Traveling Across America in our Nissan Frontier

Been super busy guys, just catching up now....and great news, I finally figured out how to post pictures the correct way!!! FYI don't bother trying to import images from desktop, use photobucket and convert to URL. SOOOO much easier, bu I digress.

Well, Shontae and I got married in Sedona, AZ at Red Rock Crossing. We eloped, just me, her, and our dog Linus. A few points on eloping. 1. Yes 2. Hell Yes 3. Thank you for a stress-free awesome weekend. It was so nice to not have to worry about anybody but ourselves. Actually, we had a 2 hour block where we talked to family and then the phones went back to the off position. We stayed at El Portal in Sedona, AZ. We chose the Grand Canyon room and I have to say I highly recommend it worth every penny, and a plus 100% dog friendly. While we were there at this quaint 12 room hotel, we enjoyed the company of the other guests around a juniper-wooded campfire. After learning that we were getting married and that we didn't plan on getting cake, they plotted not only to get us cake but got us really nice scotch too. Well played guests, well played.

After our wedding we did some other trips using Phoenix as a hub to go back to Joshua Tree, Prescott, & Flagstaff. We made it out to the Overland Expo in Flagstaff and got inspired and educated. I got to take the Frontier on Range Rover Coarse that they had set up too.

Overland Expo Above:

In June, we made the long trip back East to visit family and drop off our dog at my mother and father in-laws house as we had a 3 week trip to Greece planned. We made the trip from Phoenix, AZ to Cumberland, MD in 3 days and yes, we dodged another tornado!! This one was in Missouri, and we missed it by about 45 minutes.

On arrival back to the East coast, we rented a house to entertain friends and family that we haven't seen in over a year. Grilling and drinking beer with great people made the 36 hour drive totally worth it. We left to Greece, but not before finding out just 2 days before we left, that Shontae was pregnant. So we will be having a little boy or girl sometime early 2015!!

Greece was amazing! Although poor Shontae's appetite was not in line with authentic Greek cuisine for 3 weeks, we had a blast. Poor girl wanted mashed potatoes and mac'n cheese while I was eating octopus, squid, red mullet (sucking on their heads), goat... We visited in my families hometown of Litochoro which is a couple of hundred feet up on the eastern face of the Mt Olympus Range. We had plans of hiking it but with the first trimester's little presents we decided to climb it another time. And I didn't mind as I have climbed it in the past. So, we did a few short hikes, explored some really old towns and culture and lounged by the beach. While in Greece, we visited the islands Skiathos and Tsougria. All I can say is now I know why the Beatles wanted to buy the island Tsougria, and why Greece didn't sell it. Absolutely, beautiful.

After our trip back to America, I started a new job in Rhode Island. Unfortunately, at this current job I'm working 8 hour days 5 days a week :( I had been spoiled with my three 12 hour shifts a week, allowing me to have nice extended weekends for travel. Thankfully, I've had a whopping 2 weekends off to actually get outside overlanding since I've been here. We made it out to the Adirondacks in New York and Green Mountain NF in Vermont. Unfortunately, not a lot of photos because it rained about 80% both weekends. We didn't care because the rain stopped every night around dinner time so we could cook over the campfire. And our Howling Moon Stargazer kept us 100% dry during some pretty heavy rains and high winds.

A word to the wise...Call and check about road closures before you go on a trip to somewhere you haven't been before. While in Green Mountain NF, we experienced several road closures that we were unaware of. This was disappointing because prior to our trip we actually called the Green Mountain Ranger station in search of knowledge of dispersed camping with off road access. We were given a list of several forest service roads that offered dispersed camping. Unfortunately about half of the list's roads had road closure access to get to them. Now you'd think that they would have mentioned something like, hey the road to get there has a bridge that washed out during hurricane Irene and hasn't been repaired yet. Despite these setbacks we had a great time. We also managed to go to Orvis' flagship store and I got a new rod and reel in Manchester, VT.

The Adirondacks...well what can I say except that 4 days was not nearly long enough. I used this trip as a scouting mission as the weather did not cooperate and was pretty muddy. But, what I did take away from this trip is that there is some seriously decent off road trails and dispersed camping in the Moose Plains area. Do you homework, get some maps, and go exploring. I am now thinking about my next trip there and how a canoe/kayak and a NY fishing license are in serious order.

Adirondack

Well that pretty much catches us up. More to come, sorry for the delay, but I got a baby on the way.

Excellent! I'm hoping to become more mobile in my job so my wife and I can follow a similar path.

Good luck with becoming more mobile. Best decision we've made so far. If you become more mobile, just stay flexible and go with the flow that is what has worked out best for us. Every time we get our mind set on a particular place the stress level increases. Best to go to the unknown and explore for yourself. If you get mobile, let me know. We've been doing it for just shy of 2 years now and have changed the way we pack and what we've packed a lot.

OverlandRover

We've been doing it for just shy of 2 years now and have changed the way we pack and what we've packed a lot.

Hey Joe, could you elaborate more on what you've learned about packing? Always interested in learning new tips and tricks to keep the overlanding gear minimal and organized. Really enjoying the thread. Thank you!

Hey Joe, could you elaborate more on what you've learned about packing? Always interested in learning new tips and tricks to keep the overlanding gear minimal and organized. Really enjoying the thread. Thank you!

Well OverlandRover, first thanks for the interest in the thread. As for tips and tricks...here are a few. Though I can't take credit for this idea, I do implement this in my travel. I learned this at the overland expo this past year, and it's really simple. To make sure your eggs don't break you use plastic Easter eggs with a little piece of cloth. This keeps your eggs from breaking in the cooler or fridge and doesn't take up precious space in the cooler as you eat some of your eggs. You eat 2/6 eggs in a 1/2 dozen holder and you still have the half dozen holder. With this way it is a 1:1 ratio. Cooler space is precious and anything I can do to get things out of the cooler the better. Here is an example of the eggs I'm talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Plastic-Brigh...F8&qid=1411104206&sr=8-6&keywords=EASTER+EGGS

Before I had the drawer system, this worked out well for me to keep some of my camp stuff together and organized.

http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-STST1...29&sr=8-6&keywords=stanley+tool+box+on+wheels

You have to realize the way my wife and I have a unique traveling situation where we have been staying in apartments for the majority of the time for short term 3 months or so...and using the Frontier as a means of exploring the areas near and dear to the state/area we were staying in. So on of the most annoying thing was carrying everything down to the truck every weekend we had off to go exploring/camping. So finding a way to keep the truck packed was very crucial.

For living place to place. We kept our clothes in military duffels. One for me and one for her. The duffels pack well over wheel wells, before the drawer system and near the windows after the drawer system. That is another thing, you should not have everything in just hard cases. You need soft storage for in-between odd shaped objects.

One thing for cooler use is instead of using free ice, use salt water and freeze it in those gallon gatorade bottles you can buy at wal-mart. I like using them because A. they are made of very decent plastic & B. it's more rectangular than it is circular so it works well in the center of your cooler. Plus as the ice melts it doesn't get your food soaking wet. Also, try to plan your meals out while your camping and pre-freeze the items that you'll be eating later in your trip.

If you are using apartments as a home base, similar to the way we did... Then invest in an aerobed, they are way worth every dollar spent. And using cabelas/bass pro whatever, camping tables for around the house. They pack flat and are very well-made/sturdy.

Do you have anything in specific that is a problem in your system that you have questions about?

MikeCG

Adventurer
On your comment about eggs: I have researched refrigeration free travel to see what can be backed camping. I have learned that many things that we normally refrigerate at home will keep quite a while uncooled. For example, if you buy farm fresh eggs that have never been refrigerated, they will keep for several weeks. The secret is to get them from a local farm and ensure they as "Unwashed". Sounds kind of bad, but when the eggs are layed, they have a natural coating on them. The natural coating keep bacteria out of the pours of the egg. If you choose to do this, find a spot out of direct sunlight to store them, and have a small bowl to break them into to check the smell before you cool them. Occationally you will have one that turns on you. Some of the farming and survival sites that I have checked claim the uncleaned eggs can keep up to 6 weeks. The U.S. is one of only a hand full of countries that actually sell eggs refrigerated. Most European countries sell them uncleaned and room temperature.

JCMatthews

Tour Guide
You can take eggs from any store, and rub them thoroughly with mineral oil and it will give them an 8 month shelf life. So when eggs are on sale buy them up give them a good oiling and store them away.

OverlandRover

Do you have anything in specific that is a problem in your system that you have questions about?

No, I just like to hear what others are doing as I'm always looking for new ideas to improve upon my own system. The egg tips are all brilliant! I love eggs! Pre-freezing your meals is also good planning advice.

With my work schedule I'm also mostly limited to random weekends when I can get away. I use my vehicle for work, so I can't really keep it pre-packed the way I'd like. So I share your frustration with the repetitive loading/unloading. My solution is to be as minimalist as possible and keep just a few pre-packed bags and cases, so I can grab them, load up and be enroute on short notice. To make matters even more challenging, I insist on sleeping inside my vehicle. I really don't like hasseling with tents.

Thanks for the eggcellent ideas! :chef:

profdlp

Adventurer
Wow, this thread reads like a proposal for a movie script. Of course, if it was fiction no one would believe it. :elkgrin:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94