Help with Heat Exhanger/Shower Set-up

KYC

Adventurer
Hey guys,

I'm just a Helton Heat Exchanger and wanted to make sure I have this correctly in my head before I start installing it.

I want to be able to pull water from a lake or stream if I every run out of water.

I also want to keep the set-up as simple as possible. I'm assuming the pump goes after the heat exchanger, but even if it doesn't, is the overall set-up in my diagram correct?

Thanks in advance for any input.

Attachments

• Heat Exhanger Diagram.jpg
    Heat Exhanger Diagram.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 30

Septu

Explorer
So you'd take the hose from the bumper and use that to fill the tank from a water source if need be? Then use water from the tank to run through the heat exchange? I'm confused about the cooling system, but other than that it looks like it makes sense to me - but then I haven't done anything with water yet. But the pretty picture seems to make sense.

jkosten

Observer
It will be a pain to prime that pump to pull from a outside water source. You are better off carring a small 12v submersible pump to transfer the water into the storage tank. Easy source for 12v pumps are marine bilge pumps or live well pumps fyi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dogcar3

Observer
I am curious about your pump location, aren't most pumps before the heat exchanger? That way they don't have to deal with the heat and the siphoning/priming of the pump seems like it would be easier. I am in the process of building a water system as well, but I don't plan on having an onboard tank. I just have a pump and a heat exchanger so far.

KYC

Adventurer
So you'd take the hose from the bumper and use that to fill the tank from a water source if need be? Then use water from the tank to run through the heat exchange? I'm confused about the cooling system, but other than that it looks like it makes sense to me - but then I haven't done anything with water yet. But the pretty picture seems to make sense.

The cooling system just means the cars coolant lines. The actual heat source, but yeah you have the idea. I'm not sure if that is the correct or most efficient way to do it though.

It will be a pain to prime that pump to pull from a outside water source. You are better off carring a small 12v submersible pump to transfer the water into the storage tank. Easy source for 12v pumps are marine bilge pumps or live well pumps fyi.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Trying to keeps this as minimal as possible. What if I pretty much put my car directly next to the outside water source? How much hose would a typical 12v water pump need to do this before it starts to struggle?

I am curious about your pump location, aren't most pumps before the heat exchanger? That way they don't have to deal with the heat and the siphoning/priming of the pump seems like it would be easier. I am in the process of building a water system as well, but I don't plan on having an onboard tank. I just have a pump and a heat exchanger so far.

Yeah, I've been reading people putting the pump before. I'm going to do just that.

I don't want to drill holes in places, cut hoses, etc to find out my set-up is wrong.

Thanks for all the input so far.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz