New Gen 3 Owner - Maintenance Questions

RodB

Last week I bought a 2001 Montero Limited. It has the rear air/auto temp option, 117k miles, runs well, looks good and seems to be in good shape for a 13 year old SUV. The only maintenance records I have is what is listed on the Mitsubishi Cars website, but that isn't very helpful. As an example it shows a "Tune-up" at 93k, but the dealer is out of business so I have no idea what that included. So I am getting the timing belt done and want to be sure I get everything done while it is apart. I have a timing belt kit with water pump, idler, tensioner & hydraulic actuator, front cam seals & crank seal, valve cover gaskets w/spark plug seals, spark plugs, spark plug wires, intake gasket set (read intake comes off for plugs), thermostat w/seal & outlet gasket, serpentine belt and upper & lower radiator hoses. Like I said, I don't want to miss anything while it is apart. Is there anything else I need? Thanks in advance :)

Attachments

• 0117141637.jpg
    0117141637.jpg
    602.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 0117141636.jpg
    0117141636.jpg
    592.7 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
That's a beauty...and with nice, low miles too!

Transmission service (genuine Mitsu fluid), fluid change in diffs and transfer case. Lube the vacuum actuator rod (front axle) for the 4WD system as it's often stuck/sticky. Inspect the CV joints.

And take my word for it: reach up and pull down the headliner just in front of the sunroof (it's held up with some Velcro there). Replace the missing screws holding the sunroof motor in place. If none are missing, put Loctite on all of them because they WILL fall out. This is a 10-minute job.

Welcome aboard!

dookie

Observer
'01 XLS w/210k here.

I think you have the electronic 5s transmission? In any case, I have the mechanical 4s w/LSD and with good service it has been rock solid. Your list is very thorough, and with no service history I think you're right to investigate them all.

I believe the factory ATF OCI is 60k and timing belt/tensioner/plugs/wires @ 90k? I've done them all twice now, all together @ 100k intervals, seals/gaskets/waterpump @ 200k only. FWIW, I have been using Amsoil ATF since ~15k...first fill went over 80k, second over 95k, no torque converter shudder and both came out looking/smelling new. You'll hear 'must use OEM fluid' a lot. The Amsoil is DS3 'meets or exceeds', but not officially certified. 10k motor oil OCI and still near zero consumption (after gaskets/seals, which were leaking like crazy!). Old Man Emu lift has ~150k and still feels great. Rear CVs went ~180k even w/lift, 32s & some beach work...fronts are still going! 3 of 4 wheel bearings replaced, and it is a ********** of a job.

Will check the sunroof! No issues here @ 210k though. Must have been a good day at the factory when mine was built!

Last edited:

Inyo_man

Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining.
Congratulations on your purchase.
I hope you get many years of adventure with your new rig.
It sounds like you have a very complete list of parts for the maintenance you're looking to accomplish.
You may want to inspect the tensioner for the serpentine belt.

Good Luck

RodB

Thanks Guys!

Thanks for the replies!

Sabre - I'll get the sunroof done this weekend. Are there any instruction posts on lubing the vacuum actuator rod?

Dookie - Yes, it has the 5 speed Tiptronic transmission. The service record on the Mitsubishi Cars website was helpful on this. The transmission was serviced at a Mitsubishi dealer about 28k miles ago so I have a little time on that. I'll get the differentials and transfer case next.

Inyo - Thanks. I'll be sure to have the serp tensioner checked.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
Sabre - I'll get the sunroof done this weekend. Are there any instruction posts on lubing the vacuum actuator rod?
See the black rubber corrugated bellows thingy? At the far end of that is the gold-colored vacuum actuator with the two hoses attached. At the near end of the bellows you can see a rubber tab that is used to help you slide the thing on and off the sealing groove. Just pop that off and push it back, exposing the actuator rod. Grease it up and you're good to go.

If the previous owner didn't exercise the 4WD system regularly, this thing can be all gummed up.

RodB

See the black rubber corrugated bellows thingy? At the far end of that is the gold-colored vacuum actuator with the two hoses attached. At the near end of the bellows you can see a rubber tab that is used to help you slide the thing on and off the sealing groove. Just pop that off and push it back, exposing the actuator rod. Grease it up and you're good to go.

If the previous owner didn't exercise the 4WD system regularly, this thing can be all gummed up.

Thanks Sabre!

MontyMcV

Observer
Are you going to wheel it at all? Even if not (the wife drives our '03), I would consider the rear axle flanges. No one in the US besides me has reported trouble besides me, afaik, but the issue is there. Plenty down under have experienced it. It's ~$200 in parts and less than an hour's work. Search for the thread I put up last June-ish.

Also, depending on how many miles you do, you may not be into the top of the engine for a while to come. If low mile driver, I'd consider the VC gaskets and tube top gormmets while the rest is off for the spark plugs. Only another $40 in Fel-Pro parts.

Good call on the Limited, as the 01-02 XLS is not Active-Trac.

randers1966

When I hit 70 on the highway in 2wd I felt a vibration and the check engine light came on. It work fine at slower speeds or if I gradually reach 70

Marutuk

KK6WFB
Welcome Hondarod, hope you'll have a lot of fun with your montero.

And take my word for it: reach up and pull down the headliner just in front of the sunroof (it's held up with some Velcro there). Replace the missing screws holding the sunroof motor in place. If none are missing, put Loctite on all of them because they WILL fall out. This is a 10-minute job.

You're absolutely right about that sunroof motor. I still have to fix mine. :p

Schitzangiggles

King of Macastan

What is the bolt with the 2 wires coming out if it called? My wires are ripped off and I suspect that is why my traction control is acting wonky, I'd like to either fix it or order up a new one to get it working.

I just got my wife an '01 limited and have been combing the threads for what to fix. Is there a preferred vendor to get parts from?
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94