'03 MKiii vs my '04 D2?

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
First off, this is not the semi daily "Toyota vs Rover" pre-purchase post where I will start planning all of the aftermarket accessories I'm going to buy on an imaginary vehicle. :coffee: Also, thanks in advance for following along with my rambling out-of-order thoughts. I must have forgotten my ADHD meds this morning.

This all started while trying to find the boss of the house a new vehicle. A navy '03 MKiii came available locally, but unfortunately she hates it (it's not white).

I however am thinking that it might work for me...which shocks me a little because my Disco is my baby.

I have already swapped the suspension, built a sleeping platform, and installed a new bumper/winch on the Disco. It suits me as a camping/hunting/fun off-roading vehicle for the Rocky Mountains. But it's just a little small...

I have a buddy who sold a Disco for 2x what I paid for mine...that's a big IF here, but if I can do that, the work/time/money I put into it will feel good going right back into the MKiii...

Stats: 04 Disco S with 112k vs 03 RR HSE with 70k (!!)

Going to have the local indy take a look at the Rangie this week as the steering feels a bit awkward, but otherwise the engine runs well and brakes are light years ahead of the Disco (and I can see with the headlights on!).

I won't be able to build a sleeping platform in the Range as it would block my spare tire access...I've also read that with the seats folded the rear is not as big as I'm imagining it is (I should have tested this on my first test drive). With the seats folded down, would me (5'11") and the boss and 2 small dogs fit lying down? We like to car camp and yes I do have an SUV tent so we can take advantage of the drop tailgate - but when I go hunting I do not bring the tent and will sleep in the back solo.

Range has more power and hauling capacity (+700lbs), but it weighs more and has no locking center diff (which did come in handy in the slop this year). It has 19" rims with bald tires and I know that will be an expense (which I would knock off the purchase price - but 19" AT tires are pricey). It has some dings which I will use to negotiate. But also needs certain little things (like a new remote key, new passenger mirror, new center console cupholder, a detailing to remove years of kids abuse, etc) and I know the EAS can get pricey too.

ANYWAY...for hunting in the mountain west: '03 Range Rover vs '04 Disco? What would you do? What should I look for above and beyond what I already know about Discos? If there wasn't a 40k mileage difference, I wouldn't be asking this question. If I buy the Range then I'm also gambling on selling the Disco for an appropriate asking price. But in the meantime, the boss would be forced to drive the blue Range while we find her a white one. :ylsmoke:

Thanks.

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Range has more power and hauling capacity (+700lbs), but it weighs more and has no locking center diff (which did come in handy in the slop this year). It has 19" rims with bald tires and I know that will be an expense (which I would knock off the purchase price - but 19" AT tires are pricey).

The L322 center differential does lock up progressively by sensing the torque differential between front and rear. This works similar to the automatic viscous differential in the MkI and II Range Rovers. People go on about the manually locking center diffs like the LT230 in the Defenders and Disco's, but in reality the Range Rover automatic diffs work a lot better in real world use, especially on snow, ice, loose surfaces like sand, gravel and mud. They are not a hinderance to off road performance and drive so much nicer than a manually locking diff, provided they are in good working order that is. The only slight advantage there is to the manually locking diff is in a slow rock-crawling situation, where it may be better to have it locked from the beginning. Otherwise, the auto locking ones react very quickly and seamlessly to slippage fore and aft. Best of all they can distribute torque variably as conditions demand, instead of the 50/50 of the manually locking one which is actually a hinderance at speed on loose surfaces, causing you to have less rather than more traction and reducing steering ability. Just my two cents.

On the wheel issue, it's easy to fit the factory 18 inch wheels for an L322 and that's what I'd do if I had one and wanted to use it off road. The L322 will blow the D2 out of the water in most overlanding style travel. It's the Range Rover advantage. . . :ylsmoke:

Last edited:

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
The L322 center differential does lock up progressively by sensing the torque differential between front and rear. This works similar to the automatic viscous differential in the MkI and II Range Rovers. People go on about the manually locking center diffs like the LT230 in the Discoveries and Disco's, but in reality the Range Rover automatic diffs work a lot better in real world use, especially on snow, ice, loose surfaces like sand, gravel and mud. They are not a hinderance to off road performance and drive so much nicer than a manually locking diff, provided they are in good working order that is. The only slight advantage there is to the manually locking diff is in a slow rock-crawling situation, where it may be better to have it locked from the beginning. Otherwise, the auto locking ones react very quickly and seamlessly to slippage fore and aft. Best of all they can distribute torque variably as conditions demand, instead of the 50/50 of the manually locking one which is actually a hinderance at speed on loose surfaces, causing you to have less rather than more traction and reducing steering ability. Just my two cents.

