Building homemade truck bed camper for my chevy colorado

digitaldelay

Explorer
Very cool build! I'm interested to see how this turns out.

Side note - I had a 2wd Sonoma (with the Z85-Smooth-Ride option). Max payload was supposed to be over 1200 lbs. The most I ever put in was 600 lbs. and the roll pan was almost touching the ground :Wow1:.

Worst case, you could throw a set of coilover shocks on the back to level things out.

Jason

Alexleno

AlexLeno
have had over seventeen hundred pounds in the back of my truck and it still didn't touch the bump stops that being said I do have an add a leave in the rear older Sonoma's and s10s without z71 did sag enormous amounts

Sent from my C6522N using Tapatalk

Alexleno

AlexLeno
ra3ezute.jpg

amevubu3.jpg

I am doing some priming on surfaces that I know will be exposed when the sides are done

geckoadventure

Geckoadventure
View attachment 213593

It weighs 110 pounds as it sits now

Looks good but I think this is going to get heavy really quick any reason not to use alloy etc? I guess your going to say your a capenter by trade? It will affect the handling which may be ok on the highway but could get hairy if you venture off the blacktop. But im going to subscribe to the build and watch with interest.

Too keep weight down alloy siding (1mmalloy 1mm plastic/nylon 1mm ) alloy skin instead?

crazyeyez

Crazy EyeZ
interesting build. you on 355Nation.net? what you running with the engine to get that kind of power out of the 4?

Alexleno

AlexLeno
volant cold air intake, PCM tune, Resonator Delete, Gutted Manifold Cat, Corvette Servos, SuperMod Ported Throttle Body, Electric Fan

Jfet

Adventurer
Nice build. I think will be pretty light as our camper build is steel frame and right now is under 2500 pounds dry (but not finished with the interior).

I would think about using aluminum for the siding and roof. It worked quite well for us and will hold up nicely against weather compared to painted wood.

I bought a coil of 0.050" 8'6" x 23 foot long aluminum from a local tractor trailer supply company for about $300...that was enough for my roof but would probably be enough to cover your entire camper sides and roof.

Fairly cheap insulation would be the R-max polyisocyanurate 1" and 2" thick 4x8 sheets they sell at Home Depot. It has a very high R factor and will add strength to the walls when you cut to fit (with a jigsaw is easy) between the studs.

Good luck!

Alexleno

AlexLeno
6apava3a.jpg

zu4yraby.jpg

Had some old paint in the basement let the neighborhood kids paint on it for fun

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94