My Junk

Overland Hadley

on a journey
I'm use to having to use tarps (here in the PNW, us Blue Tarp campers bring our blue sky's with us). I usually don't get too excited about tarps but some we used on a river raft trip through central AK made me notice. The fabric is silicone impregnated/coated so they have some stretch and can stand a small campfire under them. We tied 1 edge to some trees then long branches as uprights for the other corners and tied off to coolers, instant shelter. They for High Dollar mountaineering folk so they are very proud of them, about $200 for 10x10.

Do you have a link for the tarps you are talking about?

Just Jeff

Observer
Just search for "silnylon tarp" and you'll find lots of them on hiking sites. You'll see them rated by ounces per square yard - usually either 1.1 or 1.9 - and the finished tarp will weigh 12-18 ounces depending on size, with a few of the big ones being heavier. That light weight is why they're so great for hiking, and they pack down really small. I'd recommend staying away from anything with grommets in it b/c they'll rip out pretty easily. I'd also keep them away from fires b/c they melt easily...rising cinders too small to see will put pinholes in them.

A really heavy rain can actually mist through the tarp, but it's not a big deal...plenty of people (like me) depend on them as their only rain protection on backcountry hikes. Most AT hikers use sil shelters.

Camelfilter

Explorer
I've had this 10 ft. x 12 ft. Ultralight Backpacking Tarp for years. I bought it over at Hiltons Tent City in Boston a long time ago, was pricey back then. Still seems a bunch for a Tarp, but that sylnylon is nifty.

In fact I went looking for it a couple weeks ago & couldn't find the darned thing...had to resort to a blue crinkly tarp (I hate using those darned things in camp).

Anyways it's a good tarp, huge for Solo hiking, great for a group. Handy to use around a basecamp as an awning or to cover over a picnic table.

Kowboy

Adventurer
Meanwhile ... back to our reg'larly scheduled programmin' ...

The awnings seem to be one of those things that are great, until they aren't. Nice and simple, and come in real handy (shade, rain, etc) but they have the potential to be fragile with any wind. Was the problems with yours from how the bracket was attached to the camper, or how the awning attaches to the bracket?

The first time a dirt devil ripped the unit right off the camper. Took the rear bracket with it and bent the hell outta the center bracket. Currently, the awnin' is tryin' to come outta the rear bracket.

I've come to the conclusion that it's just for shade on a calm day.

COBlue

Hey Kowboy!
I see your your junk is in CB. I'm up on Washington gulch road with my Milner if you're looking for a cold beer.

Kowboy

Adventurer
It was a pleasure to meet ya sir!

It's really cool to bump into folks out on the trails that recognize my junk.

Have to take a raincheck on the beer. :beer:

Kowboy

Adventurer
Not sure why, but for some reason decided to check in on this here forum again. Strange to see how long it's been. Reckon life's funny that way.

Done got sidetracked and settled down a bit in Cheyenne while my jeep project was bein' built. Got carried away and took a helluva lot longer than I had figured. Jeep's 'bout done now tho and I'm tired of payin' rent so reckon gonna fire up the ol' truck and camper again come springtime. Camper's been sittin' in a barn for a few years but well protected and I'm sure ready to go again. Truck's comin' up on 100k but still runs plenty strong. Added some dents and scratches but she's still solid. 37's are showin' some age so movin' up to 40's. Truck and camper are gonna be more of a tow rig/base camp rig now but the plan is to still be able to get away from the masses to camp ... with the jeep in tow to do the brunt of the explorin'. Still need to buy me an aluminum deckover trailer to haul the jeep on.

20160714_1_small.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz