Family of 4 from Belize to NC the long way...

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Funny, was up at your new digs today- very nice indeed!! Having some motors swapped around....
I am running over for the day Sat, as I need a down day- long over due!!
Hate you won't be there, and yes- planning on EE for sure!
Thanks!

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Mods, please move to current expeditions as we are in western Belize, finally!!

Got the Defender yesterday, amazing vehicle! Drove west about 5 miles shy of the Guatemala border. Took the kids to pyramid ruins this am, and had a grand time. Headed out by horseback after lunch to explore the jungle a bit. Last night sleep was a surprise to the kids with Howler Monkeys making quite the racket all night. We are sleeping in the jungle adjacent the river in elevated platform tents.

Time for a bite, and off via horse!!

goodwaves

Adventurer
awesome you guys are on the road finally!
Post pics and keep us updated!
Living vicariously thru ya'll on this trip!
safe travels.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Left Belize yesterday am, crossing into Guatemala immediately. Crossing/customs went well, now just north west of Guatemala City at the malnutrition center. We will be here until Monday am, then north towards home... Realize this drive was from the northeast corner to the southwest portion of Guatemala, crossing the mountains. We are staying at near 9,000 foot elevation!

We were delayed a few hours yesterday morning watching Howler Monkeys in camp! We were staying in platform tents in the jungle, and met a few wonderful folks from Toronto and New Hampshire! Kids are soaking up the experience. We went horse back riding one day in the jungles and had a spectacular time! Amazing views, and lots of wildlife.

The drive yesterday was long, but mostly good roads for third world country standards. Grades in the small villages were insane at times, having to do a few three point turns in the 130. Also, Easter is the biggest holiday of the year. Each town as well as large cities do reenactments of the crucifixion, starting with carrying the cross across town- all full on life size! Quite a commitment to say the least, and spectacular to see...

Time to run, but will attempt pics later today if I can it sorted, not my speciality as my wife has the pics on her phone, and I am on the mini. Thanks for the well wishes!!

jgdisco2

Adventurer
Dale, sorry we didn't get to see each other more than just a minute at Uwharrie. Looks like a fantastic trip for you and the family and memories y'all can share for many moons to come.... Looking forward to your posts on this and be safe on your travels.

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Thanks Jonathan, and I hate it too. We had so much going I was lucky to get there for the day!
Always up for a day midweek if you ever have time....

witt

Adventurer
Hi!

We are currently in Chiapas and will be heading into Guatemala in a couple of days on MX190 on our way to Lake Atitlan. We're looking for somewhere in between to camp to break up the drive - let us know if you have any recommendations.

We are traveling with our 5 year old son. It's always good to meet other families on the road!

Happy travels
Witt

Rovertrader

Supporting Sponsor
Hey Witt, sorry I just got this! You should be at Lake Atitlan by now, which is gorgeous!! We wished we had lots more time to spend there, and plan to return with that as our destination- touted as the most beautiful lake in the world!!
Our kids are 7&9, and did great- way better than I ever would have at that age. Would love to have met, but maybe next time- enjoy the trip!!

We are home now, and back to reality- sadly.... I will assimilate pics and post soon- sorry my tech skills lacked to do it 'live'.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior