Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
Not an owner, but love the Stelvio. My friend Jim here in Prescott is the local dealer and has one in stock. I've longingly gawked at it quite a bit since it's literally walking distance from my house.

Speaking to a few Stelvio owners its a great bike. Not for the dirt.

peneumbra

Explorer
Yes, I've seen the one in Prescott. Tell you what: you distract him, I'll wheel it out the door, and we can each ride it for six months--

No, just kidding. He's bound to notice it missing sooner or later...

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
One of my college buddies has a 2012 Stelvio and he's logged quite a considerable stretch of dirt with it. He likened it to a V-Strom off road, or perhaps a Triumph 1200. He routinely uses the word, "huge" to describe how it feels in even modest off-road scenarios. I'd love to own one someday.

Like all Guzzis I think you have to couch practicality in favor of a love of the brand. To be honest, I'm suspicious of any motorcycle enthusiasts not instinctively appreciative of the Guzzi brand. At least on some level.

peneumbra

Explorer
The first motorcycle I ever rode was an early-70's Guzzi 850 LAPD bike, around and around in the parking lot of North Hollywood Division, so I have really good feelings about them.

mkitchen

Explorer
A nice bike

My friend has a 2013 and loves it. He has ridden it on a perimeter of the states. I have ridden it a bit as he was trying to talk me into buying one. I almost did but I have no overland experience and decided to go with something smaller to start with. If I was looking for a full size, I really would look seriously at the Stelvio.
There is a very long thread extolling the merits of the Stelvio on ADVrider. You may want to cruise through some of that but beware; these folks are Stelvio owners and very enthusiastic about their bikes.
Mikey

Mechanical

Adventurer
Last summer we rode with a guy who had one. He was really in love with it (as it seems with anyone who has them). His only complaint was the lack of suspension for offroad riding. We watched it TRACTOR up a sandy hill when everything else got suck, rooster tail was 30 ft. high... hilarious. :Wow1:

dino1.jpg

drcoopster

Adventurer
Last summer we rode with a guy who had one. He was really in love with it (as it seems with anyone who has them). His only complaint was the lack of suspension for offroad riding. We watched it TRACTOR up a sandy hill when everything else got suck, rooster tail was 30 ft. high... hilarious. :Wow1:

dino1.jpg

:bike_rider:

That was me. What a great bike! :luxhello:

IMG_20130216_140852.jpg

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
As Scott said, he's put a good bit of time on the Stelvio we have in the temporary fleet. I've only ridden it a bit here and there, not much off-road and I do really love it as well. I'm always interested in the impressions observed by Scott in relationship to my own. He tends to gravitate towards bigger bikes whereas I tend to shy away from them the rougher the roads get. For me, I have to pair myself to a big bike with certain attributes that make maneuvering it feasible. The BMW 1200 Adventure as an example is positively ridiculous to me. SO big. But the non-adventure, like the Stelvio, have a certain balance and presence that while big, is manageable.

I have always been drawn to the Stelvio, even through the negative banter that seemed to befall it in it's early years. I do find it interesting that those same voices once chiding the Stelvio for a host of unfounded biases are now singing its praises. It hasn't changed. I think it's just becoming more popular to champion the once perceived unpopular choices.

drcoopster

Adventurer
The Stelvio changed substantially between the older non-NTX version and the current NTX version. The big complaints about the non-NTX version often revolve around the wide rear wheel and the relatively limited fuel capacity, both of which were addressed in the NTX version. The frame and engine also changed. Actually, there's not a lot that didn't change, other than the overall appearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke