LR3 Sliders info

A.J.M

Explorer
I bought a set of terrafirma rock and tree silders for my D3 recently.
Fitted them last week and have noticed a few things on them that i'm not overly happy with.

The front holes to bolt to the underside of the car don't line up properly.
The sliders go the full length of the car, but under the front wing trim, kicking it out and leaving it unclipped at the bottom.
I have had to remove the grey trim fixed to the bodyshell and i now think that the doors don't seal properly again creating a low whistling.

Do anyone else have sliders fitted and have the same issues i have?
Do Rasta, voyager etc have similar issues?

I got them cheap as used items, but they have never been used off road.

Fivespddisco

Supporting Sponsor
That is odd. We have never had an issue fitting them. Are you sure you are putting them on the correct way?

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I bought a set of terrafirma rock and tree silders for my D3 recently.
The front holes to bolt to the underside of the car don't line up properly.

This is a LR issue, not a TerraFirma issue. LR moves those front holes all over the darn place (+/- 1/2" or more). When I was working with the Rover Specialties guys, that was a reoccuring problem.

zelatore

Explorer
Well, I just ordered a set of Tactical sliders for my LR3 and a buddy's LR4. I suppose we'll find out how well they fit soon enough.

A.J.M

Explorer
They can only go on one way. They have end caps for the bodyshell behind the rear doors so the left side can't fit the right and vice verca.

Strange as i unbolted a set of LR side steps to fit them. The side steps were "well used" in off road situations and bore a couple ( loads lol ) of marks.

Would it be possible Zelatore to post up some pictures of the sliders once you get them?

Mack73

Adventurer
I had a similar experience with my Tactical rovers sliders. Nothing a cut off wheel and welder couldn't fix.. but still.

zelatore

Explorer
They can only go on one way. They have end caps for the bodyshell behind the rear doors so the left side can't fit the right and vice verca.

Strange as i unbolted a set of LR side steps to fit them. The side steps were "well used" in off road situations and bore a couple ( loads lol ) of marks.

Would it be possible Zelatore to post up some pictures of the sliders once you get them?

I'll try to remember to put up some pics. I've been waiting to post my rig up in the 'LR3 registry' thread until I at least get some armor on it for good looks...:)

It'll likely be a couple weeks though. The sliders were fab'ed already and in-stock but had to go out for powdercoat before shipping. I expect they'll ship mid/late this week, and I'm heading out to play in the mud at Hollister Hills with NCLR this weekend so even if they arrive by Friday I won't have time to install until the following weekend.

FWIW, I'm expecting a 'bolt on but with a little work' sort of thing. I don't expect anything I can't handle with a drill and grinder. At this point I'll give it 50/50 that they bolt on with no work, but that's just a guess.

jerdog53

Explorer
Well I found a set of used Sierra Expedition rock sliders with the tube extensions! They are being shipped currently so once installed I'll post up some photos of my LR3.

spikemd

Explorer
I am picking up an LR3 on Sunday and will be looking for sliders as well. Good to hear there are choices out there. Most everything for my P38 was custom fabricated.

I would like a set with kick-outs as my wife is vertically challenged and eventually, I will convert to coils. If anyone knows of some used ones, pm me. Thx.

zelatore

Explorer
You're picking up Squatch's rig, right? Looked like a great deal!

Hard to find used bits for these trucks. I do know David will have a set of sliders off his LR4 coming up in a week or so...not sure of fitment between the 3/4 though.

I'll be installing my TR sliders tomorrow. Feel free to stop by on your way home from the bay and show off the new ride. :)

zelatore

Explorer
Installed my Tactical sliders and gas tank skid today. No problems everything lined up and went together smoothly. I had to wrestle with the first one I did (the passenger side) a bit until I got the hang of it, but once I figured it out it went on nicely. I worked solo, just using a jack to hold the parts in place until I could start the bolts. Two people might help, but it's easy enough with one.

I didn't realize I would have to trim some of the plastic rocker trim at the bottom of the front fenders, but it's no big deal. Just trim along an existing line and snap it back in place.

Lots of protection - the sliders go all the way in to the frame rails and the gas tank skid overlaps. I'm waiting on the transfer case skid in a week or so to complete my underside armor.

Here's a link to more pictures:
http://s816.photobucket.com/user/zelatore/library/07 Land Rover LR3?sort=3&page=1

zelatore

Explorer
275/65-18 E-load on stock 18" wheels.
I did a little trimming on the front inner fenders and the frame horns at the back of the front fender wells. I also have the rear air/heat so I moved the aluminum coolant lines in the passenger rear fender and flattened out the body seams.
I'm running Johnson rods. It was drivable without any mods, but it would rub if flexed or on the street when rolling in a corner. Nothing damaging, but the rubbing was annoying so I did the trimming. I can provide full details if somebody needs them but it's all been covered before.

jerdog53

Explorer
Ok, yes it is nothing that hasn't been covered before and I have pretty much decided to go with this tire and size combination.

Last edited:

zelatore

Explorer
I've had them out in icy snow and sloppy mud as well as on the street and I'm happy with them. Haven't tried them on the rocks yet but expect they'll do fine there as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior