Tent using awning and sidewalls.

bluehash

Adventurer
I was looking over this thread, and came across Mike R's pic.

Looking at CVTs site, they do have floors for such a setup. Has anybody used this setup, instead of carrying an RTT. Less weight and load on top/less wind resistance. Probably a few more setup minutes when compared to an RTT. With a floor you can place a cot and have standing area. You do loose awning space though.

998709_535547123159359_8911962_n.jpg

mike r

Adventurer
Hey thats me :)
I use mine when I have a more permanent camp, I think on a trailer it would work well but having to put away for a drive up the trail is is too much work.

Kcdude

Adventurer
Does the enclosure have a roof? Looks like a large gap between the awning for dust, rain, critters. Maybe good for temporary sleeping but not a tent substitute.

mike r

Adventurer
yes it is fully enclosed with roof, it zips on at front and back and hangs on to the side support bars with clips. it is heavy and takes up a hole pelican case by its self
if i was to do it again i would choose something like this
st3.JPG

picture taken from camping concepts site

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
yes it is fully enclosed with roof, it zips on at front and back and hangs on to the side support bars with clips. it is heavy and takes up a hole pelican case by its self
if i was to do it again i would choose something like this
st3.JPG

picture taken from camping concepts site

CVT now offers the Butte Tent. Same concept as this pic... Looks awesome!

Kcdude

Adventurer
http://www.cascadiatents.com/index.php?m=84&s=550&c=&id=146.
$385 shipped, cheaper than a 79" enclosure. That would be $270 if he does another 30%off GB. Only bummer is the 6'+ pack size...similar to the oztent frame.

I was considering one of these added to my Fiamma awing sail track since it is not compatible with side walls. It also can be set up standalone. Curious to see a review.

Last edited:

Colonal Angus

Adventurer
I like that Butte tent a lot. I'm so happy with my Kodiak Canvas though...I can't justify another ground tent. If I didn't have the Kodiak...I'd be looking hard at the butte.

60Dan

Explorer
I'm planning on a butte when CVT does the next group buy. Which I hope is soon.
Looks like it will be a great place to escape the rain.
I have the camping lab awning and since going out of business I cannot get hold of the side walls

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz