Converted 4 horse trailer?

samthomp85

Hey,
I am thinking about buying an old 4 horse trailer and converting it into a pull behind camper. It will have all the amenities of a regular camper plus a wood stove for warmth. I have decided on a horse trailer due to how inexpensive they are and having the frame already there. Does anyone have any comment on this or see any reason why not to go forth with it? Has anyone seen one done?

skersfan

Supporting Sponsor
Plus, nasty subject, but the urine on the frame over years, does damage. It will take some serious sandblasting most likely. Mom may never like it if she smells it before you start. These are normally made with channel, thick channel, built low to the ground, and as Mark says, very, very heavy for what they are. Of course they are transporting moving weight, but not something you will be doing. With the money you will be putting into the camping side of it, might be easier to build your own, the way you want it. Then it may not have been used much and is a steal. Good luck.

quickfarms

Adventurer
A four horse trailer will probably have a GVW over 10,000 lbs. You will need a large truck and a class a license to legally tow it. The cops base it on the tag on the trailer and it is illegal to remove or alter the tag. You may be able to get the trailer reclassified but you will have to get the manufacturer to issue a new tag, then you will have to deal with the DMV.

java

Expedition Leader
I looked into it. As stated they are cheap for a reason. Most have OK headroom. But they STINK. and are very very heavy. I ruled it out pretty quick in my search for a trailer.

fowldarr

Explorer
I almost went that way. Mainly because I had a two horse lined up for cheap from my dad. At the end of the day it wasnt going to suit my needs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior