My utility bed trailer build

cwheeler

Been reading here a while and have recently started my build, so figured I'd share it here.

I found a utility bed already mounted to a trailer frame on Craigslist. Here it was when I brought it home.
5ugu5y3a.jpg

Stripped the paint, primed, flipped the axle, did sheet metal patch work, matching wheels and tires, and here how she sits now behind tow vehicle.
4uzaty4a.jpg

Starting on building a rack for a CVT Mt Ranier up top.

Future plans:
Slide out fridge and sink
CVT awning
Water tank mounted underneath
LED lights throughout
Slide out propane stove
Reserve fuel tank mounted below
On board air
And much more.

More updates to come, hope you enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

loren85022

Explorer
That's a rather unique body. Do you happen to know the manufacturer? More pictures would be great. Looking forward to the build. Sounds like you have some good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
Very nice. It looks good with the Jeep.
I like the slope back design, It reminds me of a 50's telephone truck body.
Please post pictures of the back and with the doors open. I would like to see the inside.

cwheeler

That's a rather unique body. Do you happen to know the manufacturer? More pictures would be great. Looking forward to the build. Sounds like you have some good ideas.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't found any markings or manufacturers plates yet so I have no clue who made it. I have followed your build and will be borrowing a few ideas from you. I will post up many more pics when I get a chance.

cwheeler

Very nice. It looks good with the Jeep.
I like the slope back design, It reminds me of a 50's telephone truck body.
Please post pictures of the back and with the doors open. I would like to see the inside.

I believe it's an old southwestern bell/AT&T bed. That's what I see them used for around here. I am replacing part of the tailgate due to rust so ill post pics of the back when I'm done with that.

cwheeler

Well been busy working on trailer the last 2 weeks, we took it on the maiden voyage this weekend to Padre Island National Seashore. We didn't go to far down island so can't say much for how it does in soft sand. Had a front blow through Saturday night. Temps went from 65 to about 50 with a stiff 35-40 mph north wind and blowing rain. The CVT RTT held up great we were dry and warm up top, dogs were cozy down below in the annex. Anyways here's the pics .

Setup from the dunes.
9arapyde.jpg

yjy8etyn.jpg

Breakfast and close up of setup.
a4equ6yd.jpg

vydu6u4y.jpg

u3egyju3.jpg

35 gal water tank on tongue.
yvu8uqu5.jpg

Tankless water heater for warm showers. Works great pretty much instant hot water.
4agehu4e.jpg

ete4enej.jpg
3enahu4u.jpg

Cooler storage compartment, soon to be slide out for 12v fridge.
udy3emym.jpg

Some shots of the tent and extendable roof rack.
re5ejujy.jpg

5ytuva3e.jpg
zezyruja.jpg
6uma8y2u.jpg
u8uqyze5.jpg

Parents met us down there with their 5th wheel
ja7egu2e.jpg

RTT view in the morning.
a3e3ena9.jpg

Everything worked good, beside the crummy weather. Have a few kinks to iron out, and a torn annex from the dogs breaking out. All in all I'm happy with it. Hope y'all enjoy reading and looking!

Mark Harley

Expedition Leader
I like the sprayer tank you used It is a nice size.
Looks like the rear compartment was made for the water heater and tank.
Nice work.

loren85022

Explorer
Wow, love it. Nothing better than 'in the wild,' photos. I have RTT envy. Maybe it's getting time to form a utility bed off-road trailer association.

Sent from my iToaster

jruba

Adventurer
Nice trailer ... I would like to ask you how much it weights? , and how does it feel behind the Jeep ?

The Swiss

Expedition Leader
Wow, nice trailer find and nice build. And all done so quickly, congrats. You waste no time posting progress reports for every added bottle cap opener and just get it done, love it :D

North Padre Island definitely is on my to-go list; I have been there a couple times while on business in the area but never with my Jeep and trailer; I think it would be well worth the 20 hour drive.

cwheeler

Titanpat thanks! Love waking up to the sunrise over the Gulf.

Mark, i originally was going to mount a tank underneath for better weight distribution and lower center of gravity, but money and time prevented that for now. I didn't plan on the water heater and tank fitting so well it just worked out that way.

Loren, I love the utility bed platforms and got a lot of inspiration from your build, so thanks!

Jruba, thank you. Haven't had a chance to get it to the scale so not sure on weight, I'm guessing 3000 lbs but could be way off. The jeep pulls it great, it tracks well, doesn't sway much, and feels solid over bumps. The front of the trailer is a little wider than the jeep and the RTT is a little higher than the jeep so they both catch a lot of wind, which made for some bad gas mileage at 9.5 mpg.

The Swiss, thanks! I really lucked out finding this trailer on Craigslist and made a 10 hour round trip to get it, but was the perfect platform for me. I was going to post more progress pics but was so busy I didn't have time. I will be adding to it over time, I just wanted to get the basics for now. You should definitely check out PINS when you get a chance, its my favorite place to be. Just beware the weather and beach conditions before visiting, as they can change quickly and be very unforgiving. I have seen the surf claim many a vehicle down there.

cwheeler

Here's how she sits with the tent packed and rack in the down position.

juga4age.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz