Expedition Motorcycles

dhackney

Expedition Leader
ChuckB said:
First someone's has to teach me how to ride though :bowdown:

Start here with an MSF course:
Motorcycle Safety Foundation These courses will get you license qualified and reduce your insurance costs.

Spend some time on the street, concentrate on back roads and rural areas to build up seat time. Work yourself up to an MSF Experienced Rider course.

The MSF path will teach you the basics on staying alive in a world of four wheeled vehicles.

For really learning the capabilities of motorcycles and yourself, these are good resources:

Street riding training:
Even if you plan to ride an LT or Gold Wing, it is an excellent idea to learn how a bike handles on the fringes of the friction circle, counter steering techniques, maximum braking, skid control, etc. Highly recommended if you plan to ride on the street.

Keith Code Superbike School

Reg Pridmore's CLASS moto school

Off Road training:
Nothing will make you a better rider than spending time in the dirt. Learning how a bike feels with both ends sliding, how to handle off camber climbs up goat trails, etc. are essential skills that will serve you well under any riding conditions on any road surface.

Danny Walker's American Supercamp This is an excellent experience that will teach you how to control a bike in a full opposite lock slide at race speeds. Excellent team of professional trainers along with guest racer-superstars that are fun to rub elbows with (in more ways than one).

Jimmy Lewis offroad riding school Jimmy is the real deal on the BMW GS line of bikes. Not just a pretender, he's a real off-road racer who is fully capable on any platform and magic on the big beast GS.

Scott Harden Off Road Scott is a world-class championship rally rider and runs the KTM USA marketing and racing programs. Based on real-world experience & techniques, this school is a great experience for anyone seeking real off-road rally, racing and adventure travel skills & capabilities.

Just for fun:
On One Wheel - wheelie school This school is well run, professional, uses quality gear and is a great way to have a fun day and pick up some riding skills along the way.

The most important thing is to invest in yourself before you invest in modifying the bike. Pay for professional training before you buy a single go-fast or must-have-do-dad for your bike.

Last edited:

ChuckB

Expedition Leader
Doug, I second that, thanks for the info!! I will definitely read up on it and take the courses when the time is right.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I have to concur that the MSF Basic Rider Course is almost mandatory for street survival. I would recommend that every beginning rider, or re-entry rider take the course.

-H-

ErrinV

Observer
Here's another class to consider. TRIALS!! I just took a class for the first time on Saturday and I'm hooked. Just concentrated on balancing and slow speed drills. I learned alot in a very short time and I feel like a much better rider after just a couple of hours.

Errin

lionsbreath

Adventurer
Wow I haven't been on the sight for a few month and I have missed it I have been all consumed with my new toy MY 06 klr have had it 2 month and have already put over 2k on it in fact I park my truck and drive it most of the time now. Big gas saver here in the phoenix area @ 55+ mpg and its' large 6.1gal tank. I am getting the bike built up for a 4k mile trip in july to Tn. and back.

jmeadows

Ursidae69 said:
I've been patiently waiting for the US version. Why the hell does the US have a different version DVD than the rest of the world anyway?? I'm almost ready to break down and buy the Pal format and watch it on my computer at work! Glad to hear you liked it, I'm really looking forward to it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned already, however NTSC (US and Canada) formats are available for this DVD, just not off the LWR website. Also allot of DVD players are compatible with both systems so if you have bought yours in the past year or 2 , double check.
For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Round-Ewan-Mcgregor/dp/B000BOH99A/sr=8-1/qid=1160446700/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4700190-3830402?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

Blair G

Adventurer
jmeadows said:
Not sure if this has been mentioned already, however NTSC (US and Canada) formats are available for this DVD, just not off the LWR website. Also allot of DVD players are compatible with both systems so if you have bought yours in the past year or 2 , double check.
For example:

http://www.amazon.com/Long-Way-Round-Ewan-Mcgregor/dp/B000BOH99A/sr=8-1/qid=1160446700/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-4700190-3830402?ie=UTF8&s=dvd

I got mine fairlly soon after the series aired. My DVD has both formats and I ordered my discs from the UK Amazon. Looked to be fun adventure both of them.
Blair ( Who's GSA is waiting for him in the garage)

S

Scenic WonderRunner

Hey......

I know this is way off topic.

But I just found the perfect little avatar thingy for you riders!

Here goes nuffin' ...............
ricky.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles