What do you consider to be the best cookware kit?

spressomon

Expedition Leader
MuddyMudskipper said:
I use the thin foam that the cook set came with. It prevents scratches, no noise, and everything packs away snug (the small pot in the center stays in the center).

Thanks! A couple more questions: Is the gauge of the aluminum thicker as a home use type cookset would be or is it thinner more akin to a backpackers cookset weight? And do you have just the one, which looks like a multi-purpose lid or do you have a couple lids for the pots/pans?

MuddyMudskipper

Camp Ninja
spressomon said:
Thanks! A couple more questions: Is the gauge of the aluminum thicker as a home use type cookset would be or is it thinner more akin to a backpackers cookset weight? And do you have just the one, which looks like a multi-purpose lid or do you have a couple lids for the pots/pans?

The aluminum is a thinner gauge than a regular household cookset and very lightweight. The TFal set is a 1/16" thick and the RR pots and pans I have are 1/8" thick. There is one lid for the the 22 cm frying pan and 22 cm Dutch oven but I'll use one of the other smaller frying pans if I need a lid for the smaller saucepan or vice versa.

These are the specs:

Frypan 22 cm

Frypan 16 cm

Saucepan 14 cm (1L)

Saucepan 20 cm (3L)

Dutch Oven 22 cm (4L)

Strainer Cover 22 cm

Attachments

• DSCN3422.jpg
    DSCN3422.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 160

DesertRose

Safari Chick & Supporting Sponsor
expeditionswest said:
I am sold on the Snow Peak Field Cooker. Even a strainer for pasta...

CS-021.jpg

I second that. I love to cook, and at home use a combination of old seasoned cast iron, Le Creuset, and Calphalon . . . but needed something a little more portable and easy to clean for our camping kit.

Used to use Tfal, but I'm really concerned about silverstone and ingesting that stuff . . . we got the Snow Peak set and it's incredible. Heavy enough for good heat, easy to clean, and it nests beautifully.

We have a full set of the Snow Peak titanium plates/utensils/mugs, and everything - including the Snow Peak GigaPower stove - fits into the cookware and it has a nice net bag.

I think Expedition Exchange has them (http://www.expeditionexchange.com)

I like that T-fal,....but what is Silverstone?

http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/tl_tfalsets.html <this is what I found on TFAL.> and this is what it says on that page> NOTICE: TFAL has discontinued this product for 2007. Please check out the other non-stick camping cookware sets we carry from leaders like Primus & GSI. The HAE sets from GSI would be considered superior to TFAL, while similar in price.

this is the next best thing, kinda pricy, > http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/gs_hae_50107_7pc.php
gs_ha_7pc_50107d.jpg

Last edited:

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
The hard-anodized GSI nesting cookset is what I mostly use, plus a large frying pan. I much prefer cooking on the HA aluminum over SS. My trailer came with the same GSI cookset in stainless, but after a couple trips of struggling with cleaning and hot spots, joined the huge scrap heap of retired camping cookware. I also pack the GSI HA wok and pressure cooker.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Green Ganesha said:
The hard-anodized GSI nesting cookset is what I mostly use, plus a large frying pan. I much prefer cooking on the HA aluminum over SS. My trailer came with the same GSI cookset in stainless, but after a couple trips of struggling with cleaning and hot spots, joined the huge scrap heap of retired camping cookware. I also pack the GSI HA wok and pressure cooker.

Thanks Trevor, pretty much the info I was looking for.

;)

mag232

where do you buy the t-fal bivouac?

MuddyMudskipper said:
I use the T-Fal Bivuoac 5 piece cook set. the set is aluminum, teflon coated, and lightweight. The pots and pans have a special "something" on the bottom which evenly distributes the heat from camp stoves. The lid snaps on the large pot and frying pan and can be used to strain or pour. The pots and pans pack inside themselves and the set comes with a potholder. I have had this set for a couple of years and it is awesome. I bring a medium sized teapot to boil water for coffee, cocoa, or tea. I bring reusable lexan plates (similar to the ones in your link), plastic cups, and chow kit flatware. I have multi-spice and multi-grill canisters for seasoning my grub. I also have an aluminum teflon coated griddle that I put over the burners of my stove for breakfast chores. If I know I am going to cook meat over coals I bring a camp grill instead of a BBQ box.

I typically don't use disposable plates, flatware, and cups because if I'm going to have to wash pots and pans, plates and cups aren't much more work. Plus by doing so I make less trash therefore have to carry less trash. I also have a good sized bottle of camp soap which is biodegradable and can be used for dishes, hands, body, and hair.

this looks like a good setup!

nwoods

Expedition Leader
I couldn't find the T-Fal set either. Amazon and Target both carry quite a bit of their products, but not that set. Not even on T-Fal's website. I wonder if it's been discontinued?

Couldn't find it on eBay either :-(

Last edited:

sinuhexavier

Explorer
There really is no finer than Snowpeak...

2050814067_fe52a67563_o.jpg

Steve Rupp cooking up dinner deep in Canyonlands National Park

2051598922_409e59290e_o.jpg

Goat Cheese and Arugula with Pine Nuts Salad

2051600016_4a91bf70f0_o.jpg

Stephanie preps the ingredients to a dutch oven masterpiece

2051600258_a2ca5b2b84.jpg

Have to have the dutch ovens as well...

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
nwoods said:
I couldn't find the T-Fal set either. Amazon and Target both carry quite a bit of their products, but not that set. Not even on T-Fal's website. I wonder if it's been discontinued?

Couldn't find it on eBay either :-(

It can be found across the pond.

:sombrero:

the dude

Adventurer
We just picked up the GSI HA set and love it compared to my MSR SS. We have only cooked on it once but I doubt we will ever go back to SS. We have the four nesting pots and the wok. I have never used a pressure cooker...we might have to give that a try.

I would like to find a pasta strainer for the GSI set.

Green Ganesha said:

Green Ganesha

Adventurer
the dude said:
I would like to find a pasta strainer for the GSI set.
Ditto that. A nesting collander would be perfect.

GSI does make a perforated-lid strainer, but it's some kind of plastic. You have to buy pots from one of their other (non-HA Extreme) lines to get it.

ONCO_D2.jpg

I'm trying to figure out if any of the lid-strainer sizes match any of the HA Extreme pot sizes....

the dude

Adventurer
I sent GSI a note this morning asking about a nesting colander. I also asked if any of the other lids would fit the HA set. And if they are available individually. We'll see what they have to say when they get back to me.

It might be worth it for you to shoot them an e-mail as well. The more inquires they get about a new product, the more likely they are to offer it. There contact info is on their sight at:

http://www.gsioutdoors.com/

Green Ganesha said:
Ditto that. A nesting collander would be perfect.

I'm trying to figure out if any of the lid-strainer sizes match any of the HA Extreme pot sizes....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles