I scratched up my 4runner. Now what?

smiper

Observer
I've had my black 2006 4runner for just over a year, and I've already managed to put some pretty significant scratches in it. They were well worth it, and I wont miss out on any fun to keep the truck cherry, but I would like to do what I can to keep it looking nice. The scratches I have fall into 3 categories:

1) Faint white trail pinstriping. This doesn't both me so much. I'll likely leave it as is, with an annual detail and polish.

2) Trough the paint on the lower plastic panels. I'd like to clean these up because the silvery plastic is showing under the black paint in a few spots. Has anyone had their lower trim truck bed lined? What do you think it would cost to do the whole lower part of the truck, including front and rear stock bumpers? DIY is not an option, as I hate doing anything finish related.

3) Through the paint on the metal door panels. These are the smallest and most rare battle wounds, but I have a few. They're also the most concerning, considering rust. How do you recommend touching up the body panels? Have someone else do it?

Thanks for your input!

smiper

Observer
264 views, 0 responses. I truly hope that means that everyone is running around with a heavily scratched up rig. I'll fit right in!

Seriously though, #3 (scratch body panels, down to the metal) is the only one I really need to take action on. Any input?

Dwill817

Toyota Fanatic!
Yeah we all have scratched up bodies.. Idk what to tell you besides maybe one if those duplicolor pen things and touch it up.

Other than that, it's just past of being used as a offroad vehicle. Scratches happen.

01tundra

Explorer
It's going to happen if you use them......invest in some factory touch up paint pens and let it rock :sombrero:

dents_zps15091f67.jpg

java

Expedition Leader
IIRC there is someone around with a 4th gen that rhino lined the rockers. no idea on cost.

The dealer sells color matches paint pens for the deep ones. Thats what i did. And just don't wash it and you cant see them! :)

KiwiKurt

Explorer
I've had my black 2006 4runner for just over a year, and I've already managed to put some pretty significant scratches in it. They were well worth it, and I wont miss out on any fun to keep the truck cherry, but I would like to do what I can to keep it looking nice. The scratches I have fall into 3 categories:

1) Faint white trail pinstriping. This doesn't both me so much. I'll likely leave it as is, with an annual detail and polish.

Easiest to fix. Just requires some grit compound and wet sand, a little bit of polish then wax away.

2) Trough the paint on the lower plastic panels. I'd like to clean these up because the silvery plastic is showing under the black paint in a few spots. Has anyone had their lower trim truck bed lined? What do you think it would cost to do the whole lower part of the truck, including front and rear stock bumpers? DIY is not an option, as I hate doing anything finish related.

You can rhino line it. (or similar product)

3) Through the paint on the metal door panels. These are the smallest and most rare battle wounds, but I have a few. They're also the most concerning, considering rust. How do you recommend touching up the body panels? Have someone else do it?

If you want it to look good, dont do it yourself. Good detailers make a living for a reason. You will need to apply touch up paint in phases and go through wet sanding to get it to blend, and then re apply some clear coat. You can make a go of it yourself if you just want it covered and dont care if you see the repair work, but you will be able to tell. A good detailer can fix a lot. I had a situation where I needed a dent taken out of a van from hitting a concrete pillar. Took it to the local detailer that worked on the high end cars at luxury dealerships in the area. He mixed touch up paint in the back of his van, wet sanded it in, reapplied clear etc. in about an hour. Cost me a little over $100 bucks.

For materials, google "detailers domain" and contact them. They are some of the premier detailers in the nation (Based in east coast) but have a retail shop and will give you guidance on what products to use. Some are not cheap.

The long term solution if you care to keep the truck looking flashy is to get it professionally corrected/detailed, then rhino line the lower pieces and apply paint film to the other areas.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your input![/QUOTE]

java

Expedition Leader
A heavy coat of a good wax will keep the little stuff off for the most part also.

smiper

Observer
Great stuff today, thanks guys. I think I'll grab an OEM pen from the dealer for the body panels and call it good. I'd like to Rhino Line the cladding, but maybe down the line.

Java- any chance I saw you cruising through the UW campus early yesterday morning? Dark blue 4th gen Sport, plate bumper, sliders, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior