Bought my first Fraide/Freezer and had some questions

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
I finally made my first fridge purchase, and picked up an Edgestar 43q. Question is for the other members that have purchased an Edgestar fridge when transporting it in a vehicle does it make a rattling sound? Best way to me to describe it sounds like when I'm unloading the dishwasher at home and I'm stacking the plates in the cabinet. The sound of the plates hitting each other. It's not a constant sound. It's also not the fan moving around. I can hear the sound when it's unplugged and I shake it. I had it strapped down with tie downs in the car, and it's pretty loud, I can hear it over the radio turned up. I contacted Edgestar about it and they gave me the go ahead to open it up to see if something was loose. I couldn't find anything. So I contacted them back for an exchange. Is this how all of the Edgestar fridges sound? Debating to purchase another one. I liked the price and it worked for what I needed it for or should I fork out the extra cash and get a Ironman 63q or an ARB 63q.

4x4junkie

Explorer
Mine has always had a clunking rattle 100% exactly the same as in the video posted in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76574-ARB-Fridge-quot-Clunk-quot

If that's about the sound yours makes I probably wouldn't worry about it (well, I guess unless the noise bothers you lol)

Apparently the compressors these fridges use has their insides on an internal spring suspension, and is what you hear moving around in it. Some do seem to be more clunkier than others though.

zooroadbaja

Adventurer
Mine has always had a clunking rattle 100% exactly the same as in the video posted in this thread:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76574-ARB-Fridge-quot-Clunk-quot

If that's about the sound yours makes I probably wouldn't worry about it (well, I guess unless the noise bothers you lol)

Apparently the compressors these fridges use has their insides on an internal spring suspension, and is what you hear moving around in it. Some do seem to be more clunkier than others though.

Yeah that's it, its annoying, so it sounds like all fridges will do that? This one is really loud, driving on local road and freeways its a constant sound. Man might have to scratch the fridge idea and just keep the cooler

4x4junkie

Explorer
I notice mine more while off road than on road, though occasionally over expansion joints at bridges, etc. I can hear it rattle too. Sounds like you got one of the clunkier ones...

Did you hear back from Edgestar?

CaliMobber

Adventurer
the motor kinda floats, since its made for cars. its a normal sound. mine does it and its been working perfect for a few years now.

xplrn42

Adventurer
Reviving this old thread as I was searching for problems with rattles in these fridges:

I purchased a 50qt ARB fridge and it had a severe rattle in it, more of a vibrating rattle that occured on most any road, even paved.
Turns out it had a bad fan bearing. ARB replaced it and I just took the new one on a 42 mile trail run and it performed flawlessly. Very quiet and cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior