Twitchy ignition revisited, 1989 Montero 3.0 L

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Hello everybody,
It's nice to be back on the posting forms once again. I wanted to post on the forums and let everybody know what I'm working on. I'm in the process of finalizing my reinstallation of the engine into my raider. For the past several years I've noticed that my reader has a twitchy ignition. That is to say that the starter doesn't actually start until two or three terms of the key.

After doing a bit of research here on these forums I ran into an interesting topic, read below. Twitchy ignition, not the Starter? This posting thread describes very accurately what I've been experiencing. It also did a good job of leading me to a relay solution that I will be implementing. In that "Twitchy" thread there is a link to another Mitsubishi posting forum that describes the solution perfectly. For more information read the following thread. 100% Guarantee click click click

I will be using the basis of that thread along with the following image as my project for this new relay switch. I just returned from NAPA auto parts with all of the necessary equipment. After noon today I will go ahead and attempt to create my new relay switch.

Once I get all I figured out I will go ahead and post my results here on the forum later this afternoon. I'll talk to guys soon.

relay-diagram-final.jpg

Jay Ayala

Explorer
WOW!!!
What a difference. First of all, this worked like a charm. The added benefit is that I had several electrical issues that were all related. This cured all of those issues.
  • Dashboard lights were dim.
  • Headlights would not turn on emmidiately, it would take several flips of the switch.
  • Windshield wipers were sloooooow!
  • Strater clicked!

Here are some images.

This is a picture of the wire harness I fabricated. It's about 4'-6".
8.jpg

This is a picture of the temporary placement. In the center, bottom of the picture, you can see the relay itself and it is connected to the positive and negative terminals of the battery.
6.jpg

Here is a close up of the positive and negative connections.
5.jpg

This is where I routed the wire harness. The color combination is completely coincidental. The 10 gauge, blue wire is the positive output from the relay to the starter solenoid. The smaller, 16 gauge, yellow wire is used to connect the factory starter solenoid wire to the relay.
3.jpg

From below the vehicle looking up at the starter. You can see the new connections to my custom wire harness.
1.jpg

Last edited:

Jay Ayala

Explorer
I wanted to post a few updates on this. It's been over a year since performing this little job and I'm happy to report that the Raider starts without any hesitations. The introduction of this relay for my starter was exactly the right solution. No more Click-Click-Click.

About a week after originally posting this back in Summer of 2013 I realized that some of the other things in that list were simply a coincidence. I'll cover them now.

• Dashboard lights - as it turns out, I was fooled by my then three-yearl-old daughter playing with the dimmer.
  • Headlights - there was a severely corroded wire under the steering column cladding that I've science repaired.
  • Windshield Wipers - the motor needed to be cleaned and linkage serviced, that is done now too.
  • Starter - the new relay fixed this issue 100% but only this issue, not as stated in my previous reply to this thread

That was my mistake guys. I thought that this relay had solved a bunch of other things at the same time, but that was not the case. After thinking about this thoroughly, I will chalk it up to being out of the Raider game and not having driven it for the previous four years. My poor Raider was in a state of disassembly and neglect during that time. It was parked in my garage with parts and bolts all over the place. So I think I misjudged a lot of things during my time of reacquaintance with my Raider.

BOPOH

Explorer
Jay you disappoint me!

just kidding, when i do research i always look for your write ups because you go into great details with tons of pictures

Jay Ayala

Explorer
Jay you disappoint me!

just kidding, when i do research i always look for your write ups because you go into great details with tons of pictures

BOPH,
You are so funny bro! You just made my day!!! I've said this before on other threads. I'm going to forget all this **** that I do to the Raider. I know I will never be able to retain all the little nuances that I do with my Raider. So I try to keep up with it by posting pictures of my projects and try to explain it to myself more than anyone. But you guys on ExPo and 4x4wire could also use this information as well. So in the end, it all adds to the knowledge pool. Unfortunately its all stuff for Gen I. Some of this will apply to Gen II but not all of it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94