Phenomenal to hear...thank you. And no, I don't rock crawl - but snow and/or mud is far more likely to play in. Go Illini.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
At the risk of doing EXACTLY WHAT I SAID I WOULDN'T DO...I forgot to mention that I HATED the GPS/overall feel of the stereo. I have read that a BMW M5 MKiv computer swap is almost a no-brainer. Has anyone done that? I read it's plug and play and if you want the LR logo it's just a firmware patch and immediately the screen modernizes.

The GPS makes a relatively modern looking interior feel 1992.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Sounds like the Range Rover wasn't cared for properly.

What makes you think that? To me it just looks like it was a soccer mom vehicle. Kid damage.

I think my Disco had more pressing maintenance issues than the MKiii appears to have. I'll find out for sure when the indy takes a look. I can fix nearly everything...diagnosing is not my strong suit.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
On the wheel issue, it's easy to fit the factory 18 inch wheels for an L322 and that's what I'd do if I had one and wanted to use it off road. The L322 will blow the D2 out of the water in most overlanding style travel. It's the Range Rover advantage. . . :ylsmoke:

Great commercial.

Do my Disco wheels have the same bolt pattern? 16" black wheels may look odd, but at least it would push off a tire purchase for a year. Then again, bald tires would also make my selling of the D2 a bit slower (tires and windshield are the two quickest ways to lose a sale). I need to get rid of the mud tires anyway as this winter has reminded me how awful they are in snow/ice.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
IMG_3279_zpsec65d6dd.jpg

vs

Disco6_zps09de2942.jpg

David Harris

Expedition Leader
Great commercial.

Do my Disco wheels have the same bolt pattern? 16" black wheels may look odd, but at least it would push off a tire purchase for a year. Then again, bald tires would also make my selling of the D2 a bit slower (tires and windshield are the two quickest ways to lose a sale). I need to get rid of the mud tires anyway as this winter has reminded me how awful they are in snow/ice.
16's won't fit on the L322 because of the size of the brakes.

Here is a good brief on tire/wheel options for the L322:

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/tires/mkiiitires.html

Look for a set of one of the 18 inch versions listed. They weren't offered in the states but you can buy them from the Land Rover dealer or import a set from ebay uk.

Read up on this site for all you need to know about the L322 and all Range Rovers to date.

http://www.rangerovers.net/modelspecs/index.html

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
16's won't fit on the L322 because of the size of the brakes.

Here is a good brief on tire/wheel options for the L322:

http://www.rangerovers.net/outfitting/tires/mkiiitires.html

Look for a set of one of the 18 inch versions listed. They weren't offered in the states but you can buy them from the Land Rover dealer or import a set from ebay uk.

Read up on this site for all you need to know about the L322 and all Range Rovers to date.

http://www.rangerovers.net/modelspecs/index.html

Great sites...thanks. Looks like A/T tire choices are completely absent for the 19" wheels...guess I should price 18" wheels before diving in.

hks3sgte

César Gómez
What makes you think that? To me it just looks like it was a soccer mom vehicle. Kid damage.

I think my Disco had more pressing maintenance issues than the MKiii appears to have. I'll find out for sure when the indy takes a look. I can fix nearly everything...diagnosing is not my strong suit.

Bald tires.

SteveMfr

Supporting Sponsor
As I've posted before:
I am absolutely in love with the L322. It drives like a car on road and it is incredibly capable off. And, comfort wise, it is unparalleled. We are in the process of looking for our second L322. I am relatively sure it will be a TDV8. Our present TD6 will remain as a travel vehicle.

rrortires.jpg
I run 18" wheels with 275/65's. This is about as big as you can go w/o problems/larger mods.
Another member here, jdholder (who also runs the same size tires) has a neat solution for the spare tire. A 275/65 18 will not fit in the original spot: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/38396-Spare-Tire-Carrier-Ideas?p=561169#post561169
18" wheels go for next to nothing on ebay.co.uk (because everyone wants 22">...). I've purchased wheels in the UK and had them shipped to France for relatively little with these guys http://www.wheelcouriers.co.uk/. Maybe they can do a decent price to the US as well.

As for off-road capabilities, there was a German off road magazine that did a 'super test' of off road capabilities of vehicles they tested. All vehicles were subjected to the same conditions at an Ex-German military facility vehicle proving grounds with man made 'obstacles'. In 2007 the L322 RR set a new benchmark beating the likes of the Defender, MB G, and lots of other off road icons.

jh.

ambitiose sed ineptum
Another buyer offered the exact same amount as I did, but did not require an inspection like I had asked for...so the Disco it is! Still trying to find the fiance a White MkIII (she'll only drive one if it's white - and then it can be a hand-me-down for me later on). Good news on the tires - thank you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles