LR3 owners sound off, which tires?

I've seen a lot of different tire combos floating around and was interested to see everyones set up and the pros and cons. Especially interested in seeing what you are all running on the 10spoke LR3 wheels w/out lifts.

Mack73

Adventurer
if you don't want a lift a 265/65/18 or 31.5" tire is going to be the largest you can run.

Depending on your use, the BFG AT is a pretty damn good choice for running on the street and trail. Mine did great on the street and pretty good in the PNW's trails.

I've since switched to 17" and put on BFG MT KM2's. noticeably worse on the street, but very nice off road

JackW

Explorer
Cooper Zeon 285R60/18 tires on 10-spoke rims - no signs of rubbing and almost no road noise - BFG AT's don't work very well in mud and Georgia has plenty of red clay that turns the BFG's into slicks

JimBiram

Adventurer
On my 3rd set of Coopers on 6 spoke wheels. Love them on and off road. Only bad time was some slick mud in Colorado in a hail storm that lost traction.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

zelatore

Explorer
275/65-18 Goodyear Duratracs. I did have minor rubbing with the wheels at full lock at stock height and did a little judicious trimming. Also had to re-route the rear wheel well heater hoses so I could then trim the body flange under the inner fender liner. Well, actually I probably could have skipped that but it was annoying to hear it rub under cornering. I don't think it would have caused any damage, just made noise.
I went with the Duratrac over more popular BFG AT largely because I knew I would play in the snow. Running in the snow a few weeks ago with other LR3/4s on BFGs, I seemed to have an easier time of it than they did. Saturday I'll get to do some side-by-side comparing with those same guys in the mud. I again expect to have a slight edge. Decent in the rain or dry on pavement but again noticeably not a street tire.
Noise is noticeable but not bad at all. Of course the on-road handling is compromised vs the stock 19s, but there's no way around that with the taller sidewalls. I'd say they are about as aggressive as I would go for a daily driver or long haul highway rig. More so than most of the AT tires, but not over the top like the true mud terrains. Over all, easy to live with on the highway and off-road. The only complaint I've heard (but have yet to experience myself) is of soft sidewalls that are easily damaged in the rocks. I'm not sure if that applies as much to my E-load tires as the D-load versions (?).

Ray_G

Explorer
285/60 Nitto Terra Grapplers. Only on for a month but have done extremely well in the conditions NOVA has experienced of late. Only pic I have of them on is this:
Iwo Jima_15 Feb.jpg
But as alluded to, they've handled all this very well:
Cville.jpg66_pm.jpg

In terms of stance I love them. Road noise is a little worse but nothing significant by any stretch. No issues with just being stock height at all (I did not want to go rods).
r-
Ray

Colin Hughes

Explorer
If I don't find a good deal on some 18" ten spokes before spring, I'll be putting Cooper Zeon's on my 19" rims. If I find 18" rims, I'll likely go with the Cooper too.

Eniam17

Adventurer
I just got the toyo open country at2's put on. 265/65/18. They are excellent on the road; quietest at tire I have ever owned compared to bfg , procomp, grabber at2. They are very good in snow as well. Haven't off-roaded with them yet but I like the tread pattern a lot. Tough to beat 65k tread life warranty too.

Mack73

Adventurer
Cooper Zeon 285R60/18 tires on 10-spoke rims - no signs of rubbing and almost no road noise - BFG AT's don't work very well in mud and Georgia has plenty of red clay that turns the BFG's into slicks

Do you find the Zeon's better than the BFG AT's in the red clay mud? Figured you need to go to a full Mud tire to get any sort of cleanout.

mpinco

Expedition Leader
Cooper Tires acquired Mickey Thompons/******** Cepek and design teams several years ago. Apparently the Cooper A/T3 was their first project and is receiving excellent reviews. Coopers own web site positions the A/T3 as a superior off-road/snow tire to the Zeon, which is more of a Sport SUV tire targeted at pavement.

If you need load range E selection becomes less at 31.5, limited to BFG or GG AT2's

A.J.M

Explorer
I have Duratrac's on 19s.
I have used them on all terrains bar sand, no issues but i have tore the sidewall on a rock, which couldn't be fixed.
I have found as they wear, the deep mud ability does go down a bit, but nothing terrible.

They have proved great in the snow, on wet roads. The road noise is minimal over normal tyres and the fuel economy did drop on mine by 3 mpg.

I have found my own set are shocking on wear rates though. I will need to bin them by 23k as they will be at 3/4mm by then. Which compared to the GG AT which on friends D3's have lasted 40k+ is very annoying.

nwoods

Expedition Leader
Here is a good article on tires for the LR3, the comments have a lot of good info also:
http://lr3tips.wordpress.com/2007031446-2/

I like the Cooper Zeon's as well:
tire-mojave.jpg

jerdog53

Explorer
I have been searching all over the intraweb for the last 3 months trying to come up with a reasonable tire fit for my needs. I want a smaller diameter MT or aggressive AT tire for these stock 18" Landy wheels.

Basically All I have got is the Toyo Open country AT2s and the Cooper Disco AT3s in either the 265/65R18s or the 255/70R18

What I really want is the TOCAT2 in the extreme tread pattern in the 255/70R18 but they don't make them that small.

I would like a smaller diameter 32 or less and narrow as I don't want to deal with wheel spacers of trimming anything.

I have emailed BFG, GY and Toyo about building smaller MT aggressive tires for our trucks and their response is sorry we don't make any. I know you don't how about making some!

zelatore

Explorer
I have been searching all over the intraweb for the last 3 months trying to come up with a reasonable tire fit for my needs. I want a smaller diameter MT or aggressive AT tire for these stock 18" Landy wheels.

Basically All I have got is the Toyo Open country AT2s and the Cooper Disco AT3s in either the 265/65R18s or the 255/70R18

What I really want is the TOCAT2 in the extreme tread pattern in the 255/70R18 but they don't make them that small.

I would like a smaller diameter 32 or less and narrow as I don't want to deal with wheel spacers of trimming anything.

I have emailed BFG, GY and Toyo about building smaller MT aggressive tires for our trucks and their response is sorry we don't make any. I know you don't how about making some!

Sounds like you just described the Duratracs to a T. They measured out right at 32" installed on stock 10-spoke 18s. Most consider them either a mild MT or aggressive AT.

Eniam17

Adventurer
What's wrong with a good a/t tire? In a 31" tire the difference between at or mt likely won't be a limiting factor on a vehicle like the lr3.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles