Fullsize SUV interior setups

ExploringNH

Explorer
I searched for a few months for a full size SUV before purchasing my Excursion. In the end I had decided on a 1999+ Suburban 2500 (hoping for 2003+ for the updated interior) or an Excursion. In the end, I think they both have benefits and downsides. I think the Excursion is a little more heavy duty than the Suburban, both inside and out. The Suburban has independent front suspension which would be a benefit in ride quality over the Excursion's solid Dana 50 front axle at the expense of durability. The Excursion has leaf sprung solid axles front and rear so the ride quality is similar to a truck. This limits speed on washed out or nasty dirt road sections. The truck makes up for that in the slow sections off road by providing far more articulation. The interior layouts are comparable and I can't say that one is a clear winner. You can make your plans work in either one. Pricing is about the same to get into them and they both are pretty reliable vehicles overall.

In my Excursion 6.8l v10 turning 37x13.5" tires and with stock gearing I get 8mpg in town and around 10 on the highway. I really like the Excursion but I think I would have been equally as happy with a 2003+ Suburban. As mentioned before, the diesel would get better mileage but the initial cost difference buys more gas than I would ever make up by having 3-5 more mpg. I think your price of $5k is reasonable for either vehicle and is about the same as I was willing to pay. I found my Excursion for significantly less with a couple of small issues that $200 took care of.

It seems we share much of the same vehicle requirements. I hope to have some time in the next week or two to start building up and laying out the sleeping platform. I need to buy a fridge before I start so funds will determine when that happens. Hopefully soon.

Last edited:
Well it seems as fate stepped in and had me make a different choice. An 82 Chev 3/4 ton with canopy just fell in my lap. Has a huge dent in the pass side fender, and a rust spot on the drivers side bed. Other than that it runs great, solid front axle which I prefer all for the best price of free.

Plans for it are bodywork and kitting out the rear end with a sleeping platform, fridge, tool boxes and recovery gear. Will start a new thread when this gets going :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior