Filling that useless space in your rig.

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
As if I didn't have enough on my plate with my build. Today I got it in my head that I need more storage space. Hmmm....How about this void between my tire and bumper?
12228147505_ee6e10708d_c.jpg
[/url] [/IMG]
100_3070 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]
12228330463_5cab1e06a9_c.jpg
[/url] 100_3071 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]

I have enough space there to easily fit an 18" L X 6" W X 15" D wedgel. Hell, I've got some left over aluminum around..... and I do need TIG practice..... Lets do it!
12228735136_c82f666e01_c.jpg
[/url] 100_3073 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]
12228152675_9e08db7a83_c.jpg
[/url] 100_3074 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]

100_3076 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr
I just tacked this together. Its plenty strong as it is. No need to finish weld it. (yes I know the aluminum is filthy and would have welded much better if it were clean)

Cut the hole in the wheel housing
12228547984_61897d4a0c_c.jpg
[/url] 100_3077 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]
Drop in box
12228153225_c75591d1ef_c.jpg
[/url] 100_3078 by Fazekas Industries, on Flickr[/IMG]

Thats all I finished today. When I get back on it I will fasten it down properly, fill any gaps I made (that whole measure twice thing...oops) and build a door. Not totally finished but you get the idea. Now I have a great spot for recovery gear, and it only cost me about an hour so far.

Last edited:

1stDeuce

Explorer
Good idea!! I wanted to do a lidded version of this on my stretched TJ... Seems there's lots of wasted space right where you're adding some storage. Just haven't gotten around to it. But I might... Some day... ;)

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Very creative and cool...
I don't have your tig ability so instead I just removed the interior panels in the back of my suburban and I am stuffing random things in to fill the gaps.
Never enough storage space even as I try to lighten the load and carry less :)

wesfab1

Goin' Commando
trust me, I don't have TIG ability either. I've owned that machine for 2 years now and can't operate it to save my life. I am a MIG welder by trade, the TIG is just a toy for me.

anw7405

Observer
Yep. I just pulled my inside panels off my 2000 suburban the other day. I didn't even know there was a stereo sub back there. I pulled it and was able to put blocks, jack, socket set, tools, bungees, jumper cables, tow straps, siphon and random things back there. There was already a lid that opened for access so i just cut the bottom out of that plastic. Everything looks stock but there is a ton more storage now.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
Nice work. Wish I had a finger break to make stuff like that.

Lots of wasted space in many vehicles that could be taken advantage of. I thought some of the older Jeeps had a Storage bin in that location?

I built new side panels for my 86 4 Runner. A gallon of Coolant, 30ft snatch strap, 2 quarts of oil, tree saver and cargo tie downs all fit no problem in the Right rear Quarter. Left rear has the rear wiper wash bladder, Factory jack and tools in it already. I have a full set of hoses and belts stuck in there as well.
Selling the 4Runner and have a 80 Series that has a Subwoofer in the Right rear quarter that I dont even know if it works. I already miss the storage I had in that location. That sub may be going.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior