F150 Good EXPO rig?

scoutzach

Hey everyone is a f150 a good expedition rig, i hear all different things like its too heavy and stuff. i have a f150 with a 6 inch lift and 37 inch tires and a offroad bumper (all other expedition mods will come shortly) what makes that a good rig and what makes them bad. i apologize about the mess haha.
Mudding 3.jpg

ttravis5446

Adventurer
It all depends on what you want to use it for. I really miss my old '10 F150 with the 5.4l on 35" tires on no lift. I never had a vehicle that could eat highway miles up like that thing. And I never did manage to get it stuck on 100's of miles of bad lease roads in North Dakota and Wyoming. Duratracks we're amazing on that truck.

34442E91-438D-448A-BA94-7A229A93506D_zps08j7qkmf.jpg

Last edited:

scoutzach

yea i just want to use it for trail riding im not gonna go rock climbing with the thing just get to my destination

ttravis5446

Adventurer
Seems like your truck is more than ready for that. I always believed that it's best to use your truck and do mods as you find you need them rather than doing mods for the sake of doing mods. That way you end up with a vehicle really we'll suited to what you do with it.

escadventure

Adventurer
I too am in the process of building a F150 expo vehicle. Most people criticism of the F150 is the load/haul capacity. What is 'possible' and 'safe' is usually an opinion based on financial strength. Look at what a lot of people around the world are driving with no problems. It takes just a bit of common sense to know when you're endangering yourself or others on the road.
I chose a 2000 F150 because I wanted something older(with less electronics) and I wanted the 4.6 / 355 set up which wasn't offered on anything else. Just because I have the fantasy that if I don't drive more than 60mph I can get decent fuel economy and it will still have enough power for overland travel. I found my 2000 with 60k on the odo. I don't think it will be too difficult to tweak the suspension to safely handle the higher loads I'll be carrying. And I won't be pulling anything, so a diesel wasn't worth. Although the 7.3 was very tempting...
Just my armpit... I mean opinion.

Big50

Adventurer
Of course it is! Plenty of room and very capable. Only downside would be the size compared to smaller rigs like Tacoma's or Jeeps can get into tighter areas. But there are downsides to those as well. They key is to get out there and start exploring. You'll quickly find which mods you should add.

Truck looks awesome btw. Reminds me of my old 05. Wish I never sold it.

Last edited:

Malamute

Observer
I'm not familiar with the question of load capacity for expo use, but springs are only one part of load carrying capability. I've worn out several (6-8, maybe 10?) axle shafts in 1/2 tons and light duty 3/4 tons. Heavy loads are hard on them. Worse case, they break, shearing the axle, and the wheel taking off on an adventure of its own, and you leaving a trail of sparks and loud scraping noises.

The issue with most 1/2 tons is the bearings ride on the shaft itself, wearing the shaft. The older 3/4 tons, and some of the older Ford 1/2 tons had separate bearings and races, when they wore, the parts could be replaced without replacing the axle shaft. They also had larger bearing surface areas than 1/2 tons. I think some of the Jap trucks had better bearing types also, but have not been in them.

scoutzach

i never thought about the axle shafts im sure there are aftermarket one that are stronger like chromoly or something

Last edited:

Malamute

Observer
i never thought about the axle shafts im sure there are aftermarket one that are stronger like chromoly or something

I don't know if there are any better aftermarket shafts available. That's one reason (besides the transmissions and most of the drive line components are heavier duty as well) many go to the 3/4 ton rigs. Many of the modern 3/4's have the same style bearings/shafts, but they have more surface area. The best are the full floaters, the ones with the raised center section in the middle of the rear wheel. I wore out the shafts in a light duty F-250 and just replaced the entire rear end with a heavy duty one with the full floaters. I think buying the complete rear end wasn't much difference in price to keep putting the light duty shafts in it and replacing the bearings and seals (also known as throwing good many after bad). The full floaters are close to indestructible compared to the light duty and 1/2 tons.

If you don't regularly carry a heavy load, the 1/2 tons are ok. I had a utility shell I had built, it had tool boxes on the sides, and a steel shell above. It weighed 620 lbs empty, and I kept camp gear, basic tools, gun junk, ammo, and water, etc in it at all times. My trucks probably had 800-1000 lbs on them at all times. In uses like that, 1/2 tons axles aren't that great.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior