Electrical connection to the trailer

Zubicon

Adventurer
05 Jeep TJ/Unlimited pulling a M416 trailer. I'll have no tongue box on it because I need to be able to get my tailgate open when the trailer is connected (Tuffy Drawer). Am I correct that I'll need a 7 pin to get the 12V power to the back? The only thing at the moment that I'll need to power is a water pump, might add a LED light or two. I'll probably just keep the Fridge in my Jeep so that it's ready to roll on any day trips from camp. So that said if a 7 pin is the correct answer can I just run that hot lead to a fuse box and hook up my WP and maybe a pair of LED's, or do I need a battery in which I have zero room for?

JUNAC

Observer
That's correct, the 7 pin connector will allow you to have auxiliary power at the trailer at all times. The auxiliary power wire is usually hooked to an accessory fuse at your vehicle fuse panel. If you plan on running a single wire (from the battery for example), make sure the fuse is installed as close to the battery as possible. It is not necessary to install another battery. Just be cognisant of the fact that if you leave an accessory on to long you risk draining your battery.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior