Not very many Grand Cherokee WK's??

Nick_Will

I've been creeping the forum for awhile and I love everything on here! I am curious though, because I own an 06 WK, but it seems like there aren't very many Grand Cherokees being used for Expo trips or anything similar. I've seen a couple WJ's, a lot of Cherokees, and then even more Wranglers. Is there a reason behind this?

I am about to finish paying off mine and I am looking into starting some mods, and between here and several other forums like the JeepForum, there's a lot to get you excited. But I wanted to know if there was any reasoning behind this. Thanks guys!

Justincredible

Adventurer
There's no reason to get rid of your WK or anything.

For expedition vehicles people usually look for simplicity, reliability, and abundance of replacement parts, which is why you see so many older vehicles on here.

Your WK could be great for expeditions. It's comfortable, roomy, and has decent ground clearance. It's just not people's usual first choice because it has a lot of electronics and Mercedes influence ($$$).

sail78385

Observer
Superlift made a great suspension system for the Grand. Its an excellet platform, but in my opinion ill never have a unit body vehicle ever again.

Nick_Will

Oh, trust me. I'm not getting rid of my jeep for any reason. I love that thing.

jpat, I have actually already read through that thread, and it is a good one! It is actually one of the first expo builds I have read for the WK and what sparked my interest. But, the deeper I dug, the more I wasn't finding. Which then, peaked my curiosity.

I like the idea of having a vehicle that is capable of more things than just climbing over rocks (which is still cool, don't get me wrong!), which seems to be what most people want to do with their jeeps. I will take mine camping and fly fishing though!

sickchilly

Observer
I traded my well built 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon for a 2010 WK S-Limited. Needed more long distance comfort and towing capacity. Just recently started building it up for Expo/mild off road/daily driver use. Pic is as it stood before the holiday road trip. Just had a bumper made. Next is getting it powder coated, adding a winch, and a few more lights. Still haven't decided how I'm going to carry all the gear and provisions or how to mount my ARB fridge.

ryzavyze.jpg

sonofmdlbldr

Adventurer
My former WK…took me everywhere I wanted to go for 5 years. Even hit a single Black/Blue Diamond trail where I was the only rig not locked front or rear. Got out of a deeply muddy "Dry" Lake bed.

The IFS did have it's limitations, the lifts available weren't that great (with super-lifts coming in around $4000), had horrid flex, but it took me everywhere and always got me home. I bought it not knowing anything about lockers, after market availability, etc. Now I'm in a Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited…but I still love my first Jeep.

3807238900_0388e99ace.jpg

dscf2680.jpg

dscf2684.jpg

joe-up.jpg

RangeBrover

Explorer
I think it has to do with the lack of aftermarket/cost of current parts available. I always thought the WK diesel would make a great platform for a build.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
There's no reason to get rid of your WK or anything.

For expedition vehicles people usually look for simplicity, reliability, and abundance of replacement parts, which is why you see so many older vehicles on here.

Your WK could be great for expeditions. It's comfortable, roomy, and has decent ground clearance. It's just not people's usual first choice because it has a lot of electronics and Mercedes influence ($$$).

Like all modern vehicles it relies heavily on electronics....it does not like a weak or old battery. Mercedes influence only in a very reliable transmission and of course the OM642 diesel engine, which other than the swirl motor that MUST be bypassed has been pretty bullet proof. The Mercedes transmission and CRD was the same combination found in the Sprinter van.

The wearable parts are widely available and cheap....even for the CRD guys you can get a new turbo for $625.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I traded my well built 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon for a 2010 WK S-Limited. Needed more long distance comfort and towing capacity. Just recently started building it up for Expo/mild off road/daily driver use. Pic is as it stood before the holiday road trip. Just had a bumper made. Next is getting it powder coated, adding a winch, and a few more lights. Still haven't decided how I'm going to carry all the gear and provisions or how to mount my ARB fridge.

ryzavyze.jpg

Great looking WK...liking the rubicon wheels.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I think it has to do with the lack of aftermarket/cost of current parts available. I always thought the WK diesel would make a great platform for a build.

Aftermarket parts are slowly becoming available.....and I agree on the diesel WK.

jeepgc

Adventurer
Hi Nick,

Welcome and good to see another wk here.

My build and first ever expedition thread is here:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=113768

Being based in the UK, I found that upgrades etc were even harder to come by.

We chose the wk simply because we always wanted one. The expedition part came after.

We plan to keep our wk for as long as possible and to take it on as many trips as we can, someone said it on another thread and it's true, our jeep really has become part of our family.

BTW I know I am way behind on updates to my thread, but I will be updating it very soon, thanks for your ongoing patience.

big4

Got one too

Hi,
I just got a new (to me) 2008 black CRD Overland WK this week. I am not planning on doing a big build, but will add more aggressive tires and a few little things. It will be used for camping trip with the 2 kids and longer travel (700+ miles) and towing our popup or my Willys Flatfender.

Glad to see a few build threads...

Chris

ROKTAXI

Adventurer
I've had my '06 WK Overland with the QDII T/C for a little over a year now. It works amazingly well. This picture is starting up the hardest section of the Devils Race Track in the San Rafael Swell. Except for a slight ding on the bottom of my diff cover, it made it without any assistance. I have a 2"+ lift w/ 5100 series Bilstein shocks. The only thing I would like is more articulation. I plan on adding sway bar disconnects front and back. Not handy to disconnect but ..... that's the Achilles heal of the IFS system.

Beware of the N23 recall ('05-'10 GC & Commander) that I posted in this thread a couple weeks ago.

DevilsRaceTrk_Me.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles