My Junk

Rob in MT

I think I saw a video somewhere from Hallmark where they somewhat discouraged the North/South sleeping arrangement. I was looking into it, especially with the extra storage.

Kowboy

Adventurer
How do you reckon it'd function for 2 full-timers?

Be real cozy for sure. I mean REAL cozy. Queen size bed can certainly sleep two. Dinette can certainly seat two. Other than that tho the movements inside would have to be as well choreographed as a synchronized swim team. Or y'all gonna be bumpin' into each other like sumo wrestlers. In a perfect world tho ... and barrin' foul weather ... the intent is to be outside anyhow. All kinds of room outside the camper.

I'd probably completely take out the back seat of the truck to make for additional long term storage in the rig (and maybe a small snack fridge).

I done yanked the lil' back seat outta mine as well. Great storage for camp chair, tools, recovery gear, chain saw, etc. Was intendin' to put my ARB fridge back there but was very pleasantly surprised how much room is in the camper fridge so I never put the ARB in there. Leaves more room.

20140110_A_no back seat.jpg

Took 'er for a spin and the road/wind noise was unreal. Thinkin' maybe the camper funnels the wind down behind the cab and blows into them lil' vent thangs?? Or somethin'. So I put the back part of the seat back in. Looks nicer and now nice and quiet again. Strange but true.

20140110_B_no back seat.jpg

I took the camper jacks off the four corners and wrapped them in a coupla U-Haul movin' blankets. They lay down perfect on the lower level in the backseat area and make for a nice level platform for my junk. Ain't got no pics of that.

I think I saw a video somewhere from Hallmark where they somewhat discouraged the North/South sleeping arrangement. I was looking into it, especially with the extra storage.

I know they were hesitant to do the initial design but as far as I know they're quite pleased with the results.

One of the great thangs 'bout buyin' a Hallmark is the orderin' process. I spent a whole day tourin' the fact'ry with Mr. Bill Ward and describin' what I was lookin' for and how I was gonna use it. Man's been doin' it for a really long time. He liked some of my ideas and I liked some of his. And we debated alot of others. Right down to the smallest detail. What a fun day! And by the end of it, we had reached a thorough agreement on what this here particular camper should be. Then they built it to perfection. Sure might not be perfect for ev'ryone else ... or maybe even anyone else ... but it's dead-on, spot perfect for me.

Overland Hadley

on a journey
One of the great thangs 'bout buyin' a Hallmark is the orderin' process. I spent a whole day tourin' the fact'ry with Mr. Bill Ward and describin' what I was lookin' for and how I was gonna use it. Man's been doin' it for a really long time. He liked some of my ideas and I liked some of his. And we debated alot of others. Right down to the smallest detail. What a fun day! And by the end of it, we had reached a thorough agreement on what this here particular camper should be. Then they built it to perfection. Sure might not be perfect for ev'ryone else ... or maybe even anyone else ... but it's dead-on, spot perfect for me.

That sounds like a fun buying process, and one the resulted in a camper that fit your needs but was also taking into account Hallmarks expertise in making campers.

Kowboy

Adventurer
... but was also taking into account Hallmarks expertise in making campers.

Indeed sir. In addition to pickin' the brain of Mr. Ward, I spent time talkin' to the various fellas in the shop that actu'ly make the thangs. For example the cabinet maker. He seemed like a darn-fine fella to ask what kinda wood I should use for the cabinets. His advice is why I got the sexy bamboo in there. All the employees are long-term and were very friendly when they was answerin' my millions of stupid questions.

Kowboy can I ask what you spent on that fine humble home?

After readin' your thread with your price and then all the issues ya got ... I'm almost afraid to tell ya sir.

But since ya asked ... I'm in for $31k. That includes 11 hun'erd bucks for the yacht escape hatch that came from one of them lil' countries over in Europe somewheres and 12 hun'erd bucks for the sweet solar system.

This pic taken in The Valley Of Fire State Park in southern Nevada shows the roof with the hatch over the bunk and the two, long, solar-panel strips. A low profile rooftop that can take abuse from occasional kisses from tree branches was one of my many design goals.

1.jpg

The price quote from Phoenix to build a similar unit for this same truck was 'bout $27k. Words cannot describe how happy I am that I canceled that order and spent the extra 4 grand to get what I got. The craftsmanship is outstandin'.

Last edited:

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
Hey Kowboy, I'd take yer junk anyday. Anyway, you don't know junk til you've seen my Jeep Junk. Come up to Ideehoo one of these days and I'll show ya around.

Kowboy

Adventurer
Hey Kowboy, I'd take yer junk anyday. Anyway, you don't know junk til you've seen my Jeep Junk. Come up to Ideehoo one of these days and I'll show ya around.

Thanks Brother. Got no doubt I'll be up that way some day.

Ain't nuthin' wrong with Jeep Junk. Done had me some of that too thru the years.

Bought this lil' one right off the showroom floor. Named 'er "Rubi".

new.jpg

One thang all my junk's got in common ... ain't none of it stays stock for long.

Done.jpg

No room for no gear tho. So bought me one of them lil' army trailers. Named 'er "Kamper"

stock.jpg

Which didn't stay stock long neither.

20081003_2.jpg

20081003_3.jpg

Rubi and 'er Kamper made a nice lookin' pair.

20081016 Grey Rock.jpg

20090726_1_morning in camp.jpg

But totin' around a trailer on the trails sucks. And Rubi's engine only had 6 cylinders and they was all in a row. Man's got to have some power.

So I bought and built "Brutus"

Hemi on tons and 40's.

20100318_1 sandbar.jpg

20100318_2 sandbar.jpg

Was gonna make 'er into a campin' rig but sold 'er off instead.

rotti

Adventurer
......and the two, long, solar-panel strips. A low profile rooftop that can take abuse from occasional kisses from tree branches was one of my many design goals.

I am interested in those solar panels....care to share a review and/or links?
Looks to be a nice, light, low profile solution.

grogie

Like to Camp

Thanks! I read it all and enjoyed your trips. I actually oversee several editors that are all about AP style, so what you wrote was refreshing! Cool truck too and I almost joined that forum just to see your pictures.

It is amazing about air travel (and about the only reason I'll agree to it) is how a guy can be in one lousy place and in a few hours be somewhere else and completely happy. If only the airports weren't like a bus station, or a slaughter house. :)

IdahoXJ

IdahoXJ
Holy $**t, Kowboy, you have owned some serious rigs!! The Wrangler and trailer combo was second to none and the Brutus was sweet. I would be embarrassed for you to see my rock-rashed old XJ. :drool:

Kowboy

Adventurer
I am interested in those solar panels....care to share a review and/or links?
Looks to be a nice, light, low profile solution.

They seem to work great as long as the sun's shinin'. Mr. Ward was big on these. Said he had them rolled out as floormats at the Expo last year and had hun'erds of folks trompin' on 'em so he could test the durability. I like 'em a whole lot better than traditional panels. I'm sure I got paperwork on 'em in the big, honkin' owner's manual they give me ... but that's out in the camper so ain't got no details now. I'll look it up for ya next time I see my junk. If you need info sooner, I'm sure Mr. Ward could rattle off the details.

... what you wrote was refreshing!

Thank you sir.

Holy $**t, Kowboy, you have owned some serious rigs!!

Ain't nuthin wrong with rock rash neither. I said none of my junk's ever been stock ... didn't say it was all pretty tho. I beat the hell outta my ole' Cruiser for 17 years.

cruiser_jumpin' SNT.JPG

cruiser_ICBM05.JPG

cruiser_FlatNasty06.jpg

cruiser_Katemcy08.JPG

Nice camper indeed! Is the compressor fridge near silent? I read different reviews!

Thank you sir. It's a Nova Kool unit. I can honestly say I've never noticed any noise comin' from it at all. I was amazed how much room it's got. I can chunk 2 cases of Coors Original cans in there and still have some room for a lil' bologna. Beer's so dang cold it hurts the throat to chug it. But the pain just makes me tougher.

jason77

Adventurer
When're you gonna update that thread on mud? I've read the whole thing, and need some good reading/dreaming material for the 5 weeks I'm about to spend on a boat in the gulf.

subterran

Adventurer
OK, I'm a southern feller...
Them there solar panels look like ones made by Unisolar. Comes in two sizes, and just sticks on like a fat bumpersticker, 'cept there's no snarky sayin's. I just got done putting the smaller one (68 watt) on my own junker last week, and a morningstar controller. Here's where a feller can buy one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Uni-Solar-P...347?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c3d5cd913

image.jpg

I enjoy a-readin' about yer exploits, Kowboy. You sound like a cool feller, and you'd be welcome 'round my fire anytime if you'ns ever find yourself lost down south.

Kowboy

Adventurer
When're you gonna update that thread on mud?

Ain't sure sir. Been focusin' lately on small-town bars and bartenders. An adventure of another nature all together.

... and a morningstar controller.

... and you'd be welcome 'round my fire anytime ...

I do know my controller is from Blue Sky Energy.

... and thanks for the invite.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94