How do you decide - kitchen/lid access positioning?

Septu

Explorer
Okay... So how does one decide as to which side of the trailer to place things (kitchen, lid opening, tent access, etc)?

Am planning on a pull out kitchen from the front quarter panel. And I would like that to be covered by the awning. Tent will be a clam shell type so access could be on either side... but likely on the opposite side as the kitchen. Which means while your kitchen will likely be positioned to be easily accessible to the camp site (I've found that they usually seem to be situated for passenger side access)... your ladder to access the tent is positioned into the bushes or something. Knowing my luck, when I get out in the middle of the night to take a leak, I'll either get poked in the face by some tree branch, or trip over a prickly bush or something silly.

Have thought about a tent with rear access... but still haven't made up my mind yet.

Other than personal preference, is there benefit to one or the other?

Crush Jeep

Adventurer
I have my lid open from the passenger side, incase I pull off the road and need to access the trailer while traveling. I'm out of the traffic if I have to get something. The tent folds out to the drivers side so that you can still open the lid and have the tent deployed. I don't have any type of kitchen pull out but my I set up a tarp on the passenger side and cook under it. It works for me.

jklimo

I am building the same, and am in the process of finishing my slide out 3 burner kitchen. I have it on the drivers side covered with an awning. the lid opens from the passenger side. I also have a tailgate . as well as the tent and ladder are passenger side accessible.

/dev/m416

/dev/yj tow vehicle
One cool technique is to back into your camping spot, jack-knifing the trailer to the left, and using the trailer and whatever hatchback, tailgate, truck bed, etc. storage you have right along with the trailer. That implies a right-side opening. Folks who have right-hand drive vehicles might find the opposite to be true.

Kevin Braun

Mountain Biker
I've had the same question. I'm working on an idea of a sliding lid or a lid partitioned so it can slide either way and double as a work surface.

miller_au

Adventurer
I have planned my kitchen to open on the passenger side so it can be accessed while on the side of the road. I would also have it open from the passenger side for the same reason.

scramfan01

Adventurer
I have my lid open on the drivers side. My kitchen is also on the drivers side. My tent deploys to the passenger side because of the way campgrounds are layed out. I too, like to turn my trailer in there sideways.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles