Coleman camp oven?

crossed-up

Observer
For some reason Coleman don't/won't sell the oven here in the UK. When I enquired, Coleman in the US referred me to the UK distributor, who in turn referred me back to Coleman. So in the end I had to order one from the US. I've had it since Christmas but not given it a proper trial on my twin burner.

I gave it a 'shakedown' run a couple of weeks ago and made some bread. The oven isn't a great fit on the twin burner as it doesn't sit centrally over the base of the oven, but it still seem to work well enough with the baffle in the base of the oven distributing the heat. It all went well apart from me getting distracted doing something else and forgot to keep an eye on things, resulting in a burnt bottom!

Chuck box drawer removed from the Jeep so I could keep an eye on proceedings.

I0000wVotE.JiJxc.jpg

I0000xIX1jth_A78.jpg

Base slightly scorched by the rest was tasty enough!

I000055hhAntYOU0.jpg

I0000uc6RsJ.vGoc.jpg

I'm looking forward to having another go on a proper camping trip in a couple of weeks time.

87Warrior

GP'er
crossed-up, you need to fold the wind deflector back into the lid of the stove for the oven to sit squarely over the burner. Yes, the corners of the oven will hang over the edge of the stove. You will also regain access to the other burner ;)

crossed-up

Observer
Thanks for the pointer Warrior, I did try it with the wind deflector folded, but was concerned about the overhanging oven scorching the wooden drawer sides. I will look into it more closely at the weekend when I have another go.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
that looked good. For the bottom i have found the best thing is to cook on parchement paper. Not sure if you have that in the UK but it is cheap here. If you are a real space saver cut out 5 or 6 for the trip and leave the rest of the roll at home.

My two cents...

crossed-up

Observer
I really like that wooden case. Is it home made?

Thanks WillBeck, yes it's home made and part of my storage/kitchen setup in my WK. There's a build thread here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152652-WH-(WK)-Preparation-for-the-Pyrenees

coop74 said:
that looked good. For the bottom i have found the best thing is to cook on parchement paper. Not sure if you have that in the UK but it is cheap here. If you are a real space saver cut out 5 or 6 for the trip and leave the rest of the roll at home.

Hi coop, yes we have baking parchment AKA greaseproof paper here, and I did line the base of the tim with it. But it all got burnt and stuck to the bread. It was pretty poor quality though and I've got some better re-usable silicone based parchment that I think might be a better bet. I'll post up the results one I get chance to give it a try.

coop74

Old Camping Dude
Thanks WillBeck, yes it's home made and part of my storage/kitchen setup in my WK. There's a build thread here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/152652-WH-(WK)-Preparation-for-the-Pyrenees

Hi coop, yes we have baking parchment AKA greaseproof paper here, and I did line the base of the tim with it. But it all got burnt and stuck to the bread. It was pretty poor quality though and I've got some better re-usable silicone based parchment that I think might be a better bet. I'll post up the results one I get chance to give it a try.
Where did you have your baking pan? I have found it does a better job up higher in the oven.

Let me know about the silicone mat, I have considered one to as they are reusable

Coop on the road

ranewman

Observer
The pan can be found online or at a commercial baking shop. I have two from my mothers bakery (late '70s) and they work great!

ArkansasDon

Observer
some folks call them junk, me I like it what we done to make ours more efficient is we use a digital temperature gauge instead of the original, we also use high temp felt welding blanket we cut to fit the back, both side & the top with slot so the handle still can be accessible that is still in one piece. we just drape it over with the door still exposed.

Last edited:

jacobconroy

Hillbilly of Leisure
I have one that a buddy at work gave me and used it on my 22 inch partner steel stove last weekend during a 4-wheeling trip to reheat a toasted sub. Worked great. No plans to bake at camp, but it's cool to have a small piece of kit to reheat leftovers on the trail. Overall, I like it.

LandCruiserPhil

Expedition Leader
I recently received a Coleman Oven NIB, never opened with the original $7.53 price tag on it. Wasnt sure what to do with it but this thread shows there are some excellent results available. Should I open it or leave as is for a collector and purchase a used unit?

tacomabill

Just got one and baked some blueberry muffins which came out perfect. Comes with only one rack and Coleman does not sell the racks.

Anyone know where to buy a rack that will work? They are 10" X 11.5"

kathleenmelissa

The Coleman camping oven is designed to sit on a two- or three-burner camping stove. The propane or gasoline camping stove will work. The instructions do not reference using it over a wood fire. I would not recommend using it over a wood fire.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne