Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Not very many Grand Cherokee WK's??

Default Not very many Grand Cherokee WK's??

I've been creeping the forum for awhile and I love everything on here! I am curious though, because I own an 06 WK, but it seems like there aren't very many Grand Cherokees being used for Expo trips or anything similar. I've seen a couple WJ's, a lot of Cherokees, and then even more Wranglers. Is there a reason behind this?

I am about to finish paying off mine and I am looking into starting some mods, and between here and several other forums like the JeepForum, there's a lot to get you excited. But I wanted to know if there was any reasoning behind this. Thanks guys!

Read this.....

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...d-Cherokee-CRD

It will give you some great ideas and is one of my favorite grand builds.
    I am a thousand miles from nowhere, Time don't matter to me, I am thousand miles from nowhere and there's nowhere I want to be
    -The Great Cowboy Philosopher Dwight Yoakam-

There's no reason to get rid of your WK or anything.

For expedition vehicles people usually look for simplicity, reliability, and abundance of replacement parts, which is why you see so many older vehicles on here.

Your WK could be great for expeditions. It's comfortable, roomy, and has decent ground clearance. It's just not people's usual first choice because it has a lot of electronics and Mercedes influence ($$$).

Superlift made a great suspension system for the Grand. Its an excellet platform, but in my opinion ill never have a unit body vehicle ever again.

Oh, trust me. I'm not getting rid of my jeep for any reason. I love that thing.

jpat, I have actually already read through that thread, and it is a good one! It is actually one of the first expo builds I have read for the WK and what sparked my interest. But, the deeper I dug, the more I wasn't finding. Which then, peaked my curiosity.

I like the idea of having a vehicle that is capable of more things than just climbing over rocks (which is still cool, don't get me wrong!), which seems to be what most people want to do with their jeeps. I will take mine camping and fly fishing though!

Default Not very many Grand Cherokee WK's??

I traded my well built 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon for a 2010 WK S-Limited. Needed more long distance comfort and towing capacity. Just recently started building it up for Expo/mild off road/daily driver use. Pic is as it stood before the holiday road trip. Just had a bumper made. Next is getting it powder coated, adding a winch, and a few more lights. Still haven't decided how I'm going to carry all the gear and provisions or how to mount my ARB fridge.

My former WK…took me everywhere I wanted to go for 5 years. Even hit a single Black/Blue Diamond trail where I was the only rig not locked front or rear. Got out of a deeply muddy "Dry" Lake bed.

The IFS did have it's limitations, the lifts available weren't that great (with super-lifts coming in around $4000), had horrid flex, but it took me everywhere and always got me home. I bought it not knowing anything about lockers, after market availability, etc. Now I'm in a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited…but I still love my first Jeep.

I think it has to do with the lack of aftermarket/cost of current parts available. I always thought the WK diesel would make a great platform for a build.
    2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
    www.dirtroadtrip.com
    Scratching the itch for off-road adventure one weekend, one vacation at a time, taking our trucks well off the beaten path one day and driving them to work the next!

Quote Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
    There's no reason to get rid of your WK or anything.

For expedition vehicles people usually look for simplicity, reliability, and abundance of replacement parts, which is why you see so many older vehicles on here.

Your WK could be great for expeditions. It's comfortable, roomy, and has decent ground clearance. It's just not people's usual first choice because it has a lot of electronics and Mercedes influence ($$$).
    Like all modern vehicles it relies heavily on electronics....it does not like a weak or old battery. Mercedes influence only in a very reliable transmission and of course the OM642 diesel engine, which other than the swirl motor that MUST be bypassed has been pretty bullet proof. The Mercedes transmission and CRD was the same combination found in the Sprinter van.

The wearable parts are widely available and cheap....even for the CRD guys you can get a new turbo for $625.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD QT2
    GDE ECO Tune 241hp/440torque

Quote Originally Posted by sickchilly View Post
    I traded my well built 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon for a 2010 WK S-Limited. Needed more long distance comfort and towing capacity. Just recently started building it up for Expo/mild off road/daily driver use. Pic is as it stood before the holiday road trip. Just had a bumper made. Next is getting it powder coated, adding a winch, and a few more lights. Still haven't decided how I'm going to carry all the gear and provisions or how to mount my ARB fridge.

Great looking WK...liking the rubicon wheels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD QT2
    GDE ECO Tune 241hp/440torque

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast