Best headlight replacements 1st gen Tacoma?

Clutch

<---Pass
Want to upgrade my headlights to a better performing pair, last time I bought some cheap Chinese replacements...this time around
I want something that "works"

Any recommendations?

4xdog

Explorer
I originally put a pair of eBay Chinese replacements on my 2001 Tacoma, but took them off 'cause I could not aim them to eliminate hot and cold spots. Went with OEM and was shocked at how much better they are -- flat, even illumination on low beam and no particular need for auxiliary lighting to augment them. The originals are truly better than the cheapo replacements.

I have a set of now out-of-production ACA DOT-compliant HID upgrades for the 2001-2004 Tacoma, NIB that I haven't decided that I need to install as of yet. That's a project(or) on the shelf for some future day...

Here are those ACA HIDs placed on the bumper to give an idea of how they look.
i-dQzmCBs-L.jpg

Last edited:

pray4surf

Explorer
Check out the last few pages of Zam15's build thread in the Tacoma section above. He's recently upgraded his lights.

verdesardog

Explorer
I just put cheap chinese headlights on my truck, they are much better than the sun damaged ones I took off. Probably as good as an OEM set. $130.000 for the pair:

DSC_0405.JPG

DSC_0408.JPG

DSC_0407.jpg

Clutch

<---Pass
I just put cheap chinese headlights on my truck, they are much better than the sun damaged ones I took off. Probably as good as an OEM set. $130.000 for the pair:

Those look pretty good compared to the stock Dodges!

I do not care for the light pattern on my cheap Chinese lights. (might be the brand I bought compared to yours) Have to use my auxiliary lights to fill the void, that is when there isn't any oncoming traffic.

Last edited:

robert

Expedition Leader
What year is your Tacoma? I replaced the factory lights on the '95 Tacoma I used to have with Hella Vision Plus but if you've got the later plastic lights that won't work.

I despise the newer plastic assemblies; my current 2005 is going to need new housings soon.

Clutch

<---Pass
What year is your Tacoma? I replaced the factory lights on the '95 Tacoma I used to have with Hella Vision Plus but if you've got the later plastic lights that won't work.

I despise the newer plastic assemblies; my current 2005 is going to need new housings soon.

Yeah, I don't like the plastic assemblies either, the AZ sun does a number on them.

It is a '99...have been considering putting on a '01-04 front clip on it. Actually going to venture over to the pick-n-pull this week to see what I can find.

Thanks for the link Hilldweller

robert

Expedition Leader
You could always swap your front to the older style too. It doesn't look as stylish but you gain the replaceable glass headlight assemblies that don't fog or scratch.

Clutch

<---Pass
You could always swap your front to the older style too. It doesn't look as stylish but you gain the replaceable glass headlight assemblies that don't fog or scratch.

I have thought of that too, I don't mind the looks of the older grill assembly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior