wanting to start my offroad adventure on 2 wheels

frankdatank1989

well, i have decided that i want an adventure bike. i have rode streetbikes for 6 years now, used to stunt a cbr, and have done very long distance riding. last year i rode my cbr600rr from oklahoma city to seattle washington. very sore after that one.

now that i live in this part of the state, i am wanting to get a dual sport so i can go camping, hunting, or whatever offroad, and still have the capability of road use. i have rode 1000cc bikes, and 600cc bikes. v-twins and inline 4s. but i have never rode a dual sport bike. i have $2k to spend, and found a 96 KLR650 in my area for only $1900. seems to be in good condition. has 17k miles on it.

so i guess my question is, what bikes would you recommend in my situation. oh, and my girlfriend loves to ride along with me as well. any help would be great. thanks guys.

eatthepeach

Observer
It sounds like you already know the answer to your question- the KLR650 is a really great bike and fits your stated criteria perfectly. It will feel a bit anemic coming from your CBR, but I doubt your gf will mind. Include some quality protective gear in your budget and have fun.

eatthepeach

Observer
Most street protective gear is fine for dp, but the more time you're spending off-road and at lower speeds the more you'll want gear that's breathable and the less you'll worry about abrasion resistance. I prefer a lightweight MX boot for dual sport but I wear my street gloves and lid. It's a mixed bag since you're likely on asphalt for part of every ride. Take a look at Aerostich's Darien. It's a bit dated but still a quality product and can be custom tailored. Recently I've switched to Rev'it- their stuff has a more modern design if not quite the made-in-the-USA build quality. I'm very happy with them, too.

Last edited:

frankdatank1989

I've decided I want a klr. I'm just hoping he doesn't sell it before I can snatch it up. I've joined the klr forums, and will check out advrider. And I'll check out klim as well. Went to WalMart today and stood in the camping area for like 20 minutes looking at all the stuff, imagining how to fit it on the bike lol. They even had some 2gal gas jugs I was looking at and trying to figure out how to put on the bike. Very excited to get started. Just hope I can meet some people around me that wanna go out and adventure.

eatthepeach

Observer
Words of wisdom.

Also, don't sweat it if you don't get the bike you have your eye on now. KLR are very popular so it's unlikely you'll have to wait long before another one becomes available.

frankdatank1989

Yeah I hear ya. there are multiple klr's for sale, just not as close as I would like. It would be a trip just getting one especially since I have to ride it back from wherever I get it. I don't have a truck or anything to haul a trailer with. So riding it home is my only option. Gives me time to get used to it though lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior