60qt Fridge... Too Big?

shfd739

Observer
Love the Hanna racks. One of the best mods I've made to our Cruiser. I did pull the passenger side rack out so that I could bolt my storage drawer to the floor plate.

Norcold rides in the 80. I have a drawer that it sits on top of on the passenger rear. I wired a 12volt outlet to that corner to power it. I also added a set of Slee Off-road tie downs to help secure it. The fridge matches the drawer foot print nicely and the drawer has all my tools and recovery gear. There is still room next to it for camp chairs, tent etc. I've also packed on top of it for one trip when I knew we wouldn't have to open it while traveling. No idea the amp draw.

Only pic I have is a cropped screen shot from a trip last year. It does take 2 people to load/unload from the truck when it's stocked with groceries. With the drawer's added height I can't open the lid quite enough to load the baskets.

u4yhypun.jpg

shfd739

Observer
Still just using the single truck batt..Ive found that running the truck every day or every other day I had no problems with the batt being discharged..Its only discharged once where the truck wouldnt start and that was after being on in the truck with 2 days of less than 10mins of driving then sitting for a day or so..If I was to leave it in the truck all the time Id add a second batt or a solar charge system with only one battery.

SteveG

Adventurer
Excellent. That's great information. Thank you. I plan to add a second battery but it's good to know that for the time being I can just put a good battery in it and run it like that without major problems.

I committed to buying the Norcold... looking forward to getting it!

loren85022

Explorer
We are currently on our maiden voyage with a 60qrt ARB (in trailer). Definitely spacious. My theory is to always opt for what makes the chef most happy on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoutn79

Adventurer
What size cooler are you using now? That might be the best way to go at this. If you are not filling up a 60qt cooler a 60qt fridge would be overkill. However if you are stuffing a 60qt cooler the fridge would be perfect (once you allow for the room the ice usually takes up). If you don't have the room for it in your rig then it wouldn't help at all.
YMMV
Darrell

shfd739

Observer
Excellent. That's great information. Thank you. I plan to add a second battery but it's good to know that for the time being I can just put a good battery in it and run it like that without major problems.

I committed to buying the Norcold... looking forward to getting it!

Awesome! Youre gonna enjoy using it. Check out the Slee tie downs http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_fridges.htm Pretty sure I had to get a larger screw than supplied to fit the 60..And consider a transit bag for the summer- it will make a nice improvement in how well it holds temp and cycles the compressor.

SteveG

Adventurer
Only pic I have is a cropped screen shot from a trip last year. It does take 2 people to load/unload from the truck when it's stocked with groceries. With the drawer's added height I can't open the lid quite enough to load the baskets.

u4yhypun.jpg

That wouldn't happen to be the Oceano Dunes gathering, would it?

Awesome! Youre gonna enjoy using it. Check out the Slee tie downs http://www.sleeoffroad.com/products/products_fridges.htm Pretty sure I had to get a larger screw than supplied to fit the 60..And consider a transit bag for the summer- it will make a nice improvement in how well it holds temp and cycles the compressor.

Nice. I was wondering how I would tie it down. I'll definitely order some of those brackets. I'll look into the transit bag, too. I also need to get a 12v cable for it. The current owner only used it on AC and didn't get a DC cable when he bought it. Is it some sort of standard connector at the fridge or will I need to buy one specific for the Fridge?

I already ran high-amp power to the back of my car and plan to build a short cord to go to the fridge.

SteveG

Adventurer
What size cooler are you using now? That might be the best way to go at this. If you are not filling up a 60qt cooler a 60qt fridge would be overkill. However if you are stuffing a 60qt cooler the fridge would be perfect (once you allow for the room the ice usually takes up). If you don't have the room for it in your rig then it wouldn't help at all.
YMMV
Darrell

Great way to look at it. For the longer trips (which this would be for), we often take two ice chests or our 100qt which is way too big. So, I think the 60 will suit us well.

shfd739

Observer
That wouldn't happen to be the Oceano Dunes gathering, would it?

Nice. I was wondering how I would tie it down. I'll definitely order some of those brackets. I'll look into the transit bag, too. I also need to get a 12v cable for it. The current owner only used it on AC and didn't get a DC cable when he bought it. Is it some sort of standard connector at the fridge or will I need to buy one specific for the Fridge?

I already ran high-amp power to the back of my car and plan to build a short cord to go to the fridge.

Nah it was a group trip down Padre island National Sea Shore last April. We were camped at the 35 mile marker down beach. I believe it's a specific 12v cord. Same one that fits the current Engels if I remember correctly. Ordered mine from Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters. The Slee tie downs just allow another option..Depending on vehicle Ill either wrap a strap around the handles or use turnbuckles on the Slee tie downs.

SteveG

Adventurer
Update: I picked up the cooler this past Saturday... love it! It is big it fits the cargo area well. It takes up a little less than half the cargo area. A good portion of it but I test fit all our camping gear in the car on Sunday and it all fits fine.

I've had it in the back of the car the past few days, playing with the temperature setting and checking battery draw.

shfd739, What setting do you generally keep yours at? Does the interior temperature stay consistent or does it change depending on ambient temperature? Do you leave it running overnight?

Thanks!

file.php

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior