Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society
Yes - once we finish the trip report, we will make the photo book.

Although, I still need to make a photo book from last year's Wyoming trip.........
I've been to Wyoming. I live vicariously through your photos for the places I haven't been...

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
What box did you choose? This is something I have been thinking a lot about.

I went with a Better Build 62012329 Crown Series Chest Tool Box. (I found it on Amazon.)

I wanted the perpendicular sides (as opposed to trapezoidal) so that I could easily mount the gas cans on each side. There is also a fancier model of the same box for about $20 more, but I didn't think I needed any of those additional features.

I will say, it is much handier than I thought it would be. Aside from jack and wheel chock storage, the box is a great place to store garbage - it keeps the aroma out of the back of the truck! And, it is a convenient table top.

The box is made out of thin aluminum, so I will be re-enforcing the mounting points when I build the carrier/mount for the Bulldog jacks.

tb1.jpg

tb2.jpg

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
2015 Summary

Another year of camping in the teardrop.

No problems to mention, but I have not added the additional lighting yet. I did change the brake drums to match the new tow rig, and added new wheels, tires and wheel bearings.

Total nights slept in - 27
Total mileage towed (approximate) - 6579

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Shore Power

In our travels, we sometimes stay in established campgrounds. Not by choice of destination, rather on the way to said destination. We much prefer staying in the teardrop as opposed to a hotel while on the road.

In most established campgrounds, we can't park on the tent sites, since we have wheels on the trailer. (The tenters have wheels on their cars, too, but I digress...) The spots we end up in have power. So I got to thinking...

While I do not have a separate battery on the trailer to power the lights and fan (the refrigerator stays in the truck) I am able to power the trailer off the truck's power when parked. Running some lights for while is fine, but I do not to run the fan all night off the battery.

I decided to take advantage of the opportunity presented - power the trailer from camp!

By using a 110V to 12V power converter, I can take external (shore) power, convert to 12V, and feed it into the trailer. Simple.

The tongue box seemed to be the perfect place to mount the power input and converter. I also decided to add a receptacle (110V) to the circuit, to allow for charging of devices and whatnot, in the security (dry and lockable) of the box.

I collected the parts:

p1.jpg

I built a panel to mount all the components to.

p2.jpg

The panel mounted to the inside of the tongue box.

p3.jpg

The end result

p4.jpg

With this setup, I now have 3 ways to get 12V power to the trailer - the 7-pin connector, the external power connector, and a 110V source.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
2016 Summary

Another year of camping in the teardrop.

No problems to mention, but I still have not added the additional lighting yet.

Total nights slept in - 30
Total mileage towed (approximate) - 8280

This is a great build and the trailer looks amazing. My wife and I will be picking up a Little Guy in the near future and will definitely use this thread as inspiration.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
This is a great build and the trailer looks amazing. My wife and I will be picking up a Little Guy in the near future and will definitely use this thread as inspiration.

Thank you for the compliment. I hope my work gives you some ideas.

cneithardt

Awesome build. I am designing one to build from scratch. I love all the cabinet details in the galley.. might have to borrow a few of them :elkgrin:

Happy travels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles