Recomend an Android based tablet

java

Expedition Leader
Reread my post: "even if you're willing to build a custom cable, you can't have a semi-permanent setup where you can have expended storage without running on battery."

The issue is not the cabling. The issue is that switching the USB port to HOST mode changes the power pins from inputs to outputs (per USB standard, HOST always supplies power to the bus). The Nexus hardware is physically not capable of accepting a charge while it's set to HOST mode.

ah i see what your getting at! Duh....

I just charge mine at night when the truck is stopped.... battery is good enough so far.

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
No experience with it, but the specs look right for my purposes. I'm planning to dedicate a unit for navigation...

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
I was planning on running a dell venue pro with delormes gps unit. But dell screwed me around I cancelled my order and bought two asus vivotabs. The usb gps is out with these. I am now setting up an acer 210 10" tablet and a Bluetooth gps receiver to get more accurate and faster lock. I have co pilot loaded for on road nav and bacountry nav for backcountry duties.

Going to test it out this week and see how it goes! If it works, its a great budget system. 299 for the tablet, 40 for the bt receiver and another 30 for the obd2 receiver. I added a plug in inverter to keep the tablet powered while driving.

hoping to have it all set up for this years adventures.

Sabre

Overlanding Nurse
...Whenever anyone mentions the lack of external storage, the next sentence is usually that you can use USB OTG to plug in a USB stick. The problem nobody mentions is that enabling OTG *disables* charging. So, even if you're willing to build a custom cable, you can't have a semi-permanent setup where you can have expended storage without running on battery....

That's one of the reasons I chose the Nexus 10. I have the Pogo cable for power, leaving the mini USB free for data.

kojackJKU

Ok, tested Co-Pilot today with my A210. Works amazingly well. Very accurate. No need for a Bluetooth setup. quick lock on gps, and accurate. Next up is a test of backcountry nav and Canada topo. BCN is great but Canada TOPO has more up to date mapping with more detailed back country road systems.

off-roader

Expedition Leader
Nexus 10 doesn't have 3/4g, right? How do you handle mobile GPS?

Seems a lot of people automatically assume you need 3/4g for gps signals. In fact 3/4g is not a gps technology. It's a telephone data technology and relying on it for your mapping (which you can since it can triangulate to determine your location using cell towers) is fine so long as your mapping needs are in areas with cellular networks.

In places where there is no cell reception however (most remote US areas), a 3/4g only solution will not work for any kind of mapping requirement. This is where true GPS chipsets are needed. Luckily most modern phones and android tablets do have gps chipsets in addition to any 3/4g technology they may implement.

SGTCap,

I've tried switching to an Android device from my ipad setup using an ASUS transformer tablet. The device works fine and there are a number of options available for it but if I were to do it again, I'd use the most mainstream device available. The more mainstream it is the more options there are for it such as hard protective cases and secure reliable vehicle mounts etc.

kojackJKU

just as a note, my acer is not 3g/4g capable. only wifi and with a built in GPS chip. works like a charm.

Wh1t3nukle

I gotz dis
Ok, tested Co-Pilot today with my A210. Works amazingly well. Very accurate. No need for a Bluetooth setup. quick lock on gps, and accurate. Next up is a test of backcountry nav and Canada topo. BCN is great but Canada TOPO has more up to date mapping with more detailed back country road systems.

What the heck are you talking about here? Hardware, software, etc. details would go a long way.... I'm referring to Co-Pilot and I'm presuming by your last post Acer A210 laptop? Elaborate good buddy.

ExploringNH

Explorer
Seems a lot of people automatically assume you need 3/4g for gps signals. In fact 3/4g is not a gps technology. It's a telephone data technology and relying on it for your mapping (which you can since it can triangulate to determine your location using cell towers) is fine so long as your mapping needs are in areas with cellular networks.

In places where there is no cell reception however (most remote US areas), a 3/4g only solution will not work for any kind of mapping requirement. This is where true GPS chipsets are needed. Luckily most modern phones and android tablets do have gps chipsets in addition to any 3/4g technology they may implement.

SGTCap,

I've tried switching to an Android device from my ipad setup using an ASUS transformer tablet. The device works fine and there are a number of options available for it but if I were to do it again, I'd use the most mainstream device available. The more mainstream it is the more options there are for it such as hard protective cases and secure reliable vehicle mounts etc.

Most free GPS tablet/phone apps require network connectivity for downloading maps on the fly. I am aware that there are some nav programs that don't require network connectivity. The GPS chip will be used for locating regardless of which setup you have, although some tablets use network triangulation to speed up GPS acquisition. Netwrok connectivity is not a necessity, but it does impose limitations.

I picked up a Tab 3 7" tablet. It is just ok. Nothing remarkable about it. It does it's job well but isn't all that exciting to use. I'm happy with it but can't get the thought out of my mind that a 10.1" on the free t-mobile data plan would have been better suited for my needs.

kojackJKU

What the heck are you talking about here? Hardware, software, etc. details would go a long way.... I'm referring to Co-Pilot and I'm presuming by your last post Acer A210 laptop? Elaborate good buddy.

Im talking about how well Co pilot works on the acer 210 tablet. Im sort of referring to both hardware and software working as a unit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94