E350 conversion, popping out of 4x4 when going from D to R

java

Expedition Leader
Truck: 97 E350 gas, 4x4 conversion using F series parts (as far as i can tell)

Found a fun quirk this weekend. When I shift to 4x4, it goes in, drives fine, but when I shift from D to R, it seems to pop into neutral in the T case (towards 2wd i think). And if i go to shift back in, it grinds unless in P. I can then shift back into 4x4 and then into R and it stays in until I go back to D when it pops out again. Any ideas?!

mgmetalworks

Explorer
Is there something keeping the shift lever from going through its full range? Loose or bound up shift linkage? I would start there.

I just tore down a NV271 this weekend. They're pretty simple inside. If it isn't the linkage, it can only be the shift fork or the range selector... and since one of my forks was trashed beyond repair and the range selector was perfectly fine, I'd say you either have a linkage problem or a shift fork problem. Either way, it isn't getting all the way into gear.

java

Expedition Leader
Is there something keeping the shift lever from going through its full range? Loose or bound up shift linkage? I would start there.

I just tore down a NV271 this weekend. They're pretty simple inside. If it isn't the linkage, it can only be the shift fork or the range selector... and since one of my forks was trashed beyond repair and the range selector was perfectly fine, I'd say you either have a linkage problem or a shift fork problem. Either way, it isn't getting all the way into gear.

Thanks for the help, Ill crawl under and look at the linkage. It seems to shift fine, but maybe its going getting full shift throw. Its just weird that it drives fine as long as the drive train stays in D or R, just not going back and forth.

mgmetalworks

Explorer
As you're moving forward (or backwards) and you shift into 4wd, the gears are engaging but not all the way. They'll stay put for the most part because there's enough engagement friction to keep them there. Change directions, introduce some slack into the system and that friction goes away then "POP", no more engagement.

java

Expedition Leader
As you're moving forward (or backwards) and you shift into 4wd, the gears are engaging but not all the way. They'll stay put for the most part because there's enough engagement friction to keep them there. Change directions, introduce some slack into the system and that friction goes away then "POP", no more engagement.

Exactly. They will engaged when stopped also, its just the changing directions.

REALLY hoping its the linkage....

java

Expedition Leader
OK finally got some dry weather and climbed under the truck. I 'think' I see what was happening.... You push shifter down and move it towards the rear to shift into 4wd. I didn't see anything keeping it from moving far enough, but the shifter didn't pop back up, it looks a little crusty, and I think that was allowing it to creep back out of gear, since it wasn't retained in the correct spot. Now trying to go into 4lo, there isn't enough clearance on the shifter to allow it to go all the way. (again i think, i have no experience with ford parts)

OK apologize for the terrible pic, but it was the best one that showed all the positions. Am i correct here? Is 4 low after the long drop piece past the 4x4 section? when I shifted the first time to 4x4 and crawled under, the shifter was just past the raised section between 2wd and 4x4, but not popped back up into the 4x4 section.

20140312_164215 by Java_230, on Flickr

In 4x4 (after i pulled up on the shifter. I rolled back and forth in my driveway and it stayed in gear (hopefully that was the problem!!)

Untitled by Java_230, on Flickr

Not enough shifter throw for 4 low. That can be fixed!

Untitled by Java_230, on Flickr

bknudtsen

Expedition Leader
That doesn't look like my shifter setup, so I can't say for sure, but if the shifter isn't returning up into the detent due to corrosion, then that would be a good suspect. Do you have a GoPro that you can stick up under there to film it? Maybe a small friend with courage?

java

Expedition Leader
That doesn't look like my shifter setup, so I can't say for sure, but if the shifter isn't returning up into the detent due to corrosion, then that would be a good suspect. Do you have a GoPro that you can stick up under there to film it? Maybe a small friend with courage?

HA ill have my wife lay down there! :D Yeah I noticed it didn't look like yours. Im hoping it was the shifter not poping up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior