Tent Air Conditioner

bender19

HI all, I currently have a 19ft camper trailer that i pull with a 03 Tacoma double cab. I only live a couple hours from the mountains in Alberta. I want to build a adventure trailer as my camper trailer is a bit much for my truck when i start getting into the big hills. I have tented lots before and it's no problem for me. I want to add some sort of AC unit because when it gets really warm my daughter has a hard time sleeping and is very uncomfortable. I've searched and have not been able to find anything. Does anyone have or know of a unit that will work for a tent application? I have the ability to use any type of power source.

lcsodiver

Adventurer
I built a portable swamp cooler out of a plastic portable hanging file folder box. It had a small 12 volt water pump and two 12 volt computer fans in it. It works great in dry desert enviroments, but if the humidity is up then they don't work very well. I can get 15 to 20 degrees of cooling over the ambiant temps if the humidity is low. I'll try to get a couple of photos up here when I get home from work.

Lynn

Expedition Leader
Here is an idea:

http://www.climaterightair.com/

Also, I've seen tents use a regular window AC piped into the tent. Slickest was a 4-season tent that had a second entrance that was a tunnel. They just cinched the end of the tunnel entrance around a window AC.

With a little creativity you could probably build a box around a window unit, with ducts to carry the air to the tent. Probably need a duct fan or two to help move the air.

Last edited:

lcsodiver

Adventurer
Ok it's been a busy weekend.... here are those pictures! I still have to finish the power input, as they are just bare wires right now.
DSC03229.jpgDSC03230.jpgDSC03231.jpgDSC03232.jpgDSC03233.jpg

Lynn

Expedition Leader
I like that DIY tent air conditioner. I'm going to make one.

Just to pick nits, that 'air conditioner' is a swamp cooler, which is only effective in arid environments. It will probably work fine as long as you stay in Colorado (I'm from Cortez, and spent about 8 years in the Springs), but won't be any use at all down here in humid Texas.

quickfarms

Adventurer
How about using a two hose portable air conditioner that way all you have to do is run the hoses out side and plug it in

Kingsize24

So... Our 4 person family uses a large 10 person Coleman Weathermaster, and a 10,000btu Honeywell MN10CESBB portable unit. Along with the disco cots for the kids, it is the best investment ever for hot Texas tent camping. Otherwise, anytime between now and November would be almost unbearable. We just pack it back up in its box after each use. Been over a year and a half now without issue. I pulled it out to show a pic of it.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 20170505_191937.jpg
    20170505_191937.jpg
    569.3 KB · Views: 165

Kerensky97

Xterra101
I've always wanted to build one of those cheap solar powered 5gallon bucket swamp coolers for camping. I'm in the dry desert so evaporation cooling is super efficient.

Although most people design them poor. This guy shows how to do it right by having the evaporative element stand-off from the wall of the bucket so air can get all the way around.
https://youtu.be/pcLaA818FJQ

MOguy

Explorer
I use a regular smaller window unit set in a milk crate pointed into the door. Camping SUCKS if the people you are with aren't happy. Why not be comfortable?

As far as the style that blows air over ice water THEY SUCK unless you have an endless supply of ice water. While I was stationed at Fort Irwin (Mohave Desert) our unit bought some nice expensive ones. They are great for a little while but unless you can refill them with Ice water they start to blow warm and then hot humid air on you.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles