87 Ford E350 4x4

fritz

Traveler
I'm thinking of buying a 87 Ford E350 EB 4x4, 351W, C6 Transmission.

Am I crazy?:Wow1:

$_57-3-1.jpg

van steering 001-1.jpg

$_57-1-2.jpg

Last edited:

rockbender

Adventurer
You're probably pretty close on the MPG's - you may even see up to 12 if you are keeping it below 55 and have decent gearing. Any idea on the gears? Hopefully 3.55 or 3.73 with the C6.

I really like that top.

NorthernWoodsman

Adventurer/tinkerer
Yes, you are crazy for wanting to buy this van...and I totally support that kind of crazy. I think having a 460 would be better suited to handle the weight of the van though. Do you know who converted it to 4x4?

lndhark

Adventurer
Are the front spring shackles biased toward the front? Hmm...that doesn't look right to me, unless the photo is playing tricks on my mind. That won't be good for your ride quality!

fritz

Traveler
No idea on the gearing. Not sure about the placement of the spring shackles as I have only seen pictures. One off conversion. Thinking about buying a one way ticket 3/4 of the way across the country to check it out.

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Plus one on the shackles, but should be easily rectified witha front spring change. Body mounts look to be in the way of a shackle relocation. Plus side is you couldnt hardly ask for a better driveline angle.

I had a '79 F-series with a 351M. Best I EVER saw out of that truck was 11mpg highway, and the engine was not exactly a powerhouse in stock trim. AsI recall though it was the Ford version of Quadratrac system, so that 4x drive train was working all the time. I'm sure that impacted fuel mileage juuuust a bit. :)

fritz

Traveler
The one in Bend is nice looking also.

My biggest concern is the mpg. After poking around on the web it looks like my options are live with it, install fuel injection for a slight mpg gain, install a gear vendor for a slight mpg gain, install a 4BT and compatible trans but don't know what kind of gain I would see.

For the price of this van I could live with it for some time.

Will decide in the next week if I am gonna make the trip.

Couple more pics.

1-1.jpg

van steering 004-1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior