Grandby FWC on M101A2

sgiandubh

Observer
:coffee:
Cool build... I thought about doing this once before. Just never could find a candidate in good enough condition. Can't wait to see the finish product...

Thanks! I must say that finding one in good condition would be a priority if I did it again. But it has been really cool to build it out how I see fit. Definitely taking longer than I had hoped though!

sgiandubh

Observer
After I built the floor pack using the old pieces for a template, I realized that not only did it look silly, but the cutouts for the truck wheel wells accounted for a lot of wasted space. So... I rebuilt parts of the floor pack to take advantage of those areas. I built 2 boxes on each side and plan to use marine hatches for access. I have not decided if I will use the forward most box as a battery compartment or if I would rather have the batteries inside the camper.
IMG_2986.jpg
IMG_3200.jpg
New door from All Terrain Camper. I know...its a FWC but the price was right and Marty was awesome to work with. I ordered a replacement liner from him at the same time.
IMG_3207.jpg

sgiandubh

Observer
After a couple of coats of paint, I laid Reflectix down on all non-foam insulated surfaces. I don't have a good pic, but I put Reflectix on the sides of the floorpack under the carpet. I put down a sheet of 1/2" foam board on the floor to add a little insulation there.
IMG_3199.jpg
IMG_3204.jpg
IMG_3210.jpg

sgiandubh

Observer
Laminate flooring went in over the foam. Next up was to build the sleeping platform for my daughter with storage underneath. The access hole will be left open so that we can easily stuff duffel bags or backpacks underneath the platform.
IMG_3215.jpg
IMG_3217.jpg
IMG_3223.jpg
Furnace went back in after lubing up a noisy fan bearing.
IMG_3221.jpg

rwingnut

Observer
Wow, your build is looking good. Already the before/after photos are showing excellent progress. The flooring adds a classy touch.

sgiandubh

Observer
Here's where I am at on the interior. I never figured it would be hard to find countertop laminate. It seems that everyone just sells the premade countertops anymore. Thankfully, I was able to order a piece online. Gray formica will finish the countertop and I have a piece of 3/4" oak trim to finish the edge. The water tank is a Valterra tank that I got scratch and dent on Amazon. Sweet little tank. A little over 9 gallons and I will use it as a holding tank to feed the sink. I was able to use the existing drain hole for the sink, but the tank fill will have to be relocated from the rear of the camper to the side. The plan is to mount a 20-30 gallon tank under the trailer for bulk supply. We do a lot of winter camping so I didn't want to have to worry about frozen lines and water as we would if the underbelly tank was the only source.

I am undecided as how to finish the cabinets. The large cutout toward the rear of the camper is for an Engel SR70 fridge. I removed the propane locker to make room for it. I plan on mounting the propane on the tongue so it should work out ok. It remains to be seen how weatherproof the access door is, but it should provide plenty of ventilation for the fridge compressor. The middle cutouts will most likely be drawers and the large opening toward the front of the camper will probably be shelves. I'm not 100% sure on how I want them configured. I may wait until I have a couple of trips in it to see how things would work best.
Cabinet Storage.jpg
IMG_3231.jpg
IMG_3245.jpg
IMG_3246.jpg

Last edited:

sgiandubh

Observer
I left a space at the end of the cabinets for my electrical panel. Picture below shows the face of the electrical cabinet being test fit. I will put a locking door on it to keep curious little fingers out. The space on the main cabinet face will be used to mount the thermostat, solar charge controller and any switches and charge ports that I may want to add.

I replaced the completely perished foam tape that ran along the top of the camper frame with marine vinyl and trimmed it out with oak strips and stainless screws. Hopefully that will provide adequate abrasion protection for the side liner.
IMG_3382.jpg
IMG_3383.jpg
IMG_3381.jpg

sgiandubh

Observer
Made a little more progress. The formica is on the countertop. I have a strip of oak that i will use to trim out the front of the counter. I've also started tinkering with the tongue but don't have any substantive progress yet.

IMG_3391.jpg
IMG_3394.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior