LR3 Sliders info

zelatore

Explorer
You found parts for an LR3 on craigslist?!?! How on earth did you do that????:Wow1:

I can't even find an ARB fridge on CL, much less anything for the LR3 specifically.

jerdog53

Explorer
I have found 3 LR3 items on CL 2 fell through but none the less 2 different roof racks and these sliders.

Finlayforprez

Observer
You found parts for an LR3 on craigslist?!?! How on earth did you do that????:Wow1:

I can't even find an ARB fridge on CL, much less anything for the LR3 specifically.

Hahaha! A couple times I've seen LR3 accessories on Craigslist for our area, but very, very seldom.

I also search Craiglist weekly for an ARB fridge! :)

On a different note, I just received my ArkPac and can't wait to mount it - but, need to get a battery first.

https://www.arkportablepower.com/Key-Features

Are you considering a second battery? I like the ArkPac because I can remove it from the truck...... the second battery install for the LR4 is a bit annoying because of the dual air intake - I think on your LR3 there is a nice spot :)

Finlayforprez

Observer
Hello Everyone,

Last weekend I installed my Tactical 4x4 sliders and gas tank skid plate - very nice piece of protection! I will be getting the transfer case skid plate soon. I have a 2013 LR4, so I used their provided bracket to raise up the compressor and it worked well, but it's definitely a bit louder, which is to be expected and not a big deal. I may try to inslulate the sound a bit more, but the increase noise of the compressor in the cabin is not an issue considering the amount of protection the sliders offer.

My question for those with LR3s and LR4s who have the Tactical 4x4 sliders, did you do anything to cover up the exposed compressor in the back of the driver's side slider (in front of the driver's side rear wheel)? I know the factory plastic case does not really offer too much protection from the elements and the compressor is fine getting wet, etc., but it is much more exposed with the new sliders. I do like the fact that there is better air circulation for the compressor, but I would like to come up with a way to cover opening a bit so offer some protection from the elements (mostly mud, dirt, and dust).

Anyone have any experience with this or ideas? I am still working on putting some foam on top and between the slider and bracket to cut down on the increased vibration/noise coming from the compressor when it runs.

Thanks in advance.

Regards, David

Mack73

Adventurer
Interesting. So that is how they made the sliders fit. On the old version the metal extended the entire way back to the wheel. Personally I would find a way to bolt/weld a piece of metal to cover the exposed compressor.

Eventually when my compressor goes I'll need to do a modification to get that big girl to fit... not looking forward to that.

Finlayforprez

Observer
Interesting. So that is how they made the sliders fit. On the old version the metal extended the entire way back to the wheel. Personally I would find a way to bolt/weld a piece of metal to cover the exposed compressor.

Eventually when my compressor goes I'll need to do a modification to get that big girl to fit... not looking forward to that.

Yes, starting with certain 2012 LR4s and beyond, they switched to the AMK compressor and it hangs a bit lower than the previous compressor model. It is a great compressor, but I am sure that the folks at Land Rover lowered it and put it in the foam-encased plastic case to decrease the noise/vibrations.

Tactical 4x4 came up with a bracket that allows you to lift the compressor to be able to fit the slider. In doing so, you have to remove the factory bottom plastic cover, but you leave the top cover on - it sort of just sits on top. The bracket is made of steel, instead of aluminum, but works well to lift up the compressor.

The sliders offer amazing protection everywhere, but not sure why Tactical 4x4 left that open - maybe for the sliders to breathe more, but not sure that is needed since they come encased in the plastic cover. Like I said, the plastic cover does not really offer full protection from the elements, but it at least had a bit of enclosure.

I e-mailed Eric at Tactical 4x4 to get his input, but I think I am going to work on something that at least covers up that opening somewhat - but still allows for air circulation.

My LR4 only have 5,500 miles on it, but when my EAS goes, I am converting to coils.

-David

jerdog53

Explorer
Updated Poser shot with the new tires, lift rods and rock sliders installed…

IMG_1300.jpg

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
AJM, did you end up sticking with the TF sliders? if so, how have they held up for you? Seeing them for a great price on Atlantic British at the moment...

A.J.M

Explorer
Hi Mike.

Yes, i still have the sliders on the car.

the bolt hole on the passenger side front door never lined up. So i left it.
The 6 bolts under the car, lined up and went in, the 4 bolts at the side went in.

I've battered the hell out of them, they have been rubbed off rocks, trees, various other bits of the scenery and with the door open, we hooked a Hi Lift up to the tree bar and lifted the full left side of the car up to change a wheel on a trail after a blowout.

I still feel the tree bar doesn't extend far enough out to properly protect the side, and act as a step.

But, i haven't changed them as i'm not spending £1000 for a set of Prospeed ones, when these were only £377.

StreetsofCompton

Adventurer
Hey Alan, thanks for the response. I know what you mean about the cost. Ive been searching and it seemed the lowest priced(DECENT) sliders I could find were $900. Most were 1100+. I stumbled on the TF's on Atlantic British's website last night for $499. Hell, even If I utterly destroy the first set, which I doubt, I'll buy a second pair and be at the same cost. Glad to hear you've beaten them up and theyre still going strong.

A.J.M

Explorer
For the cost, i would recommend them.

I've ran them hard, and they have been well used, but they have shown minimal signs of use, just some of the black coating on the underside of the tree sliders has gone.
Which i could touch up if i felt the need, but out of sight, out of mind.

The tops where i stand are unmarked, and they still sit straight on the car.

For the cost, i would recommend them.

I've ran them hard, and they have been well used, but they have shown minimal signs of use, just some of the black coating on the underside of the tree sliders has gone.
Which i could touch up if i felt the need, but out of sight, out of mind.

The tops where i stand are unmarked, and they still sit straight on the car.

I just put a set in my cart and waiting on my shipping quote to Hawaii for all my brake parts and steering parts. Might have to have those sliders sent to Cali and put on the shelf at my house there until I move back next year......haha

bernelnery

I was hesitant to buy this TF818 from a local Independent Land Rover parts, But it came out well on my 2006 LR3 HSE. The only caveat is that be ready to use jigsaw metal cutters. I had to trim the inside flap (Right Side Sliders) but nothing major. Lastly..when raising the slider using a jack, try putting the bolts on the bottom first loosely.. The outer holes should line up correctly. I'm not sure why some LR4 owners are having a problem with this. All holes line up 100% on mine.

TERRAFIRMA CUT.JPGTERRAFIRMA INSTALLED.JPG

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier