Iveco Daily 4x4

discotdi

Adventurer
the Daily 4x4 looks like it would be a great platform for overland travels as well as a good work truck platform. too bad the USA govt won't allow it into the country. I would buy one for sure.

iveco4x4

There is a yahoo group for the discussion of all things daily 4x4.

don't think any of our members have a new series one though, its split between the older civi 40-10w and the wm's, the group requires authorisation to join asthe old group was spammed out of existance

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ivecodaily4x4/

The massif has very little to do with the defender apart from similar lines (which in reality it shares with all lwb landrovers since the 50's)

its actually closer to a series vehicle with leaf springs (parabolic) and an iveco engine,its made by santanain spain and badged for iveco. the dash looks like a suzuki dash as they used to build them under license
rich

mike_monster03

Greetz from Germany!

If you interested in further Iveco discussion you might check out the german 4x4 group --> *click*

btw great forum - interesting to read what you guys discuss on the other side of the ocean. Similar problems anyway (choice of chassis, GVW class and so) on..

Mike :roost:

iveco4x4

interesting chinese trucks - that looks like the old series daily cab (released 1991 i think) but with coil rear suspension and big tyres, oh and lots of airtanks

w squared

Observer
Here's what you need. It's a Canadian LSVW lightweight truck. Iveco made them and Western Star IIRC imported them for the Canadian military. It's not a Daily, as such, but that's what I thought it was when I first saw one on maneuvers here in Floriduh.

14.jpg

I had just joined the Canadian Forces when the LSVW entered the inventory. The first time I saw one, I thought it looked amazing...very cool. Boy, was I wrong.

They have gained fame as the most vilified vehicle in the CF inventory. Even more hated than the Bombardier version of the VW Iltis. The only thing worse than their performance is their reliability.

When the competition happened for the vehicle to replace the 5/4 ton trucks that were previously used in this role, the LSVW was the "pork barrel" contender. The Western Star factory was in Kelowna, BC...a riding held by the ruling governement, and the associate minister for Defense (overseeing the project) was also from a riding in BC.

The Iveco/Western Star did poorly in an initial comparison in Petawawa...so the requirements for the competition were re-written to allow the LSVW to win, and a second round of testing was scheduled in Nevada. But when the actual second set of trials happened, the Western Star vehicle failed again.

Here's a quick quote describing the opinion of those who have ended up driving it:

The LSVW is unpopular. It has been criticized for poor handling, top-heaviness, unreliable brakes and transmission, and awkward engine access amongst other things. However, much of the difficulty resulted from the original specifications.

The Department emphasized fuel efficiency and low purchase price when they
were looking for a new light support truck. That is what it got – a vehicle with top speeds of 25 km/h off-road and only 90km/h on pavement.
Neither the small engine (only 115 hp despite turbo-charging) nor the weak
automatic transmission is adequate for tough military operational support duties. The transmission occasionally pops out of gear under stress. Fading breaks and rust have shown up far too early in the lives of these vehicles.
In the end the Canadian Forces got what they paid for

One other item that isn't mentioned above...any time the brakes are applied, you can expect to hear a god-awful squealing.

So the federal government directed the CF to buy it anyways. Pork Barrel procurement at it's finest.

dinoevo

Adventurer
The Iveco Daily is a great platform to build on and one of the only modern chassis in its category in Europe. The problem currently is that you can not buy a new one as it sold out at the dealership. Everyone is waiting for the release of the new version. Soon the waiting will be over as first real photos of a test vehicle appeared on the website of a German Overland Magazine: http://explorer-magazin.com/2015/01/erste-bilder-iveco-daily-4x4-2015/

dinoevo

Adventurer
Great to see this trucks down under too. Will be interesting when the new model is available there as well. As I recall you guys just received the "old" version.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles