.

Any opinions on this? Thanks in advance!

plainjaneFJC

Deplorable
I don't think its a good SHTF option, as it is made to filter already potable water. I installed a simple filter for a kitchen in a barn that used pond water. The filter was a basic canister ceramic filter. I think the company was doulton. You need something to filter non-potable water. Look at the model RIF-10.

Last edited:

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Per Filtrete, it filters down to .5 microns, which is about the same as any backpacking filter

Not a good backpacking filter. A good one is down to 1 or 2 micron.
My Katydin is such a filter.

FYI most harmful water bacteria are between 2 and 5 micron.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
This is the filter we backpack with. We have two of them. One stays with the backpacking gear, the other goes on road trips just in case.

http://www.filtersfast.com/Katadyn-Pocket-MicroFilter-water-filters.asp

If you want a real SHTF filter, Id suggest this one...

Katadyn-Expedition-KFT-Water-Filter-8016389.jpg

http://www.filtersfast.com/P-Katadyn-Expedition-KFT-Water-Filter-8016389.asp

djwuzj

I'm on board with everything thus far. What I'm having trouble getting my head around is how the advertised .5 micron (yes, half a micron) is sub-par compared to the Ketadyns, etc.

Hand held back packing filters can be had for $100 or less, yet finding something for this application is pricey.

I have a Ketadyn as well, which in a pinch, would fill my reservoir so that clean water is going in. Goal is to avoid this, and anything with a price tag north of $100.

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Hand held back packing filters can be had for $100 or less, yet finding something for this application is pricey.

The Katydin we use is NOT your average joe $100 filter. You get what you pay for. The filter we use is a $400 filter.

That said, I refuse to cut corners due to cost for water filtration.

By the way, the filter we use is also rated for 13,000 gallons before the filter needs to be replaced. Try to wrap your brain around that one.... 13,000 GALLONS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne