Foxwing vs Kelty vs Fiamma Awnings

Jb1rd

Explorer
Has anyone had experience with these, it's a wide range of product and price but this Foxwing has me interested with the ability to span around the back of the vehicle. The Kelty is a great price and seems pretty versatile. The Fiamma is a great product but the most expensive. Any real world advise/thoughts would be great, it's a significant investment.

http://www.rhinorack.com/AccSubCategory_Foxwing-Awning_56.aspx

Accrete

Explorer
Our rig has a 10 foot Fiama F45. It has now seen three seasons of hard use and we are quite at ease setting it up rain or shine. We use the legs on ground with a single stake in each leg that allows for vertical travel if the wind picks up. It is holding up fine.

I've researched the batwing and i sure like the looks, though some research turned up wind issues by owners...and since it is windy each afternoon on most of our expeditions i passed. Haven't done any research on the Kelty but it looks nice.

_TGL-AWD_11-2013.jpg

:) Thom

Last edited:

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I'm quite happy with the Foxwing I have on the XV-JP. It's easy to use and provides, as you know, an enormous amount of coverage.

ERJK10.JPG

There are three drawbacks, which may or may not affect you. The first is that the awning is impossible for one person to deploy in even a moderately stiff breeze. It you have a second person to wrangle it while you stake the heck out of it, it works OK, but single-handed efforts are doomed.

The second is that sometimes you can be camped in a spot where there's just not enough clear physical space to open it. You need room on three sides of your vehicle, not just one as with the normal awnings.

The third issue is that it can't be mounted at the right height on some vehicles. You need it close enough to the ground that you can reach it to deploy and store it, but on some trucks, that will be low enough that it fouls a door, roof rack, shovel mount, whatever. (And, perhaps obviously, it's not a good match for vehicles, like my Grand Cherokee, that have a top-hinged hatch.) The awning is brilliant on the XV-JP, but if it was mounted an inch higher, I couldn't work it and if it was an inch lower, it wouldn't allow opening the rear door.

If these three problems don't deter you, have at it. It's a heck of a thing for a fairly reasonable cost.

Waltzing Matilda

Adventurer
I was just researching the Kelty. I don't own one, but you can find user reviews on the REI website: http://www.rei.com/product/847658/k...|google|main&gclid=CNC6mJ2brLwCFVKRfgod6l4ASQ

One comment with photo: "I purchased a Carport (the original model) four years ago. It has been used very hard and held up great. A few weeks ago, I got caught unexpectedly in a storm with very high winds at night and sadly, it was damaged beyond repair. It was not due to poor design. I should have secured it better before turning in - my fault.

I live in the desert Southwest where the summer sun is intense. I use it mainly as an overhead canopy for shade to sit under and I drop it down for privacy to take showers and whatnot. It's very versatile, quick and easy to set up.

Heartbroken over the loss, I placed an order for a new Carport ESB today.
BOTTOM LINE Yes, I would recommend this to a friend

Images shared by Hank Hancock
Camping at Toroweap, AZ -North rim of Grand Canyon"

Tags: Using Product

Last edited:

Butch1979

Family Adventurer
Fiamma

We really like our Fiamma. The ease of deployment and sturdiness of the unit is top notch. Cost is the only drawback.

image.jpg

image.jpg

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
qwv8.jpg

I have the Kelty Carport and it really has been great. I can attach it to the side or to the rear of my Tacoma / ARE set-up or use it on the Bigfoot camper. It sets up easily and is pretty compact. It can stand alone, so if you go exploring and want to leave it at the camp for the day you can do that too. The only thing better would be if Kelty added an inner mosquito net for added flying bug protection.
-AK

mhiscox

Expedition Leader
I also suggest giving serious thought to the Kelty Carport. Not bugproof, but a lot of space that's pretty private. Takes a while to setup, and it has the mother of all "you-poke-your-eye-out" poles, but it's worth it.

attachment.php

One advantage over a conventional awning is that it can be both a largely enclosed shelter, as shown above, or raised up to allow open areas, like this:

attachment.php

There are some more pictures in Post 46 of this thread: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/77938

WAND3R3R

Adventurer
Waltzing Matilda, My Tacoma / ARE Cap is about 6'5" tall where I connect the Kelty. You can attach it above 7' as you mentioned that is the height of your camper door, but the Kelty will then just slant down and away from your camper. That is to say, your awning legs are shorter than 7', follow me? The Kelty will work in many different configurations, get some velcro straps and test things out.
-AK

Goochm

Observer
You might want to check both Bus Depot and Big Agnes...at one time the both had semi-dome canopies at a reasonable price, took only two poles and rope to set up.

Jb1rd

Explorer
Great info everyone, making it tough actually because there seems to be good points for all. Might start with the Kelty just for the price point and the versatility and then bump up to the Fiamma after we have seen how much we utilize the space. Again thank you, this group/forum is a stellar bunch!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz