'11 Suzuki SX4 AWD

Thirty-Nine

Explorer
I try and make my rounds :)

This car will probably be my DD for many many many years. I'm in it for the long-haul. Regret selling your SX4?

My neighbour has an STi with a 3" turbo back exhaust, so I get my "brub brub brub" fix every day.

I don't regret it. I really don't regret selling any vehicle I've owned, frankly. Well, except my '79 Civic 1200. That was a fun little ride! That being said, it was a great small AWD vehicle and you could get it with a manual transmission. There isn't another vehicle out there that small with AWD and a stick shift. I miss the size. Our WRX isn't exactly a behemoth, but the SX4 was still a subcompact, which I liked a lot.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what the new baby Jeep is going to be like.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/01/23/jeep-jeepster-prototype-spy-shots/

Andy

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer

plumber mike

Adventurer
Sorry to but in on your build thread, but you are the only one I can find who has bought and is using this vehicle the way I intend to. Still going well I hope? I had been looking for a subaru for my wife, but we couldn't agree to the point we decided to just keep her car. I am still looking for something to offset my other gas guzzlers. I found locally a 2012 sx4 manual with 30k miles. They are asking 12k at a dealer, which is still a real bargain when compared to a subaru. I think I'm going to pull the trigger and offer them 10-11k and see what comes of it.

Thanks for the inspiration.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Good thinking on the skids. Even lifted and with my tires my skids get used on a regular basis. Even +10" of clearance runs out quick.

rkj__

Adventurer
I always enjoy seeing people go off road with vehicles that most people don't take off road. It looks like you have had some fun in your little Suzuki.

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I always enjoy seeing people go off road with vehicles that most people don't take off road. It looks like you have had some fun in your little Suzuki.
More to come! Last year was kind of a test season. Just seeing how far I could push it and what it could actually handle. I plan to actually use it for some exploring this year and planning a cross-Canada expedition for '15 which I'm hoping to use as little tarmac as possible.

I still can't fathom how I haven't broken ANYthing from all the thrashing and abuse I've put it through. It has almost 70,000km with the lift on it and 28" tires and it hasn't prematurely worn out any suspension of drivetrain components. It really is the last of the overbuilt small cars.

I'm only 25 and hate to sound like an old fart but there really are no small cars on the road anymore that can take real abuse. I'm hoping the new jeep renegade will take up some of that slack. I'm hoping that a lot of the fiat panda 4x4 comes through and not any of the Chrysler.

People can argue that there's the jeep patriot of compass or the Subaru impreza... but put larger tires and small lifts on all of those vehicles and they all have weak points in their suspension or drivelines that start to show up. And none of those cars can get over 30mpg stock let alone lifted with larger tires.

I'd hate to rant here but I'm just tired of all these cars coming out that are designed to last the length of their warranty periods and then are ready for the junkyard. We live in such a "throw away" society.

Hodaka

Adventurer
Just wish Suzuki didn't take the ol dirt nap in North America. The SX4 looks like a great platform.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
People can argue that there's the jeep patriot of compass or the Subaru impreza... but put larger tires and small lifts on all of those vehicles and they all have weak points in their suspension or drivelines that start to show up. And none of those cars can get over 30mpg stock let alone lifted with larger tires.

I'd hate to rant here but I'm just tired of all these cars coming out that are designed to last the length of their warranty periods and then are ready for the junkyard. We live in such a "throw away" society.

Curious as to what you see as the weak-points of the Impreza? I've been running a (very) mildly lifted WRX Wagon for several years now. So far, the only real problems I have stem from 13+ year old rubber - namely vacuum and water lines starting to perish.

Can't disagree with you on mileage, though. My WRX gets pretty poor mileage, but that might have something to do with my all-streets-no-freeway commute and the fact that I'm on the boost so much. ;)

And yes, I've become a big advocate of fix-not-replace, in general. I'm at the breakover point with my Subie, though. The number of "little" items that are wearing out after 13+ years is really starting to add up. I may replace it soon. Probably not with a new car, though. Just something a bit younger...

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
I was referring more to the baby jeeps as far as weaknesses, but the impreza runs into driveline angle problems with too much lift. And the fact that it only has a little over 5" of ground clearance in stock form, it's not a great base for building a capable off roader. They apparently also love to go out of alignment and have pitiful approach and departure angles.

These are of course things I've found while researching and have zero personal experience. I do like the fact that you can mix and match parts between Subaru models though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles