Coleman camp oven?

coop74

Old Camping Dude
to revisit this thread a bit... Two of things that have been mentioned that i agree with.

putting an all coton towel on top helps keep the heat in. For better even baking using a stoneware pan helps too. I have even considered getting a thick bit of natural tile and cutting two of them to fit to make internal an heat sink in the oven. My number one issue with baking in the little Coleman oven is even consistent heat. I think that both suggested items in this post help.

And as another teaser...

uyX3XLt1qFxfbR4MCvWVwEijlRrfWKNFm1M5ELlgRZxexIX_uBu-9WWtRQ_TpCIhRFMADFE5r5PVg_HGb0fuAnIUjPOowU_j0CwwPrnJDh4kckq-37kcW_3oMxDGd2hnj3w6lIYiT5L-AX-AYUUPZ8Nu7aFR3CtWzgf4vbQl9PcOw5jkpTRr98WFwg1VT8EDXd9hk6oUFGyipwRSyFwZ0A84PBoLg73lIzGXjeGJtrdmbEm9r6K_vZi0gkL5IB3uyrNOxMzAuN4Jkt8b4NCRkybVe8zSIk7TEa_xKXgcEYVyuLBTMdZosLKXc0iFYyoIfC8eIrst-JBZVoZpA_OB5jMGLzWQQHKumUMxBZWXLKgib5yUU-e1a7mLGOQyCaL-tcU2CgjeDs27dDduyIyvDuF0uc5cUc5wTHDx_VH-ukcERwyKgNH5sb2zdmtAWhd9nnZbypZR40wtXnV8pjECKaPYB-XUk6515Oq_iAQSWg3Vr8K_qNBZcsoUu_hLzqdci5lg0TSHJf9Z1Ajazi3AZ_txxz7yRKbKNMWOUtcTTL7KneBUp-6eM9h0XLIlypFBcGKe=w510-h906-no

Last edited:

Scoutn79

Adventurer
The answer is "maybe" The over is about 13" square and would have to sit over your grill. Are there enough BTU's in the grill to heat the oven to operating temp? The biggest issue is the oven doesn't have any insulation and, even in my pop up camper, can barely get it to hold 300 deg. Keeping it up to temp outside with a breeze and maybe a cool day is going to require some serious heat.
Currently I use heavy tin-foil to help insulate the oven, it works some.
My plan is to sew up a hood for the oven using fireproof fabric to help keep the heat in better.

Darrell

coop74

Old Camping Dude
The answer is "maybe" The over is about 13" square and would have to sit over your grill. Are there enough BTU's in the grill to heat the oven to operating temp? The biggest issue is the oven doesn't have any insulation and, even in my pop up camper, can barely get it to hold 300 deg. Keeping it up to temp outside with a breeze and maybe a cool day is going to require some serious heat.
Currently I use heavy tin-foil to help insulate the oven, it works some.
My plan is to sew up a hood for the oven using fireproof fabric to help keep the heat in better.

Darrell
You stove must not put out good heat, I bake at 375 and 400 all the time. Perhaps also your temp Guage is not reading correctly

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

coop74

Old Camping Dude
You stove must not put out good heat, I bake at 375 and 400 all the time. Perhaps also your temp Guage is not reading correctly

Does anyone know of a source for small quantity of reflective material that will withstand 450 degrees that a sides, back, and top cover could be made of?

Someone in that kind of business?

Scoutn79

Adventurer

Maybe the stove doesn't put out enough then. It is the factory burner running proper water column of pressure (tested). I know the thermometer is correct because I use the one from my home oven (and it has been compared to others) as the stock one in the door is WAY off.

What are you using as your heat source?
Grills don't usually put out as much heat as a regular stove burner was the point I was trying to make.

Darrell

Scoutn79

Adventurer
Does anyone know of a source for small quantity of reflective material that will withstand 450 degrees that a sides, back, and top cover could be made of?

Someone in that kind of business?

Look up fireproof cloth/fabric on Google.

I would never use cotton towels over an open flame...too flammable. If it catches fire hopefully it doesn't get tossed onto something else flammable...not worth the risk IMO.
The tile idea sounds ok but there isn't much room in the stove to begin with and tile is fragile. You could lean it against the sides and place one on the top to help hold heat in tho and that would be good...I would just end up with broken pieces I am sure.

Darrell

Gooseberry

Explorer
I use the Colman single burner with the bbq grill and the oven sits over the bbq burner great.
f480a4c6ff48c06b3143bad588c48338.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
I use the Colman single burner with the bbq grill and the oven sits over the bbq burner great.
f480a4c6ff48c06b3143bad588c48338.jpg

That fits nice, in my experience I am surprised it can get up to temp...maybe I have some strange stuff.....

Darrell

Gooseberry

Explorer
Found a better photo. The bbq burner is the width of the oven and puts out a bunch of heat. I also only use a sheet of foil to bake on.
I have done everything from chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and crescent rolls wrapped hotdogs
d6476c1a5affb1a3e2cf928d52f7936b.jpg

Last edited:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Maybe the stove doesn't put out enough then. It is the factory burner running proper water column of pressure (tested). I know the thermometer is correct because I use the one from my home oven (and it has been compared to others) as the stock one in the door is WAY off.

What are you using as your heat source?
Grills don't usually put out as much heat as a regular stove burner was the point I was trying to make.

Darrell
I use a Coleman two burner kind of the middle of the quality range. Not sure of the BTU output but I think it is 10k but I have had the stove many years.

As for the towel, I fold it in a square and place it on the top. Just that does make a difference. I am a pretty active cook so I flip the towel over probably every 5 to 7 minutes. I have not had an issue with all cotton towel so far. I did put minor scorch/discoloration marks on a blended towel.

I would agree a bit of tile would take some room, maybe 1/2 thick max but my ideal was one on bottom rack and one on the top and use parchment paper directly on it as baking surface...

Again, it would be nice to find a company who make a insulated cover.
I am not that crafty or patient.

hyperboarder

Adventurer
Found a better photo. The bbq burner is the width of the oven and puts out a bunch of heat. I also only use a sheet of foil to bake on.
I have done everything from chocolate chip cookies, cinnamon rolls, biscuits and crescent rolls wrapped hotdogs

Bingo, this is the one I have. Buying this one tonight, thanks for the info guys!

Kevin108

Explorer
Walmart usually has them for about $35. I have one, but have only tried it once and burnt the hell out of some cinnamon rolls while the wife was napping in the RTT. :chowtime:

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Walmart usually has them for about $35. I have one, but have only tried it once and burnt the hell out of some cinnamon rolls while the wife was napping in the RTT. :chowtime:
That is just Cajun style, you know blackened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles