Scott B.'s Little Guy Offroad Teardrop Build

Not at all - in fact, I prefer it. I am 6'2", and I really hate low counter tops.
Ah! I'm just worried about my 5'4" wife as she's the one who enjoys cooking while camping. We were going to get the Rough Rider but we really like the kitchen much better with the Silver Shadow units and are considering just getting one of those and lifting it ourselves...

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Ah! I'm just worried about my 5'4" wife as she's the one who enjoys cooking while camping. We were going to get the Rough Rider but we really like the kitchen much better with the Silver Shadow units and are considering just getting one of those and lifting it ourselves...

We much prefer the Silver Shadow kitchen as well.

Will Little Guy put a SS on a Rough Rider frame, or have they grown too big to build custom trailers?

We much prefer the Silver Shadow kitchen as well.

Will Little Guy put a SS on a Rough Rider frame, or have they grown too big to build custom trailers?
They won't do it anymore but there are a few SS with the RR frame still for sale at dealers around the country so I think I may be able to pick one of those up.

Gmanpaint

Hey Scott!

Just read the entire thread. I had no Idea you got into this. Just started a trailer build myself, and already making plans to head west with it. We are returning to Ouray in Sept 2018 for a meet. Come join us!

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Hey Scott!

Just read the entire thread. I had no Idea you got into this. Just started a trailer build myself, and already making plans to head west with it. We are returning to Ouray in Sept 2018 for a meet. Come join us!

Hey Gregg! Good to hear from you.

Ouray in Sept sounds great - I was just thinking I need to get back to Colorado.

I will put it on my calendar.

Gmanpaint

Right on! Can't wait to get back out there myself. We got a decent core group going, and you know most of them already. :)

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Flags

I have always liked seeing American flags flying above campers. I wanted one for the teardrop, but did not think a full-size flag would fit. And, there was the issue of how to mount it.

One day, cruising through the boat store, I found this:

f1.jpg

A marine flag, sewn in America! And, it has a mounting base that I can secure to the roof rack rail.

I picked up a couple of Yakima rail nuts, and voila!

f2.jpg

Not too big, but big enough.

Oh, I put another one on the kayak...

f3.jpg

Since this picture, I added a Georgia flag to the other side. :)

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Oops!

The inevitable happened - I bent a fender. :( It wasn't even off-road. A security gate started closing, and I had nowhere to go.

f1.jpg

I was bummed. But, this wasn't the first scratch on the fender, and it didn't hit the tire, so I could still pull the trailer. But still...

So, how to fix it? Fortunately, the trailer body where the fender is mounted was not damaged. Only the fender bent. I thought about pulling the fender off, making a jig to support it, bend it...

Then I got an idea!

f2.jpg

I locked the trailer in place, and braced the back of the fender so it could not move. Then, using a Hi-Lift, I moved the front edge back into place!

f3.jpg

Worked great!

There is still a small wrinkle in the fender lip, and a nice scratch/gouge on the front corner, but otherwise, the fender is straight!

4runnerteq

Explorer
Man. Thatll tick ya off right there. I scraped the fender on the SoCal on the corner of the garage back in the fall. Made me sick, and feel like a big stupie. Fortunately a little spray paint and good.

Scott B.

SE Expedition Society
Man. Thatll tick ya off right there. I scraped the fender on the SoCal on the corner of the garage back in the fall. Made me sick, and feel like a big stupie. Fortunately a little spray paint and good.

Yes.

However, if you look at the leading edge of the fenders (and doors and the trailer itself) there are plenty of rock chips. Bound to happen, especially when you drive off road.

Semi-Hex

Enfant Terrible

But now we know and will point and laugh! 😀

46flattie

Observer
Scott B. thank you for a great thread on your awesome teardrop. A couple of questions:

From one of your early posts in 2014...you comment on 5'x8' being the size most suited for your needs.

Is your LG SS a custom size (5x8)? I realize it is custom in terms of being on/or using some rough rider chassis components, custom axle, etc.
The reason I ask is the LG SS listed on the LG website is 5x10. I would like to consider something similar to what you did as I prefer the SS over the 5 wide RR in terms of looks and finish. I am considering purchasing a stripped down one for the same reasons you mentioned: hard to make time to build one, would like to camp now and customize as I go!

Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles